2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

think we have dodged a bullet, time for hollis to step up and secure that number 1 shirt and the Scotland number 1 jersey too... :drinks:

he's no really had a fair chance, start against celtic with a really poor side compared to the side Randolph had, and I'm sure he kept a clean sheet vs Clyde in another start and can't think of any other games we lost.. draw with aberdeen away and wins vs county and st johnstone with him!

• Like 1

By all accounts Samson is a Killie fan.

Fair play to him, we'd all do the same in his position.

With Samson we knew what we were getting, a decent to good, solid SPL level keeper with experience, I'm sure we'll bring someone else but it might be more of a risky signing.

While I'd have been perfectly happy with Samson, it isn't like we're scrabbling about a couple of days before kick off trying to find a keeper, we've got plenty time and I presume, plenty targets as well. We just move to the next on the list.

Are you suggesting Cammy Bell is as good as Randolph? Dont think so. Easier to live up to Cammy Bell than the best goalie in the SPL last season.

No.

Nonetheless Cammy Bell has probably been the best keeper Killie have had for a considerable time. Therefore Samson will have something to live up to at Rugby park.

To be honest I'm of much the same opinion - were we not linked with him years back, way before Celtic?

Would be worth a punt if only to add another member to the 'Footballers who don't look like Footballers' Club, after Higgy.

mccourt was on trial with us at some point during butchers time here,if i mind right it was something to do with his fitness that he never got signed

:lol: Is that what actually happened, or is it bending the truth a wee bit? I can't even imagine how unfit McCourt was before he ended up at Celtic.

McCourt was really unfit at Motherwell when on trial and malpas correctly punted him.

Lets be honest here McCourt has probably had about an hour of great football with Celtic - the rest has been utter shite.

If he wasn't a wee gypsy chain smoker then he could have been an incredible footballer.

:lol: Is that what actually happened, or is it bending the truth a wee bit? I can't even imagine how unfit McCourt was before he ended up at Celtic.

Bending it a wee bit, but he definitely had Paddy McCourt on trial here and let him go (likely due to fitness reasons) and he definitely signed the aforementioned three duds.

• Like 1

Apparently during his first preseason at Parkhead, they were running and Artur Boruc was a mile ahead of him. That unfit...

Fair play to him, obviously thinks he'll have a better long term options by playing week in, week out. Someone more in know might correct me, but seems to me that Birmingham has been a pretty decent place over the last few seasons for 'keepers with Joe Hart and Jack Butland both getting recognition playing there and the rewards that brings. Perhaps Randy sees that option as more favourable than warming the bench behind Tim Howard.

I think one of the major reasons that we have been so successful over the past few seasons is because we have changed our player strategy by avoiding signing players who have already been around the block a few times with other Scottish clubs. Bringing in young players from down south with potential and who are keen to advance their careers is, in my opinion the way we should continue, if possible.

So I was not too keen on signing a 29 year old goalie who has been around the block a few times. That and the fact Gordon Marshall recommended him. evilgrin.gif