2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

THANKS and praise one minute, criticism and abuse the next.

Nicky Law was left heartbroken as he went from hero to zero in the eyes of some Well fans.

Just hours after the out-of-contract midfielder received a standing ovation on his final appearance at Fir Park, the Twitter trolls were pouring out their bile.

Law’s ‘crime’ was to confirm he’d held talks with Rangers boss Ally McCoist. Enough to see him castigated by a section of the Fir Park support.

The 24-year-old was accused of being a money-grabber, lacking in ambition.

Last night Law, who turned down a whopping £100,000 to sign for Well in the first place, revealed: “I got dog’s abuse on Twitter after fans read I’d spoken to Rangers.

“I was being called all sorts. But money has never been my motivation and never will be.

“I turned down a £100,000 signing-on fee at Crawley Town to join Motherwell.

“It’s ironic now that people are saying I’m only interested in the money.

“Two years ago, it would’ve been easy for me to take the money and stay down there.

“I was only 22 and that’s a lot of money. I could have picked up my money, but it wasn’t my motivation.

“I spoke to the manager here and he convinced me coming to Motherwell was the right thing to do.”

Law has much to consider as he ponders the most important move of his career.

He and Gers are poles apart in negotiations, while clubs down south remain keen.

Law added: “It’s been made to look like a move to Rangers is done and dusted. That’s far from the case. I have two Championship managers to speak to next week.

“The main thing for me is to establish whether or not I’m in their plans as a player and not just a squad member. I don’t want to join a club and be sat on the bench.

“From the Championship I could be sent back out on loan to League Two and I’ve been there, done that. It would be a backwards step.

“People somehow got it into their heads I was going to Rangers. They were saying I had no ambition and it was all about the money. That’s just not true.

“Anyway, I’m sure there would be a lot more on offer in the Championship.

“I’ll give it another week because there are still a few clubs I need to speak to.”

Wherever he ends up, Law knows it’ll be difficult to craft as good a relationship as he’s had with current Well boss Stuart McCall.

He added: “The fact I didn’t go to Crawley wasn’t about the money, it was more about the manager here and the influence he has and will continue to have on me.

“That made my decision to move on this summer all the more difficult.

“He’s a brilliant manager. I’ve grown up with him and he’s all I’ve known really.

“When I left Bradford to go to Rotherham, I didn’t want to phone up and tell him I was leaving. I wanted my dad or my agent to do it.

“But they rightly made me do it and it was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do.

“It was the same this time when I told him I wouldn’t be re-signing at Motherwell.

“But I will stay in touch with Stuart.

“My dad was his boss at Bradford and he actually released him. If he can survive that I’m sure we will stay close. Who knows, I might even play for him again one day.”

Law is in demand after an outstanding season saw him named in the SPL Team of the Year.

He took his final bow at Fir Park in Well’s 2-0 win over Ross County last weekend.

Law said: “I was genuinely humbled by the reception.

“The manager had said on the Friday I’d be leaving.

“You hope you have made an impression on the fans because I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Motherwell.

“The whole ground seemed to be on its feet when I went off. It was quite emotional.

“I have had an unbelievable two years here. It has completely exceeded my expectations.

“From my point of view, it’s just as important I get the chance to say thank you to the fans.

“I hope they understand my decision to leave. It’s with a heavy heart that I’m going.”

This twitter thing really is pathetic, leave it to the kids to play with. Grown-up footballers really ought to know better.

I'm not aware of any widespread abuse or criticism - some comments yes but not a huge amount. I seem to recall Nicky also got involved in a cyberspat with Rotherham fans when he joined us.

Incidentally what is the source of the quote.

Law added: “It’s been made to look like a move to Rangers is done and dusted. That’s far from the case. I have two Championship managers to speak to next week.

Yeah, and guess who was responsible for that, Nicky? The same fuckwits who are trying to make Motherwell fans look bad.

• Like 1

The comments directed at Law had the word 'if' in front of the vast majority.

Most started with 'hope nicky law doesn't . . .

If you were to summarise the general tone it would be 'don't do it Nicky'

Don't let that stand in the way of a petted lip tho

McCall: No approach from Sheffield United

From BBC

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall says there has been no contact from Sheffield United regarding their managerial vacancy.

The Blades are searching for Danny Wilson's successor after losing out to Yeovil in the League One play-offs.

Former United midfielder McCall insists he has not been approached.

"It's not definite I'll be speaking to anyone," he added.

Chris Morgan, caretaker boss at Sheffield United, is one of seven candidates to be interviewed for the managerial vacancy.

McCall has steered 'Well to second in the Premier League this season, and was named Clydesdale Bank Manager of the Year.

He played for Sheffield United for a three-year spell from 2002 but insists he has had no contact with his former club.

"I've obviously heard the speculation but I don't know anything about them coming to get me on Monday," McCall said.

"I'm supposed to be going away somewhere on Monday, so they'd have to seek high and low!

"I know there's been speculation; I've been very fortunate to inherit a good bunch and we've added a few. It's about the players at the end of the day. Kenny (Black) and the staff have been terrific.

"You can't stop speculation and I've never once, I've said this to you before, looked to go elsewhere when I was a player, coach or manager. I'll never seek to go anywhere.

"If somebody comes to you to put an offer to you, or wants to speak to you, then I suppose you'd be willing to listen.

"There was a lot of speculation at Christmas time, when there was a lot jobs down south but I had no interest then and wanted to finish the season and look to keep as many players here as we can.

"It's speculation, who knows? We'll wait and see. The [Motherwell] board have always been open with me as I've been with them."

EDIT: Meant to post in the McCall thread :doh:

Edited by NottsMFC

Ramsden signing would be a very good piece of business. I feel we are only just starting to see the best of him after a few niggly injuries earlier in the season. Its also no coincidence that Big Hutch has started to come onto a game since Ramsden hit some form.