2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Can't see us signing Wilson considering how much cover we already have in defence and the lack of a right sided midfielder. However if we do I think we could play a formation similar to the one we played against Aberdeen on Boxing Day last season, which I thought was one of our best home performances of the season.

If we're looking at Wilson I think McCall must surely be planning to play wing backs this season. Wilson could probably do a job on either side of midfield, but let's be honest he's a full back and not the winger we're all hoping for by any stretch.

Given the squad this year I think it makes the most sense. I'd be a lot more comfortable with McManus playing in a back three for us, he was slow when he was at Celtic so god knows what like he is now. He could get exposed big style in a 4-4-2. In Hammell and ZFA we have two good options for a left wing back. I'm not sure how Kerr or Ramsden would cope on the right side in the more adventurous role of wing back, but if Wilson came in you'd assume he'd probably be first choice there, leaving Kerr and Ramsden to play centre back or cover for him.

It would also explain the decision to bring McManus in, having already signed Kerr back permanently, and perhaps why we haven't signed more wide players. Obviously if we go 3-5-2 or something similar, we'll be looking for good width to mainly be provided by the wing backs, and further on there would be less need to have an out and out winger. We could maybe use a back three (or five depending how you look at it) and have something like was suggested above with Faddy behind the two strikers. That should be plenty of ammo!

If we're looking at Wilson I think McCall must surely be planning to play wing backs this season. Wilson could probably do a job on either side of midfield, but let's be honest he's a full back and not the winger we're all hoping for by any stretch.

Given the squad this year I think it makes the most sense. I'd be a lot more comfortable with McManus playing in a back three for us, he was slow when he was at Celtic so god knows what like he is now. He could get exposed big style in a 4-4-2. In Hammell and ZFA we have two good options for a left wing back. I'm not sure how Kerr or Ramsden would cope on the right side in the more adventurous role of wing back, but if Wilson came in you'd assume he'd probably be first choice there, leaving Kerr and Ramsden to play centre back or cover for him.

It would also explain the decision to bring McManus in, having already signed Kerr back permanently, and perhaps why we haven't signed more wide players. Obviously if we go 3-5-2 or something similar, we'll be looking for good width to mainly be provided by the wing backs, and further on there would be less need to have an out and out winger. We could maybe use a back three (or five depending how you look at it) and have something like was suggested above with Faddy behind the two strikers. That should be plenty of ammo!

Pretty much exactly my thinking - we are kind of between systems at the moment, as we don't have a right side whether it is wing backs or a full back / winger combination. A fit Wilson could bring the balance required and with a back 3/5 and we can better fit in our present midfild attack. Would love to have Humph back right now we'd be looking really strong...

If we do go three at the back, how do we fit in Faddy behind the strikers though? Wouldn't we have to play lawson and las centrally and let vigurs sit behind. Faddy will have to be one of the two strikers, as he's never part of a midfielf three - no?

Pretty much exactly my thinking - we are kind of between systems at the moment, as we don't have a right side whether it is wing backs or a full back / winger combination. A fit Wilson could bring the balance required and with a back 3/5 and we can better fit in our present midfild attack. Would love to have Humph back right now we'd be looking really strong...

If we do go three at the back, how do we fit in Faddy behind the strikers though? Wouldn't we have to play lawson and las centrally and let vigurs sit behind. Faddy will have to be one of the two strikers, as he's never part of a midfielf three - no?

Yea I was probably getting carried away there with Faddy behind two strikers in that formation! Him just off, or up top with Sutton should work out great though. If they're fit and playing well and Vigurs can weigh in with a few we're looking alright. I know these disgraced sprinters are banned from athletics for however long, but would there be any rule stopping us from cleaning them up and taking them on a free to add a bit of pace to the squad?

Sevco supporting mate reckons we are talking to Novo. Fuckin hope not.

I would rather sign me. I have 2 knackered knees, wear glasses and close to getting a blind dog and I am unfit as fuck as the only exercise I get is walking to the pub and back!

Did Steven Craig not do it as well?

Something about being delighted because folk would finally recognise him abroad, because of the might of Aberdeen, comes to mind.

Also, if that Hateley news is true, I'm thoroughly amused by it.

ETA - Sideways step?! That's being a wee tad charitable to Kilmarnock at the moment, I reckon!

Edited by StipeIsGod

I thought Wishart signed for St. Mirren because he supported them and turned down Dundee United who were definitely a step up in those days. MFC weren't happy because they'd accepted a higher bid from United. Long time ago though so I could be wrong.

Anyway, Tom Hateley - yip, downward step and probably for less money.

Did Steven Craig not do it as well?

Something about being delighted because folk would finally recognise him abroad, because of the might of Aberdeen, comes to mind.

Not sure about that but I do remember Paul McStay following a similar path. Set his stall out to leave Celtic and either move south to a big English team or hit the continent.

No bid come in, so he ends up staying at Celtic.