2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Yes i think 6 players will be leaving this summer so it'll be a new Motherwell team for next season. The good news is we can and will always be able to bring a decent calibre of player to the Ark so let's hope we do so again. We need them in pretty soon too for the Europa qualifiers. I just have a felling that Higdon will stay too. :thumbup:

notworthy.gif DARREN RANDOLPH notworthy.gif

Great words from him, really sad that he will be leaving us but wish him well for the future & will be keeping tabs on him wherever he goes.

Darren Randolph was given the captaincy for the day and the departing goalkeeper was taken off during injury time, so he could wave goodbye to the crowd.

"I've loved it from the first day," said the Irishman who moved to Fir Park in 2010.

"I've had cup finals, semi finals and European nights.

"A bit of silverware would have been nice but you can't be too greedy.

"I've been involved with a great team and it's been brilliant while it's lasted."

Not convinced. Can't see him generating the 12/15 points a season Darren Randolph has...

Randolph is the best I've seen in my 30 years of going to Fir Park so the chances of getting someone as good or better is extremely unlikely.

I think fans are just going to have to accept our next goalkeeper isn't going to be as good as Randolph.

Samson was tremendous 2 seasons ago but not quite as good this season but he's a decent goalkeeper, probably in the top 6 in the league and on the edge of international recognition so on the face of it a decent replacement.

As it seems likely he will be our goalkeeper next season I think fans should not only give him a chance but also cut him some slack because it might be another 30 years before we have a goalkeeper as good as Randolph again.

Only needs 24 goals to over take Stevie Kirk's Premier League total. Can do that in a season, surely? :thumbup:

Given our record against St. Johnstone, he might do it next week... :evilgrin:

Samson will do us fine, I think. He isn't Randolph, but we've got to temper our expectations on that a bit. He's fairly competent, which is all I really expect from a keeper, anything above that is a bonus.

On the Samson debate; I reckon he'd be a solid enough replacement. I've been generally impressed by him most times I've watched the 'Well play St. Mirren. I wouldn't worry about a Buddie saying he's shite and isn't bothered about him going too. Some of them were saying the same things about Micheal 'the best player in Scotland' Higdon when he moved to us too.

According to the Express:

My link

We're about to seal deals for both Samson and Paul Lawson of County. With Law apparently off to Sevco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpg1b3WGRYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cJMg8bNnvs

Here he is in action. Have to say if we were signing anyone from County I'd have loved it to be Vigurs. Don't know much about Lawson but his return to the County team around Christmas seem to have coincided with great run they went on that propelled them into the top six.

What a poorly written\lazy piece of journalism with the reporter having a paragraph stating Birmingham are looking at a deal for Law only to squeeze in at the end he's also expected to seal a deal with Sevco! Samsons looked a good shot stopper anytime weve played against them, in McCall we trust!

Comments from McCall in Evening Times.

Would be great if the 4 guys mentioned were still here next season.

The problem now for McCall is the rebuilding exercise that he faces this summer with a mass exodus of players expected.

He has already given up on Nicky Law and Randolph, but he has not ruled out persuading Tom Hateley, Higdon, Humphrey or McFadden to stay.

"Michael likes to be loved and he is certainly loved here," said McCall. "Chris, Tom and Michael are in the same boat in that they are weighing things up. It is not out of the question that they would stay.

"We are not forcing them to decide in the next few days but over the next few weeks we will need to know where we stand.

"We haven't offered James anything yet. We will wait and see what happens over the summer and see if we can maybe persuade the directors to put their hands in their pocket again."

if Humphrey does indeed go - what the thoughts on Sproule replacing him? Whilst I accept he isnt the most talented player in the world, he certainly offers alot of what Humphrey has. And seems to chip in with some goals too.

If he does go, i think he'll be sorely missed - a player that has the threat he has is always going to make teams really think about how to deal with it. He takes some amount of pressure off the team by carrying the ball up the park and he is a great outball.

I was also quite impressed by Fotheringham yday when he came on - show some nice footwork, nice passes and a few tackles in there too

if Humphrey does indeed go - what the thoughts on Sproule replacing him? Whilst I accept he isnt the most talented player in the world, he certainly offers alot of what Humphrey has. And seems to chip in with some goals too.

If he does go, i think he'll be sorely missed - a player that has the threat he has is always going to make teams really think about how to deal with it. He takes some amount of pressure off the team by carrying the ball up the park and he is a great outball.

I was also quite impressed by Fotheringham yday when he came on - show some nice footwork, nice passes and a few tackles in there too

A no from me on both counts. Sproule is the wrong side of 30 and beat his man for the first time after about an hour yesterday. Capable of a moment of magic every six months, but age has slowed his pace, he's not going to improve much at this point either. In decent form at County, but I wouldn't fancy him at this stage, far rather take a punt on someone younger.

Fotheringham is a good player, but everywhere he's been, he's not really had a position. Decent touch, yeah, but he's never been fit enough to be a box to box player, not tough or physical enough to be a ball winner, and not quite good enough to play as a deeper creative player. His attitude almost everywhere he's been has been pretty questionable as well. He's a player that should've had much more from the game, but he's approaching 30 and has spent most of his career tooling about in lower divisions on short term contracts. Avoid.