2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Exactly. There are exceptions, but these days (especially at our level) there are plenty of available players out there looking for clubs - so a Board usually has plenty of options and can afford to wait to see.

Look at the quality of guys we have brought in on frees (from Randolph and Ojamaa to Law and McFadden) and you can see why there isn't a mad rush to pay hard cash these days.

Pretty much, there are endless amounts of footballers available for free, as we well know, and not much the way of clubs willing to pay for them. The best hope we have of making any money for a player is if they're a talented teenager and they get picked up for a Premiership's U21 side/Championship team, someone like Kennedy at Killie going to Everton for a bit of cash, or Aberdeen getting money for Fraser.

The number of clubs in Scotland selling players over the age of 23 must be at a premium. Killie managed to ship one of their diddy centre-halfs off to Bradford for a small amount of cash, but I can't actually think of many more than that.

Aye I have heard from a few sources that they are very very close to admin again. Not sure if they will survive another season in Scotlands lower leagues.

As for Law signing for them. Its probably a good move financially, but a terrible move in the progression of his career.

I still think he has just spoke to them out of politeness. He is not daft and will know the risks of signing for them.

That's what paw Broon said about Aberdeen and I believed the auld goat. Twice bitten and all that.

I would have been okay with us signing Samson but I don't think I'm alone in saying I wasn't entirely convinced and won't be overly upset if Killie do get him. I certainly wouldn't be getting into a bidding war, I'd stick with our original offer of what we thought he was worth and tell him to take it or leave it. If he thinks he can get more money from Kilmarnock or elsewhere then good luck to him.

Carey released by st Mirren.

Not a bad player with one hell of a left peg....just not sure where he fits in to our style of play? Got Hammell and zfa for left back. Suppose if faddy, Humphrey and Higginbotham leave then there's a few wide midfield positions going but would he fit the bill in that role?

On the law to sevco thing...I genuinely feel that if he was going to them we would know by now. If there's championship teams in for him (that he's yet to speak to in person) then thats surely what he's holding out for. If his heart was set on sevco, he would have signed already. I really hope I'm right anyway.

saying on the radio killie are now favourites to sign samson! and I'm kind of relieved

Sounds to me that Sheils has let slip that Samson's agent has been on the dog and bone to Killie. Just doing his job I guess touting his player around for the best offer.

That said if I was McCall I would say here is the offer you have 1 week to make a decision and then we move on. I guess we have been spoilt with Randolph and Ruddy and Samson is probably as good a standard as we can get in out price range so to speak, but I would not p1ss about as if it were Faddy we were waiting on.

Was more intrigued about the keeper from Oldham. If we do our homework I think we have more of a chance of getting someone nearer Randolph standard down there.

Was more intrigued about the keeper from Oldham. If we do our homework I think we have more of a chance of getting someone nearer Randolph standard down there.

Agreed. Even Hibs managed to pick up a good keeper from down south last summer.

Killie's interest in Samson has been the best transfer news so far.

• Like 1

Glad to hear Killie have suddenly found a limitless source of income that gives their manager the ability just to sign players with no intention of using them, simply to prevent the Mighty 'Well getting these players who arent good enough for Killie

can only be good for Scottish football that

the above reasoning, must be true :rolleyes:

:doh:

• Like 1

Regardless of who he is trying to sign and why, Kenny Shiels is a dickhead!

Oh and somebody at the SPL should be asking about Kilmarnock's financial status because its only a couple of months since they had a winding order against them for a bill of £15K.dry.gif

Just feel like a wee ramble, here goes

The killie & samson story sounds like an agent trying to increase competition and maximise the earning potential for his client. A few years ago we had interest in Dargo and made an offer, but allowed st mirren to offer more; same approach required here. Set a value and time limit, be prepared to move on.

On our own out of contract players, I hope the club apply the same rule.

I think 2 years for Higdon with an uplift in salary would be a reasonable offer; he had a tremendous season in his 'contract year' but I think it will be difficult to repeat, particularly in the second year of a new deal (age / injuries). I wouldnt be offering a third year just to keep him.

Plenty agents will be shopping their players to us knowing we have a tight squad, so great chance to guarantee games, europe on cv, and improve future earning potential for their next contract term. This is win-win for player & club; the new jennings, randolph & law. Just have to pick carefully. Inverness built a complete new team last season with almost as many players as Harry Kampman brought in one year, and they done not bad this year!

My focus this offseason would be to work with Hutchinson, Ojaama and other assets, to try add years to their deals and maybe have some leverage another club wants to buy them. Looking ever the more likely that both Hutchinson and Ojaama will go for nothing next year or peanuts in either the summer or january transfer window.

Oh and somebody at the SPL should be asking about Kilmarnock's financial status because its only a couple of months since they had a winding order against them for a bill of £15K.dry.gif

Good point. Seemingly they can afford 2 goalies who were playing first team football with other SPL clubs.:scratchhead:

Appears Samson won't be coming having turned down our offer..

CRAIG Samson has rejected the chance to play Europa League football with Motherwell next season in order to return to his roots with Kilmarnock.

The 29-year-old goalkeeper, who has turned down the offer of a new contract at St Mirren, had been offered the chance to replace Darren Randolph – who has agreed to join Birmingham City – but told the Steelmen yesterday that he won't be coming.

Samson would have been Motherwell's No  1 next season but he now faces a battle with Antonio Reguero, who also snubbed the opportunity to play in Europe with Inverness to sign a pre-contract agreement with Kenny Shiels' side.

Killie are expecting to lose first-choice Cammy Bell to Rangers, while No 2 Kyle Letheren trained with St Mirren last week and Finland keeper Anssi Jaakkola is out of contract.

Samson began his career with Kilmarnock in 2001 and won six Scotland under-21 caps during his time there. However, it was only after joining St Mirren in 2010 that he finally established himself as a regular in the SPL, earning two call-ups to the Scotland squad.

Motherwell will go with Randolph's understudy, Lee Hollis, next season.

My link

Can't say I'm overly upset to be honest. Although the bit that says we're going to go with Lee Hollis does concern me slightly. I've nothing against Lee and in a way I do think he probably does deserve a chance to prove himself as he's not done a great deal wrong whenever I've seen him. However I remain to be convinced and say he drops a few clangers and doesn't start the season well, then what? Our only alternative is the inexperienced 18 year Ross Stewart.

Hope we bring in some competition, whatever happened to the Australian boy Ciask we supposedly had on trial?

The Samson thing is just this years Ryan Stevenson or John Kennedy. We get on better in cases where we go under the radar and manage to avoid any party leaking to the press prior to the deal being done. With Killie I suppose it's payback for Las after his return from Plymouth.

Overall, not upset

Would be happy if we can find another keeper from down south on a season long loan like we did with Ruddy.

If we could get a deal paying a small percentage of their wage for the season it would free up more money for retaining/bringing in other players.

The Ruddy example could be used to sell it to clubs/players as that certainly worked out well for him & Everton.

Not particularly fussed about Samson not coming. Did not strike me as particularly good or bad just your average SPL keeper. But I am sure he felt safer in taking the Killie job as it would have a tougher at Well living up to Randolph. A few bad games and the fans would be on his back. He doesnt have much to live up to at Killie.

Not particularly fussed about Samson not coming. Did not strike me as particularly good or bad just your average SPL keeper. But I am sure he felt safer in taking the Killie job as it would have a tougher at Well living up to Randolph. A few bad games and the fans would be on his back. He doesnt have much to live up to at Killie.

Ridiculously harsh on Cammy Bell if you ask me.