2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

if we are going to wait on him we wiil have to put money aside in the budget that can't be spent on new players.

i would rather we used all our funds to try and get the best team possible for europe.

Not sure how much of Faddy's wages come form the budget ?

hateley has been a very good player for us and it'll be very difficult to replace him with someone who is as good on the ball.

having two fullbacks who are technically very good players has been a big part of our success recently.

Seriously?!

How many times has Humphrey been running into space only for Hately to boot it out the park or straight through to the goalie when it was a simple pass and his set pieces are shit, what 2 goals out of how many hundred free kicks makes him good from set pieces?He's a decent player but that's it, easily replaced.

Seriously?

Hateley deserves a medal for having to play behind that imposter most weeks. Never seen anyone hide so much in a game!

Seriously?!

How many times has Humphrey been running into space only for Hately to boot it out the park or straight through to the goalie when it was a simple pass and his set pieces are shit, what 2 goals out of how many hundred free kicks makes him good from set pieces?He's a decent player but that's it, easily replaced.

• Like 2

Seriously?

Hateley deserves a medal for having to play behind that imposter most weeks. Never seen anyone hide so much in a game!

Seriously?!

away and dont talk a load of shite

Humphrey might just prove to be the player we miss most of all.

Hateley definitely won't be.

Not for me, for all we talk about him being a good out ball, hard working and offering us width we've coped well without him as well this season.

In fact, in two of our best showings at Fir Park this season, the 4-1 pumpings of Aberdeen and Hibs respectively we played some of our best football under McCall IMO and Humphrey didn't feature in either game.

Not to say Humphrey didn't play an important part last season, he did but just because he's gone lets not build him up into something he's not.

As for Hateley, I'm a fan. Ten goals, over twenty five assists, part of two record breaking Motherwell defences for clean sheets in a single season and he barely missed a game in four years. Would be sorry to see him go but as with Humph if he's to leave then so be it. We shouldn't be held to ransom and if he is on a high wage which Mccall thinks could be better spent elsewhere and he isn't willing to take a pay cut then see ya Tom. Thanks for Odense and the winner in Paisley and four years of good service. And we move on.

• Like 3

With regards to the Hearts players.... The first-teamers are either not good enough or they're getting paid too much for our budget. So how aboput a wee look at their u-20s team, might be some good prospects there that wouldn't cost much in wages. Would a development fee still be due though? Not sure if being in administration they might waive that right.

Humphrey might just prove to be the player we miss most of all.

Hateley definitely won't be.

While I reckon you underrate Hateley, I'd tend to agree that the two players we'll miss the most are already away, to Birmingham and Preston.

We had good performances without Humphrey as others have pointed out. But to replace his kind of terrifying pace will be more difficult than finding a solid right back who's good on the ball. And I say that as someone who thinks Hateley is a good player...

My guess is John Sutton due to the "familiar face" comment from Scott Burns plus Hearts well-publicised situation.

Not on Twatter, so don't know what's been said but if it's a current SPL striker who's a "familiar face" then Sutton is the only one I can think of.

Would I want him back? He wouldn't be my first choice (I'd rather have Higdon or Lee Miller) but I think some people forget how effective he was for us. When I think of the 6-6 game against Hibs, as much as Jutkiewicz's goal, I remember Sutton and his attitude as reasons we didn't lose that game. So I wouldn't be distraught if he returned. Good solid pro. And we may need that kind of character next season if it's going to be more difficult than this one...

higgy_1747751a.jpgGOLDEN BOOT ... Michael Higdon

Higdon’s looking a Well lost cause

By KENNY MacDONALDPublished: 7 hrs ago

MOTHERWELL have all but given up hope of retaining star striker Michael Higdon.

The Englishman, SPL top scorer with 26 goals last season, is out of contract and has had a bumper offer to stay.

But Higdon has other offers, including from Championship outfit Barnsley, and Well No2 Kenny Black said: “Michael is 29 and this is obviously a big move for him.

“We’ve not heard anything from him, we’ve not been given any indication that he will sign the deal with Motherwell.

“We know he has interest from England and that’s where I think he’ll end up.”

Well also await Tom Hateley’s decision on a new deal ahead of pre-season training, while Chris Humphrey, Nicky Law, Henrik Ojamaa and Darren Randolph have all quit.

Meanwhile Well have paid tribute to ex-defender Peter Millar, who has died after a short illness at the age of 62.

In seven seasons at Well in the 1970s he played more than 200 games.

A Well official said: “Everyone is deeply saddened by Peter’s death. For fans of a certain vintage, he played a big part in what was considered an exciting and entertaining period in the 1970s.

“He was renowned as a tough-tackling defender who could play football. People still talk of his battles with Kenny Dalglish.”

Sutton left to double his wages so I'm sure I he'll be released but might not fancy the wage cut. He did get offers from clubs in England but didn't want to uproot his young family so it probably would depend what he wants more.

As I said previously. Sutton is a shadow of the player who left us. Any Jambos i've spoken to can't believe how well he played for us as he was gash for them.

Not a player i would like to see return would rather we unearthed another gem from down south

I think a Sutton/McHugh combination could be decent...

Thats gives me the fear.....

• Like 1

I do not want John Sutton back at our club I'm sorry but not for me....he will offer little to us...he's had his day and let's keep it that way..any player that's at hearts is there for a reason - over paid and lacking a decent performance

I think you'll find the reason he's at Hearts is the fact he had a great season with us and they were moved to offer him more money than we could offer. Fact that he's not performed at Hearts? Frozen out by a couple of the managers there, not getting great supply and all the off the field stuff going on, these could be factors.

Sutton would not be my first choice but let's not rewrite history here. He was a good player for us and that's how he ended up at Hearts. Would he score as many as Higdon did last season? No, but given Higdon scored more than most of our post war strikers managed in a season then it's hardly a criticism...

• Like 1

I think a Sutton/McHugh combination could be decent...

Not for me one bit.

Sutton is not a bad player and at the moment would be the best forward we would have SIGNED up.

What is it with this McHugh big up? Not having a go as he has had little chance and still think at 21 he has a chance, however, you got to think why this is the case. He has been a full squad player for six years, no longer just a boy, under several mangers and only played 72 times, 29 this year and only six goals in 72 apperances. (do not know the assist total). This is in a Motherwell team who dont have a huge squad. Looks lively enough and more than willing to give him a chance, just wonder why lots on here are thinking he can come into the starting 11 and do a job?

Not convinced Sutton is the way yo go. Would be on a big wage and would rather we grabbed some unsung talent from down south for half the money. The money would be better placed bringing in a couple of wingers and a good keeper.

100% agree. Sutton had his time here, done ok, however, I agree we need to look elsewhere.