2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

We've got a youthful team because the budget was slashed, not because McCall is a youth orientated coach.

In what way is the at all relevant? Has McCall claimed he wants to sign older players, or play them? We've had young players throughout the team all season. ZFA, McHugh, Carswell, Hutchinson, Cummins, Kerr and Ojamaa all played their part throughout the season, what isn't youth orientated about that?

You don't have to drop first team players to give young players a chance.

This makes no sense. Someone has to be dropped in order to get a younger player on, so again, who would this be? Higdon? Ojamaa? Humphrey? Lasley? Law? McFadden? Murphy?

Daley had 16 outings this season, 16 outings that could have been given to a young player(s) who will still be here next season and might actually go on to be a cash asset for us at some point in the future.

Daley has had what, 2 starts? The rest have been 20 minutes when we're either out of ideas or already winning. Since the arrival of Higginbotham and McFadden he's barely been seen. Yes, a youth player could've gone on instead, but who? And then we come to..

Steven Lawless scored 13 goals for a First division Championship winning team, does that count as proving McCall wrong?

Yes. Lawless could have been in and coming on instead of Daley, and I've no idea with this, but I'd presume that he wanted regular games, and got them at Thistle, where he's evidently showing what he can do with a run of games that he was never going to get with us. He's probably a better player for it as well.

Also the whole 'If they didn't do anything else where, they wouldn't have done it for us' argument is fallacious.

If that was the case some of our best ever players, who didn't do anything at other clubs or came with not very impressive records, wouldn't have been the great players they were for us.

In what way is it fallacious? If we had young players who we were releasing who were going to other clubs and showing their class, which McCall was ignoring as you're claiming, that might be a problem.

There aren't though. The difference is that we take on players who raise their level, and are then proving that releasing them was a mistake. This hasn't happened to us.

Sky Sports News transfer click watch - Motherwell manager Stuart McCall is planning for next season, despite speculation surrounding his own future. Speaking after defeat against St Johnstone in the final game of the season today, McCall confirmed he is hoping to tie up a deal for a new signing tomorrow.Any ideas?

Good to see that the rumours of signings are developing nicely. I'd imagine the goalie will either be Cisak or McGovern, and as long as the striker isn't Tade then I don't really mind!

McGovern? Where is he now? Must confess that other than on here I haven't seen Cisak's name mentioned. And your post was the first I'd read McGovern mentioned...

Sky Sports News transfer click watch - Motherwell manager Stuart McCall is planning for next season, despite speculation surrounding his own future. Speaking after defeat against St Johnstone in the final game of the season today, McCall confirmed he is hoping to tie up a deal for a new signing tomorrow.Any ideas?

i think thats most likely to be paul lawson

McGovern? Where is he now? Must confess that other than on here I haven't seen Cisak's name mentioned. And your post was the first I'd read McGovern mentioned...

mcgovern is at falkirk i hope were no after him hes hopeless

well it looks like humphrey & hateley are off and we already know randolph and law are away. Daley and Saunders are also away and their seems to be a lot of the under 20s leaving too. Higgy and Faddy may be away too. Not only is our 1st team off but the depth (which wasn't a lot to begin with) also seems to be disappearing There's a huge job to do, to find players of similar / better quality and it definitely wont be easy.

it was reported on football 365 we were in talks with Alex cisak. Don't know how accurate that is though.

Michael McGovern is at falkirk, not sure where the scoop is on that either. I know his sister, might give her a shout to see what his plans are!

Can't remember where I heard McGovern mentioned, but I wouldn't be too keen.

Let's be honest, it's easy to put two and two together whenever you read that so-and-so has been linked with us, but there have been too many times recently when we've convinced ourselves a deal is done only for someone to pip us at the last minute - Ryan Stevenson last year, Samson just the other week? (Although with both of those, I can't say I've been too disappointed). Whenever we reach the end of the 2-year contract, it all gets a bit silly for a while which is understandable given the apparent state we find ourselves in, and the number of players we may have to sign.

That said, if Faddy and Higgy were to re-sign, and Ojamaa, Hutch etc. stayed, we'd probably be looking at:

1 x GK

2 x RB

1 x DC

2 x MC - one each in a Law/Jennings mould

1 x RW

1 x ST

Idealistic I know, but we have to wait and see...

Can't remember where I heard McGovern mentioned, but I wouldn't be too keen.

Let's be honest, it's easy to put two and two together whenever you read that so-and-so has been linked with us, but there have been too many times recently when we've convinced ourselves a deal is done only for someone to pip us at the last minute - Ryan Stevenson last year, Samson just the other week? (Although with both of those, I can't say I've been too disappointed). Whenever we reach the end of the 2-year contract, it all gets a bit silly for a while which is understandable given the apparent state we find ourselves in, and the number of players we may have to sign.

That said, if Faddy and Higgy were to re-sign, and Ojamaa, Hutch etc. stayed, we'd probably be looking at:

1 x GK

2 x RB

1 x DC

2 x MC - one each in a Law/Jennings mould

1 x RW

1 x ST

Idealistic I know, but we have to wait and see...

If McFadden and Higdon stay and we don't sell Ojaama (unlikely, I reckon we'll lose all three), we won't bring a striker in. Given Ramsden can play centre half and right back, I reckon we'll see only one right back coming in. If Lawson comes in, don't know if we'll see another central midfielder. This season we've only really had Lasley, Law and Carswell there. I can see us going with three again. Losing Hateley as an option might see us bring another in though.

What our squad has benefited from over the last few seasons is players who can play in a couple of positions (Hateley, Law, Murphy, Ramsden, Clancy just off the top of my head). With a small budget, we'll need that kind of versatility in our squad again...

I'm just going to chuck this in here so that it's on the record that i've said it if it does happen.

Zaluska on loan.

I have no source that would mean anything to anyone, before you ask.

It's long been mooted on here that Saunders was our best right back & an ideal replacement for Hateley. Does the fact that we have released Saunders mean that Hateley is staying therefore no need to pay a wage to Saunders?

I'm just going to chuck this in here so that it's on the record that i've said it if it does happen.

Zaluska on loan.

I have no source that would mean anything to anyone, before you ask.

Sorry but I think I'd be quite pissed off if that happened.

It'd mean he couldn't play against his parent club. If he was to establish himself as the No.1 ahead of Hollis, we'd be bringing Hollis into play against them and maybe disruting the harmony of the defence.

If McFadden and Higdon stay and we don't sell Ojaama (unlikely, I reckon we'll lose all three), we won't bring a striker in. Given Ramsden can play centre half and right back, I reckon we'll see only one right back coming in. If Lawson comes in, don't know if we'll see another central midfielder. This season we've only really had Lasley, Law and Carswell there. I can see us going with three again. Losing Hateley as an option might see us bring another in though.

What our squad has benefited from over the last few seasons is players who can play in a couple of positions (Hateley, Law, Murphy, Ramsden, Clancy just off the top of my head). With a small budget, we'll need that kind of versatility in our squad again...

I'd completely forgotten about Carswell there. I'm liking the way he's developing as a player, so I reckon he could become a very important body for us next season. Lawson seems to finally be a replacement for Jennings, so I guess Carswell is possibly being groomed as a short to medium term replacement for Lasley? Not sure how many seasons the silver fox has left in him...

In terms of versatility, we could be seeing a lot more of ZFA on the left, can't see him ousting Hammy quite yet, and he's always seemed more effective as a left mid/winger in the few times we've seen him.

I agree with your point regarding a striker - we've still got McHugh, and we also may have Moore pushing for a first team place.

So despite my previous post, things might not be so bad after all!

I couldn’t agree more, at times the boy put the fear of death into the opposition with his pace.

I also felt some of Jamie Murphys success on the left was down to teams doubling up on Humphrey on the right (normally a centre half behind the left back).

A frustrating player, but a threat on his day, and 10 times the player he was when he arrived, he was like a 100m sprinter who had never seen a football.

On a good day, he put the absolute fear in defenders, and was a great outlet to relieve pressure and get the ball up the park. I'll miss him if he goes.

• Like 1

re Hateley - i've always thought he'd end up at Rangers for a variety of reasons

however, i would love him to stay. he's nearly been an ever present, which is impressive in itself and this season he's had people probably doubt him, but i think thats down to the "expectation level" he set on previous seasons

anyway - my question is, can Rangers actually sign him? Would we not be due a "development" fee? Therefore, he'd need to wait until January when they can actually buy players???

I hope I am wrong, but i suspect Higdon , Faddy and Hateley will be off ski.

So the 4 from the under 20`s + Law, Randolph, Saunders, Humphrey means up to 11 players will be leaving this summer.

Probably the biggest rebuilding required since the days of Admin.

Would be happy with Lawson, but he seems to be more like Las than Jennings or Law.

I would hope we would bring in similar numbers although unlikely to be similar quality. Hopefully unearth a few gems.

Of course a lot depends on whether the Manager is also here next season. If he leaves then we face a hard task to get another Manager in and replace all the players leaving in time for Europe.

Get it right and we will be top 6 again. Get it wrong and we could be bottom 6 for the 1st time in a wee while.......

however, i would love him to stay. he's nearly been an ever present, which is impressive in itself and this season he's had people probably doubt him, but i think thats down to the "expectation level" he set on previous seasons

Out of a possible 152 leagues appearances since he joined the club he's played in 148! As you say impressive, in itself.

See that Dayton is leaving Killie - would he do a job for us?

I like Dayton a lot. Good feet, very pacey, an attacking mentality and the potential to improve and move up a level. I would be pleased if we managed to bring him in.

I'd completely forgotten about Carswell there. I'm liking the way he's developing as a player, so I reckon he could become a very important body for us next season. Lawson seems to finally be a replacement for Jennings, so I guess Carswell is possibly being groomed as a short to medium term replacement for Lasley? Not sure how many seasons the silver fox has left in him...

Surely Carswell is more in the Jennings mold? Jennings, who I don't think we missed very much, was pretty much a tackler and harrier and there wasn't much more to his game. That's the way I see Carswell. I don't think he's every going to be a threat getting forward or display silky skills in the middle of the park. His game is closing people down and making a nuisance of himself. The player he most reminds me off is Marc Fitzpatrick when he played that nuisance role in midfield.

Lasley is a much more adaptable player than people give him credit for. Last season he played the attacking central midfielder role with Jennings sitting and got a decent number of goals. This season he played the more defensively minded central midfield when Law moved into the centre this season.

The way I see it with Lasley, Lawson and Carswell we have 3 defensive midfield options and only 1 attacking midfield option from the middle of the pitch. Personally I would like another option in there that can get forward but whether our budget extends that far I don't know.

Surely Carswell is more in the Jennings mold? Jennings, who I don't think we missed very much, was pretty much a tackler and harrier and there wasn't much more to his game. That's the way I see Carswell. I don't think he's every going to be a threat getting forward or display silky skills in the middle of the park. His game is closing people down and making a nuisance of himself. The player he most reminds me off is Marc Fitzpatrick when he played that nuisance role in midfield.

Lasley is a much more adaptable player than people give him credit for. Last season he played the attacking central midfielder role with Jennings sitting and got a decent number of goals. This season he played the more defensively minded central midfield when Law moved into the centre this season.

The way I see it with Lasley, Lawson and Carswell we have 3 defensive midfield options and only 1 attacking midfield option from the middle of the pitch. Personally I would like another option in there that can get forward but whether our budget extends that far I don't know.

Agree 100% with the above YB. If we lose Law, Faddy, Humphrey et al we will seriously need some additional creativity and width. Our lack of width was evident yesterday and that will need to be addressed I feel.

Ps Did anyone else notice Tade running down and clapping and smiling at the Well fans. A little see you next season maybe!!

Humphrey will be sorely missed if he goes. He's one of the few players who, by simply having his name on the team sheet, affects how the opposition set up. That's before he even kicks a ball.

• Like 3