2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

It's disappointing to see the lads released but that's football. We have a really small budget which will probably be cut again in the summer, we simply can't afford to give contracts to guys like Devlin, Hethrington & Watt if McCall doesn't believe they can contribute to the 1st team. If he wants to try and keep Higdon, or try and lure a decent replacement for him, Law & Randolph etc. then he'll need to trim the squad and every penny will count. I'm sure in an ideal world, McCall would offer some of them a year extension to give them a chance to see if they can force their way into the 1st team but it's simply not financial viable. It was much the same when Lawless left last year. Devlin, Watt & Hethrington will all be in their 20's at the start of next season and if they can't force their way into the team then it will be a waste of time for them as well as the club. They'd be best going out in my opinion and getting 1st team football elsewhere rather than playing in our reserves and occasionally warming the bench or getting the odd cameo.

Time will tell if these boys will go on to have good careers elsewhere but McCall obviously doesn't believe they are worth giving a wage to next season in relation to the contribution they'll make to the 1st team. That's the job he's paid to do and we just have to let him get on with it. Not many boys we release go on to make it elsewhere but I hope these boys like the others that will be released get sorted up somewhere next season and get to progress their careers next season.

• Like 1

i doubt money is the reason. hetherington had a great game in valencia but struggled in his only spl start and i think we all over rated devlin because he was playing first team football before he signed. it's very disappointing that watt never got a chance.

the youth system seems to have dropped off a fair bit. possibly feeling the delayed effect of chris mccart leaving?

In fairness, despite the stick our youth policy is getting it's interesting to note that 10 of the 18 man squad that played against Ross County last week had played for our youth team at some point.

Stevie Hammell

Keith Lasley

James McFadden

====================

Shaun Hutchinson

Adam Cummins

Zaine Francis Angol

========================

Fraser Kerr

Stewart Carswell

Bob McHugh

Ross Stewart

Misleading slightly as the first 3 all made their debuts over 10 years ago! Of the other 7, 3 were picked up as teenagers from down South but did play in our youth team and the other 4 have all came right through the youth system with the exception of Kerr who was snapped up by Birmingham when he was 16 and has since been loaned back.

I think that's a decent number of youth players even if you take away the elder three, also shows some decent scouting to pluck a good few of the scrapheap from down South. Add in Craig Moore, Lee Erwin who'll be pushing for the 1st team next season(although you'd probably be better asking Noah Dosser as I don't get to see a great deal of the youth team), and I don't think we're doing too bad. As hard as it is, we don't owe these boys a living and only a certain number from each age group will make it. It's up to them to prove they're worth a contract and McCall obviously feels none of the boys released are. It must be hard to tell these young boys they have no future at the club but that's his job and we pay him to make these decisions.

I say this each year but I can't think of too many if any players who we've released who've went on to prove us wrong..

mchugh and carswell are the only two there who are recent products of our youth development (and mchugh made his debut 5 years ago)

picking up guys released by bigger clubs like zaine, cummins and hutchy is important but compared to other spl clubs we haven't made much progress developing local kids.

mchugh and carswell are the only two there who are recent products of our youth development (and mchugh made his debut 5 years ago)

picking up guys released by bigger clubs like zaine, cummins and hutchy is important but compared to other spl clubs we haven't made much progress developing local kids.

I'm sure Hutchy was picked up from boys club football as most are prior to entering our youth system...

And McHugh is decidedly average at that,dissappointed we gave him another 2 years tbh. Our youth development is shite really,Carswell is the only player we've had come thro in years. Cummins,ZFA,Hutch were all signed for the 19s and every1 else has been ditched.

We seem to regularly have several players in scotland u16/17/19 teams then from 19's they stagnate. Question has to be asked,Why?? I also feel sorry for this years u20 team. No coach till after season started,no pre season,and a squad of mainly 16/17 yo kids playing essentially reserve team football and getting regularly hammered. That's gonna do fuck all to develop a player

I'm sure Hutchy was picked up from boys club football as most are prior to entering our youth system...

his mum and dad were lucky enough to be sat next to me on a flight to the steaua game. he was at sunderland, released and then had a choice of swansea and us.

Sad to hear.

We're having a slender run of bringing players through.

McCall takes after his old gaffer Walter Smith. Youth will only get a chance if there is no other option.

Don't want to harp on about year old news but surely Lawless would have been a better member of our squad than Omar Daley this season?

McCall takes after his old gaffer Walter Smith. Youth will only get a chance if there is no other option.

Don't want to harp on about year old news but surely Lawless would have been a better member of our squad than Omar Daley this season?

This is pish, frankly. We've got a youthful team and even if we do have older players, like lasley, hammell and higdon, why would we drop them this season? Who from the youth teams has ever shown that they've got what it takes after leaving us? Are they setting the heather alight and proving McCall wrong?

Lawless might've been an option, but he needed games. How many has Daley had this season? Would he have dislodged Law, Ojamaa or Murphy? Doubtful.

I think sometimes our youth development work gets underplayed. Take the earlier posts about Shaun Hutchinson for example where it almost comes across as if somehow being attached to another senior club previously has devalued our contribution in his development.

He came to the club as a midfielder and by virtue of the work done at Motherwell has been transformed into one of the country's most promising central defenders, was mooted to be an injury away from an England U21 call up and had Championship teams bidding for him last summer. Just because he happened to be on the books of Sunderland or whoever earlier in his teens and wasn't Lanarkshire born and bred should not detract from the job done since he came to Motherwell.

And it begs the question at what stage do youths become a Motherwell product. Did Lasley for example not have a time in his youth at Kilmarnock? Was McFadden not on the book at Clyde at one stage?

Does a kid have to live in the shadow of Fir Park, join at the age of six and go right through into the first team and be sold for a £1m before being considered a "pure" product of your system?

For me it doesn't really matter when or how they get to Motherwell, its what happens when we have them with us.

• Like 3

I think sometimes our youth development work gets underplayed. Take the earlier posts about Shaun Hutchinson for example where it almost comes across as if somehow being attached to another senior club previously has devalued our contribution in his development.

He came to the club as a midfielder and by virtue of the work done at Motherwell has been transformed into one of the country's most promising central defenders, was mooted to be an injury away from an England U21 call up and had Championship teams bidding for him last summer. Just because he happened to be on the books of Sunderland or whoever earlier in his teens and wasn't Lanarkshire born and bred should not detract from the job done since he came to Motherwell.

And it begs the question at what stage do youths become a Motherwell product. Did Lasley for example not have a time in his youth at Kilmarnock? Was McFadden not on the book at Clyde at one stage?

Does a kid have to live in the shadow of Fir Park, join at the age of six and go right through into the first team and be sold for a £1m before being considered a "pure" product of your system?

For me it doesn't really matter when or how they get to Motherwell, its what happens when we have them with us.

there are obviously different ways of getting players and once there are on the park doing a job it doesn't matter where they came from. lasley and hammell both joined in their late teens and faddy was at hibs for a while i think.

i'm just saying that for all the resources we put into coaching boys under the age of 16 it would be good to get some end product from that department. dundee united, killie, hearts, aberdeen and hibs all seem to be doing that better than us at the moment.