2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Unfortunately some people have already made their mind up about Hollis and I fear it's going to be very difficult for him to win people over. He was getting abuse for nothing at times on Thursday.

I don't know who's better but if the manager is picking him then he needs to be given a chance.

Somebody behind me kept talking about his height & how was too small to be a goalie. Out of curiosity, or boredom, I had a look at Wikipedia for both Hollis & Randolph. Both the same height. Some folks just looking for an excuse to criticise methinks

Somebody behind me kept talking about his height & how was too small to be a goalie. Out of curiosity, or boredom, I had a look at Wikipedia for both Hollis & Randolph. Both the same height. Some folks just looking for an excuse to criticise methinks

Not that I disagree with your sentiment but wikipedia isnt the most reliable and judging by the team photo on the website Randolph has a good 2-3 inches on hollis.

I'm yet to be convinced by Hollis but in the forest game and Thursday he did nothing wrong IMO. Good luck to him, he's waited and worked hard for his chance.

The clubs site lists Hollis as 6ft an inch smaller than his wikipedia page and Randolph but I find even this difficult to believe he looks a couple of inches shorter than that. He doesn't fill me with confidence when a ball comes into the box ran right under one against Kuban letting them get a header at an empty goal and the third goal against Newcastle was a shocker but hopefully he'll vet to prove himself throughout the season, would quite like to see Nielsen get a run as well though.

Goalkeepers are like strikers in the respect that they are confidence positions. Both can be terrible when things are going badly & the opposite when things go well. However, unlike a striker who misses, a goalkeeper who doesn't collect a cross or clear his lines generally causes a goal when that happens.

If a keeper has to do any work then 10 players have already failed in doing their job.

The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work. - George Graham

Hollis or Nielsen will be decent keepers for us. Are they as good as Randolph, no. Buit heh, shit happens.

People who are writing any of them off now are fucking idiots.

If a keeper has to do any work then 10 players have already failed in doing their job.

Hollis or Nielsen will be decent keepers for us. Are they as good as Randolph, no. Buit heh, shit happens.

People who are writing any of them off now are fucking idiots.

To an extent, I'd agree. But basics like crosses into the 6-yard box should be a prerequisite for your goalie. Also, I'd agree that in the past 2 keepers, we've been blessed with 2 outstanding examples, both tough acts to follow. If Hollis had followed Stevie Woods he might not have felt so daunted or us so lacking in his abilities.

The current Scotland No. 1, McGregor and the previous 1, Gordon and probably one of the best ever, Goram were or are awful at coming for crosses. So much so the rumour is Gordon was told under no circumstances does he come for crosses when at Sunderland.

Coming and collecting crosses, rather scary like, has become something of a specialty, that not many keepers are actually that good at now. Is that because the outfield players skills, or the current way a lot of teams play (crossing becoming a minimum) or the stupid construction of the new balls god knows, but for fuck sake writing a player off after nothing when we have strikers with a less than 100% strike rate, midfielder that have less than a 100% pass rate, and defenders with less than a 100% tackle rate.

Lets not forget, we lost a pre-season friendly against Leeds Utd because of Randolph ;)

Somebody told me coming out of Fir Park on Thursday night that Nielsen wasnt playing because he had dodgy knees. Guy said he knew someone at the club. No idea if true but would be a concern if we have given a contract to someone who is going to be injury prone. All speculation of course as the source may not be reliable.

Link

"Motherwell boss McCall is certain his players will bounce back – but he knows Hibs will be desperate to atone for their 7-0 home defeat to Malmo.

He said: “Obviously they’ll be smarting and we’re smarting a bit after our result. But we have done well at Easter Road in the past so we’ll go and look to be positive and get our league campaign off to a good start.

“We were up against a side on Thursday that was playing its fourth competitive game, it was our first and you could tell.”

McCall is trying to bring in one more player in a bid to inject a bit of pace to his squad.

He added: “I’m pleased with my squad, we’re very strong in some areas.

“But we don’t have the pace we had last season. Hopefully we’ll bring a player in during the next month.

“It won’t be anyone on big bucks but we would hope to get one in to give us a different option coming off the bench or even to start.”

McCall is set to keep faith in keeper Lee Hollis, who got the nod over new signing Gunnar Nielsen on Thursday and did well.

The Fir Park boss said: “If Gunnar had come in and been a lot better than Lee I might have gone with him. But they have been as good as each other in the games and in training.

“I said to Lee last season when he signed his two-year deal that he would get a fair crack if Darren Randolph moved on, so I’ve been fair to him. But make no mistake, we have two goalies fighting for the jersey.”

• Like 1

Glad to see that McCall is looking to replace some of the pace we've lost during the summer. Regardless of what some may say, I think the club have done very well during the window this summer.

When it became clear we were going to be losing players during the summer I'd have been more than happy if you had told me we'd be going into a new season with this squad.

What happened to the lad Fraser that signed for Bournemouth from Aberdeen. Hasn't had a look in down there, wonder if he would be worth a shout on load.

Pacy, tricky right winger.

He played yesterday. Absolutely shocking tackle on him led to a Charlton red card.

If SMC is saying that Gunnar is at the same level as Lee why bother bringing him in? Lee Hollis is not a long term solution. Never seen a keeper let the ball bounce as much as I did on Thursday night.

I wonder if sieb is looking to come out of retirement!

It's getting boring now.

Well you have the security of knowing that you've at least a similar standard of goalkeeper waiting in the wings and it won't be a laddie thrown in at the deep end if Hollis gets injured and the fact they are of a similar standard will ensure competition for the place which should ensure the current incumbent is kept fully on his toes. There's two reasons for a start.

He wouldn't have been my first choice admittedly but McCall's made he's decision. There's fuck all we can do about that other than make the very most of it which in this case is try to give the guy as much vocal backing as possible in the hope it boosts his confidence and game. Which let's face he should be getting as a given whether its Randolph. Hollis or Sieb fucking Dyskstra between the sticks.

• Like 1

There's fuck all we can do about that other than make the very most of it which in this case is try to give the guy as much vocal backing as possible in the hope it boosts his confidence and game. Which let's face he should be getting as a given whether its Randolph. Hollis or Sieb fucking Dyskstra between the sticks.

This has always been something that really confuses me about certain football fans. For anyone who gives any of our players dogs abuse, do you honestly believe it'll make him play better or improve the situation? I'd be interested to know if you actually think that such behaviour benefits the team?

I can understand getting frustrated when a player isn't having the best of games, I've been there myself in the past, but I simply don't understand why anyone would verbally abuse someone who's playing for their team.

• Like 1