2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Confirmed on the beeb....

Samson to Leave St Midden

St Mirren manager Danny Lennon confirmed goalkeeper Craig Samson could join Scottish Premier League rivals Motherwell in the summer.

Samson's contract is expiring and he appeared to be waving his goodbyes after the 0-0 draw with Aberdeen.

“I can totally understand why a talent like that would want to seek out new opportunities.” Danny Lennon on Paul McGowan "We got contact from Motherwell to say they would be open to negotiations with him and he's holding on to what his right is," Lennon told BBC Scotland.

"We made a good offer for him, but he wants to hold out for more."

And Lennon added: "He's earned the right to be number one.

"He believes in himself, and regardless, I want to thank him for his efforts and let's see where it takes him.

Not convinced. Can't see him generating the 12/15 points a season Darren Randolph has...

Randolph has had the least amount of shut outs in the SPL, Samson has had 3 more. Depends how you look at it. I'm sure St Mirren fans would say Samson has generated at least 12/15 points too. I think he is an excellent keeper who will do very well if he signs.

I've never really rated Samson, I'd prefer if he was coming in as backup to Hollis.

Here's what my St. Mirren supporting mate had to say on him:

Doesn't come off his line, and when he does looks a threat to the team he playing for...no mans land off the line, good athletic shot stopper...does tend to let in easier shots though..definitely overrated but a decent keeper...not too bothered to seem him go, 50/50

I've never really rated Samson, I'd prefer if he was coming in as backup to Hollis.

Here's what my St. Mirren supporting mate had to say on him:

Unfortunately that's what worries me, he could be 2nd choice to Hollis. To me Hollis is decent back up but I really do not see him as a first choice goalkeeper.

McCall is a good manager, but every manager has good and bad signings..Daley for me has been a disaster. So I won't go with the McCall we trust shout. With our ever decreasing budget we need to keep bringing in the players who can either maintain our standing in the league or improve it and I personally feel this guy is a huge step backwards. No sign that we could sell him on as he will be the wrong side of 30 and at that age your sell on value usually plummets. He hasn't exactly stood out at St. Mirren and his shot stopping is questionable by his own fans, which as a goalkeeper is your main job. I will, of course, support any player who wears the claret and amber but I don't see him as being a replacement for Hollis never mind Randolph.

Dave's Saints supporting mate will know better than me, I also plan to get the view of the Saints fan at work this week too as it happens, but, as a support they supposedly weren't that bothered when Higdon came to us and look how that one turned out.

But look at it this way, if a Motherwell player is scorning my team to go to a "rival" team I'm not going to be overly amused about it. If asked I'm going to be playing down their abilities, partly because I don't want to let the other lot think they've got one over on us by signing one of their players and partly because I'm quietly miffed that they've chosen another team over mine.

Trouble is even when we're second we can't get folk through the turnstiles. We signed Faddy and it couldn't bring lapsed supporters back.

Our budget is decreasing year on year, so as a support we've no right whatsoever to 'expect' maintaining our standing or improving.

The achievements we've witnessed from our club of late have been nothing short of astounding and that's taking into account that our model of funding ourselves through transfers has been very unsuccessful of late.

Next year, I 'expect' us to stay up. I 'hope' we challenge for Europe again.

• Like 9

Was Samson not involved in the Scotland squad?

Not that that is any great relevance these days, but suggests he is/was doing enough to impress.

Agree with Diggle. Expectations to maintain current standing??? What you mean 2nd or 3rd. Some fans are in for Almighty shock. Our budget is being reduced as we made a loss last financial year. Our support has remained static, but away support has fallen through the floor.

Still today is about celebrating what has been a great season, not about worrying for the future...so I will shut up :-)

Really don't see what Hollis has done for some people to suggest he should be our first choice keeper.

He looked a nervous wreck when he came on against St Johnstone and was at fault for the late Aberdeen goal in the cup tie at pittodrie. Nothing against him but I'd rather we brought another keeper in as first choice and kept Hollis as backup.

Older posters may recall a similar debate when it was announced we were signing Stuart Rennie from Falkirk after we lost Peter McCloy and Keith MacRae. He turned out to be one the best 'keepers to play for us.

Rennie had a hard act to follow and despite a few dodgy moments (Airdrie Cup semidry.gif) he was a very good keeper.

58d431c3.jpg

Talking of those Airdrie semi finals, is there any video footage kicking about of those games?

Really don't see what Hollis has done for some people to suggest he should be our first choice keeper.

He looked a nervous wreck when he came on against St Johnstone and was at fault for the late Aberdeen goal in the cup tie at pittodrie. Nothing against him but I'd rather we brought another keeper in as first choice and kept Hollis as backup.

Too much to drink that day obviously - only 2 to blame for that goal - Higdon and Humphrey.

Also conveniently forgetting the 2 first class saves in the first 10 minutes to keep us in the game. Hollis hasn't let us or himseld down in any games he started.

• Like 1

Rennie had a hard act to follow and despite a few dodgy moments (Airdrie Cup semidry.gif) he was a very good keeper.

58d431c3.jpg

Talking of those Airdrie semi finals, is there any video footage kicking about of those games?

God I hope not - still have nightmares about those games yet - going to school in Airdrie and having Derek Whiteford as my PE and Guidance teacher didn't help either.

Certainly wouldn't call it a 'dodgy moment' in terms of performance, just an over picky referee. Don't recal ever seeing that 4 step rule applied either before or after that.

Was Samson not involved in the Scotland squad?

Not that that is any great relevance these days, but suggests he is/was doing enough to impress.

Agree with Diggle. Expectations to maintain current standing??? What you mean 2nd or 3rd. Some fans are in for Almighty shock. Our budget is being reduced as we made a loss last financial year. Our support has remained static, but away support has fallen through the floor.

Still today is about celebrating what has been a great season, not about worrying for the future...so I will shut up :-)

Seriously, Yes, I expect us as a club to achieve top six. I think that is a realistic expectation for our club. I remember the old days as well. However I am quite optimistic that despite our low wage budget there is a desire for players to come and ply their trade here. Over the years we have gave players who were going nowhere a chance to play first team football and they have went on to play in big clubs down south. So I don't think my expectations are set too highly, some folk need to stop being so damn pessimistic. We all know what out attendances have been and we have to cut our cloth to adjust. However so many other clubs in this league are in a far worse position and I don't see anything extraordinary about maintaining our high standard of attacking play. We have lost big players before and survived and even improved, so it's not impossible to maintain out standards.

Stuart McCall was also asked about a move for St Mirren keeper Craig Samson, and replied that he left signing keepers to goalkeeping coach Gordon Marshall: "I know more about gardening than goalies," he said.