2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Even after his engineered exit and subsequent badge kissing at Fir Park...

Short memory syndrome indeed

Almost every move away from Fir Park is engineered - from Keith McRae through Terry Butcher to Michael Higdon. Some are more public than others, but it happens all the time.

I don't have any issues with Skippy. First of all because even after he knew he was moving on he still gave 100% in every game. Secondly, because any time I have heard him talk about his career he has had nothing but good things to say about his time at Motherwell.

And maybe I'm getting mellow in my old age, but getting outraged at badge kissing is hilarious.

• Like 6

He went out with a bang if I remember correctly. Slicing through the left Back at East End Park 10 seconds after scoring a consolation penalty. Lost a bit of respect for him in this game!

Apart from that, I wouldn't question him returning! would be great IMO!

Too early to judge Lawson - for me anyway. I have only seen him play against Newcastle and most of the players struggled to an extent. 95% of games played this coming season will be in the SPL. He has proved he can cut it at this level or so we hear...

We have a fairly strong 1st 11 as it stands, but the 2 vacancies (if there are 2) could be crucial in terms of our season. Hence I like the fact that McCall stated he was unsure about Arnier. He has looked ok in patches, but we need to be sure he will perform over a season....we need to try and get a goalscorer on loan if needs be.

Am I the only one who thinks Carswell is a far better player than Lawson? I think Lawson will have a hard time getting into the first team.

I have high hopes for Carswell. Has the potential to be a huge player for us.

he's our only mobile midfielder at the moment so i hope he can lock down a starting spot.

I watched the first half of the kuban game before heading to cowdenbeath on saturday and their centremid kabore was running the show. I doubt lasley, lawson or vigurs have the legs to get near him.

Am I the only one who thinks Carswell is a far better player than Lawson? I think Lawson will have a hard time getting into the first team.

I have high hopes for Carswell. Has the potential to be a huge player for us.

Based on what I've seen so far, yes I would agree with this.

I would like to see ZFA given a chance, but agree we need an out and out goal scorer. Not easy to find, but maybe a loan player from the EPL.

We have a fairly strong 1st 11 as it stands, but the 2 vacancies (if there are 2) could be crucial in terms of our season. Hence I like the fact that McCall stated he was unsure about Arnier. He has looked ok in patches, but we need to be sure he will perform over a season....we need to try and get a goalscorer on loan if needs be.

Do we?

John Sutton has 43 goals in 103 starts for Motherwell.

James McFadden has 37 goals in 69 starts for Motherwell.

I'd put money on both Sutton and Faddy hitting the 15 goal mark this season(if Faddy can stay fit), how many other SPL teams have two players in their squad that can hit double figures?

The winger is more important than bringing in another striker as right now ZFA is the only option in the squad who could be described as a proper winger and even he's a left back by trade. That's got to be the priority. If there's enough room in the budget left to bring in another striking option then great but I think you'll be disappointed if you think it's going to be someone of quality that's going to be 'goal scorer'. If anything it'll be someone cheap to provide competition/cover for Sutton as there can't be much room left in the budget, especially if we bring in a wide man. That's why we're looking at Anier, as he'll come in on loan and be cheap but with possible potential to contribute.

Sutton will be our main striker this season in much the same way Higdon was last year.

• Like 1

Do we?

John Sutton has 43 goals in 103 starts for Motherwell.

James McFadden has 37 goals in 69 starts for Motherwell.

I'd put money on both Sutton and Faddy hitting the 15 goal mark this season(if Faddy can stay fit), how many other SPL teams have two players in their squad that can hit double figures?

The winger is more important than bringing in another striker as right now ZFA is the only option in the squad who could be described as a proper winger and even he's a left back by trade. That's got to be the priority. If there's enough room in the budget left to bring in another striking option then great but I think you'll be disappointed if you think it's going to be someone of quality that's going to be 'goal scorer'. If anything it'll be someone cheap to provide competition/cover for Sutton as there can't be much room left in the budget, especially if we bring in a wide man. That's why we're looking at Anier, as he'll come in on loan and be cheap but with possible potential to contribute.

Sutton will be our main striker this season in much the same way Higdon was last year.

Well-argued. And even if Sutton doesn't do as well as Higdon did in his stellar last season, he'll still put a good number of goals away for us.

I doubt we can afford experienced backups. The young players would fill in if there are any injuries. For clubs like ours the key to a good season is avoiding injuries. If you look at our best seasons, it has been when no one has been out for a long period, whereas some of the worst were when we were missing experienced guys (TCs long injury was a bitch).

My guess is that we'll sign one more wide player, giving us ZFA, Faddy and winger3, then we will supplement with our other midfielders and forwards.

I think the fact that McCall was/is looking at Arnier suggests that he also believes another option up front would be favoured.

Less players have come in than left and probably on less wages excluding Faddy and probably McManus. If we we're likely to make another loss then I would say absolutely stop now. But I suspect t even with another couple of additions we would have reduced our wage bill by a 6 figure sum. No facts to back it up - just a hunch....

I think the fact that McCall was/is looking at Arnier suggests that he also believes another option up front would be favoured.

Less players have come in than left and probably on less wages excluding Faddy and probably McManus. If we we're likely to make another loss then I would say absolutely stop now. But I suspect t even with another couple of additions we would have reduced our wage bill by a 6 figure sum. No facts to back it up - just a hunch....

McCall has made no secret in wanting another option up front, as well as a wide man.

It was your assertion that we 'needed' a goal scorer that I took exception too as I don't think that's necessarily true or realistic as I outlined above. I would like another option up front but someone to play wide is and should be McCall's priority.

Any striker brought in will be on the cheap. I think your hope of us bringing in someone of genuine quality, i.e a 'goal scorer' is just not going to happen. At best it will be someone like Anier to provide competition and cover to Sutton.

You never know though, McCall might just go out and unearth another gem for peanuts like he did with Ojamaa. Easier said than done right enough and I just think we have to be realistic with what we can afford given who we've already brought in this summer.

Quite interesting that one or two on here are putting Vigurs in the hole and sticking Faddy out wide on the right.

There's no way Faddy should be used to fill a space in the team. He's the best player in the whole league. He goes where he can be the central figurehead and then the other 10 players are fitted around him, surely?

Quite interesting that one or two on here are putting Vigurs in the hole and sticking Faddy out wide on the right.

There's no way Faddy should be used to fill a space in the team. He's the best player in the whole league. He goes where he can be the central figurehead and then the other 10 players are fitted around him, surely?

As we did last year with Higdon with amazing success, if we get Anier I would like to see Faddy in a free role just behind the two strikers.

As we did last year with Higdon with amazing success, if we get Anier I would like to see Faddy in a free role just behind the two strikers.

I'm not knocking your idea but if Faddy plays behind two strikers then we'll have no width at all. Or is that what you would be looking for?

I think we could potentially play the same system as last year with the players we currently have. My preferred line up at present would be this:

Nielsen

Ramsden, Hutchinson, McManus, Hammell

Lawson, Lasley

McFadden, Vigurs, Angol

Sutton

However, you could easily be more attacking or more defensive with just one or two changes, ie. Add Carswell or Anier (if we get him on loan)/McHugh.

I would like to see us sign a pacey winger, to give us options, however, you then have the problem of where to fit them into the team.

We have some flexibility with Kerr/Ramsden able to play a number of positions and McFadden can play pretty much anywhere across the front.

I would agree with Stu though. McFadden is our best player. You play him wherever he can cost most damage and fit the rest around him.

Really looking forward to the season ahead, think it has the potential to be great, but the fact we really dont know how its going to pan out has made it the most interesting pre-season in years.