2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

hmm one year deal, would have preferred 2 years, if he shines he will be off by Christmas. Happy when it's officially announced. Outstanding signing IMO and will certainly give us some stability and strength at the back. Is it a sign that Hutch is going in order to fund some other signings..??

Wonder how much they're on? I assume its peanuts in comparison to the money they were on recently, but would be interesting to know how much of the budget has been allocated to Faddy and McManus.

Not having a go just hoping its not a repeat of the John Spencer/ Don Goodman era!

Edited by JordanMFC

I'm waiting to see who we bring in as our new speed merchant. That is going to be a key position for us to fill this season.

You may have a long wait, speed merchants like Humphrey are few and far between. We certainly will miss the guys pace and his ability to turn defence into attack. He is the one guy that we will really struggle to replace.

Wonder how much they're on? I assume its peanuts in comparison to the money they were on recently, but would be interesting to know how much of the budget has been allocated to Faddy and McManus.

Not having a go just hoping its not a repeat of the John Spencer/ Don Goodman era!

Seen a lot of people raising that same point on FB and the BBC (granted the majority of people who comment on BBC articles couldn't figure out how to tie their own shoelaces). Have to say though, that I think the club's incredibly well run nowadays and they certainly wouldn't be taking a gamble with budget they don't have.

If anything, it could be an externally financed deal, like we saw with Faddy last season, someone basically writing off some of their hard-earned to pay for him to return.

I certainly think there's no way we could afford both players' "normal wages" within our current structure, even with all the departures.

Seen a lot of people raising that same point on FB and the BBC (granted the majority of people who comment on BBC articles couldn't figure out how to tie their own shoelaces). Have to say though, that I think the club's incredibly well run nowadays and they certainly wouldn't be taking a gamble with budget they don't have.

If anything, it could be an externally financed deal, like we saw with Faddy last season, someone basically writing off some of their hard-earned to pay for him to return.

I certainly think there's no way we could afford both players' "normal wages" within our current structure, even with all the departures.

Whatever they are getting paid, its better than what they are on just now ie nothing. Previous deals count for nothing, its about taking a chance on holding out for a deal close to what they were on , (which to be honest in Faddys or McManus's case is unlikely) or signing for the best you can get. Even the modest sums on offer at Motherwell (compared to what they were getting) is a good deal 2K a week ,( or whatever they are being offered) is over 100 K a year, good money in any Job. :nod:

Whatever they are getting paid, its better than what they are on just now ie nothing. Previous deals count for nothing, its about taking a chance on holding out for a deal close to what they were on , (which to be honest in Faddys or McManus's case is unlikely) or signing for the best you can get. Even the modest sums on offer at Motherwell (compared to what they were getting) is a good deal 2K a week is over 100 K a year, good money in any Job. :nod:

Oh, I totally agree. I was talking more about the suggestion of the club following a similar route to pre-admin days. However both deals are financed (assuming they're both signing), be it external funding or within our wage budget, the club's current custodians certainly won't be making the mistake of overreaching.

Doesn't make it any easier waiting for news though!

Just how high is their stock though? Faddy still hasn't played a full half season in the last few years and McManus is out of favour down south and wants back near his family. And neither of them are getting any younger. I think they will be the top end of our scale but I don't think it will be mega bucks.

• Like 1

I think Frazzle has a point regarding the fact that neither McManus nor McFadden will be in great demand. I think people have to take into account the number of players we've removed from the wage bill, including some who were rumoured to be among the higher earners at the club. I'd wager that Kerr and Nielsen aren't on what Hateley and Randolph were on. Money has been saved. And the fee for Ojamaa may mean the budget hasn't shrunk as much as anticipated..

I'm assuming if we sign McManus then there will be no deal for Reid, signing both would leave us extremely top heavy in the defence front.

RB: Ramsden, Kerr and if he signed Reid!!

LB: Hammell & ZFA

CB: Hutchinson, Ramsden, Cummins, McManus, Kerr, Murray, Reid again if he signed.

I know I've have the players in a few position but shows the versatility of a few players.

Anyway unless of course we are looking at lining up with 3 or 5 at the back.

Hutch, Rammer and McManus at the back, Kerr or Reid on the right, Hammell on the left.

Lawson holding supporting Lasley & Vigurs. With Sutton up top, being supported by McFadden and A.N. Other.

Think that could be how we live up in Europe!

I still reckon if we sign McManus then we'll look to sell Hutchinson. Whether the club tries to hold off until after the European games before selling is another question.

So if it all pans out looking at

GK Nielsen Hollis

DF Kerr Reid Ramsden McManus Cummins Hammell Angol Murray

MF Lasley Lawson Vigurs Carswell McFadden

FW Sutton McHugh Erwin Moore

Plus another two players (I'd imagine two forward thinking players).

I could live with that...

McManus confirmed.

Motherwell Football Club are today delighted to confirm the capture of Scotland International defender Stephen McManus.

The 30-year old joins on a one-year deal after his previous contract at Middlesbrough expired in the summer.

McManus came through the youth ranks at Celtic and made his debut in a 4-0 win at Easter Road back in March 2004.

He was eventually made captain of the club in July 2007 following Neil Lennon’s exit from Celtic Park.

All in all, he would play 202 times for the Hoops, scoring 20 goals before departing for the Riverside Stadium in the summer of 2010 for a fee of £1.5 million.

His time in the northeast didn’t go as well as ‘Mick’ would have liked, a change of manager and injuries certainly didn’t help. He did spend a brief spell on loan at Bristol City, which was cut short due to an injury crisis at his parent club.

The defender has also amassed 26 caps for Scotland, including time as captain.

He earned his first cap back in October 2006, coming on as a substitute in the 2–0 defeat to Ukraine at the Olympic Stadium in Kiev.

His first start in the dark blue of Scotland was against Georgia in the first match of the Alex McLeish era; a 2–1 win for Scotland with Craig Beattie hitting a dramatic late winner.

McManus scored his first goal for Scotland in a 3–1 win against Lithuania on 8 September 2007, acrobatically turning a Shaun Maloney cross into the net to put Scotland 2–1 up. He also scored a 96th minute winner to spare the blushes against minnows Liechtenstein at Hampden in 2010.

He becomes Motherwell’s sixth signing of the summer after Paul Lawson, Iain Vigurs, John Sutton, Fraser Kerr and Gunnar Nielsen.

Speaking exclusively to MFC TV, McManus, who will number 6 this season, said: “I am really glad to get it done and dusted. There was a fair bit of interest from the manager (Stuart McCall) early on so I am pleased it has now finally been finalised.

“From the minute I came in the door for the first time, there was a real family atmosphere and that is what drew me to the club. I always had an idea then that I was going to come here; even though it was a hard decision given other clubs were interested.

“I just can’t wait to get started, I will give it my best shot and we will see how it goes.

We have a really good squad and the manager will probably add some more new faces too.”