2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

I really don't get the ill feeling towards Hateley.

He played nearly every game for us in seasons where we finished 2nd and 3rd!?!?

He's obviously been a bit daft here, but I really hope he doesn't get booed when he comes back like Reynolds did as that would be just be fucking embarrassing.

The guy did us a really good turn.

The guy had been knocked back by Accies, the only way from there was down.

We took him on gave him his chance and he even played and scored in Europe.

Then walks away because he's a free agent and hopes his dad can wangle him a wee job at Ibrox.

Fuck off, Motherwell did him a good turn, not the other way around.

While not suggesting we did him a favour, he was handsomely paid for the good service he gave us. He wasn't doing us a favour.

Like others have said, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. What annoys (or amuses, not sure) me is the fact that Hateley thought that as a decent SPL player, he had outgrown us. Didn't occur to him that he'd found his level. Ambition is good, but not without realism...

• Like 1

What annoys (or amuses, not sure) me is the fact that Hateley thought that as a decent SPL player, he had outgrown us. Didn't occur to him that he'd found his level. Ambition is good, but not without realism...

yet Lasley and Hammell get none of the hatred ( not you, more in general)

I'd thank him for his service, will not support him at any SPL team, but he's no worse than many other players that have run down contracts

handled himself pretty will in the media, considering the extra weight on his shoulders to say 'something'

rightly spoke out when his family were treated harshly, as he was told, got unbelievably harsh abuse when he stepped up and tried to score against Celtic, abuse/criticism that has never really died down as can be seen above.

sure he used to drive me mental when he would deliver failed deadball after failed deadball, but as others have pointed out, someone was telling him to take them

kinda glad he's moved on, was unhealthy for him to hang around, which is a shame, as it goes against what most players say is Motherwell FC's strongest selling point, being made welcome from day one

• Like 2

Ditto,although by no means did I think he was awful. In the pantheon of Motherwell right backs, I have him penciled in as"mediocre".

Same, but a mediocre player with delusions of grandeur getting paid top dollar and taking every set piece does make my blood boil more than someone who is just shite.

Solid, consistent right back. He did have the turning circle of the QE2 mind you which meant he was beaten easily.

Also I don't think it can be underestimated how well he linked up and was protected by Chris Humphrey. Hump tracked back continually and gave Hateley a tremendous out ball.

I take the Hearts game last year/year before at Tynie, Hateley was playing behind Daley and got rode off Templeton big time. He had no protection and left him exposed whereby his frailties where clear to see, he hated players running at him.

Passing and ability on the ball cannot be denied at all and as I said very consistent. Wouldn't have minded him staying but out all the boys we lost, Daley excluded I won't miss him the most. Well behind Higdon, Randolph, Law, Humphrey et al.

I think, I may be wrong, that Gannon came in and handed him, Forbes and Saunders some ridiculous deals.

he signed a three year deal under brown and the chat at the time was that he got the same money as reynolds who was supposedly the top paid player.

he was on far more than saunders and forbes.

Also I don't think it can be underestimated how well he linked up and was protected by Chris Humphrey. Hump tracked back continually and gave Hateley a tremendous out ball.

Surely you're at it..... laugh.giflaugh.gif

I'd definitely agree with Sieb here. Not everyone was Humphrey's biggest fan but he is perhaps one of the hardest working players I've seen in a Motherwell jersey. He gave Hateley a tremendous amount of cover at RB. I wasn't Hateley's biggest fan, solid enough full back but never a central midfielder. I'm quite happy with Ramsden taking his place, no big loss in my book.

I also completely agree with Sieb. Humphrey, for all his faults, is a player you could never accuse of not working hard or tracking back. I don't think Hateley would have been half as consistent if it wasn't for Humphrey.

No idea of actual figures but it wouldn't surprise me if Humphrey covered the most ground out of every player in the majority of games he played in.

No mate, 100% serious. I rated Humphrey, gave us a different dimension.

If he had a good out ball he would most definately played at a top too level due to his athleticism and pace. His work effort could never be questioned in my eyes.

Anyone who didn't rate Humphrey should ask themselves the question why we're currently looking for a winger with pace. Humphrey was a major weapon for us last season. Even without a final ball (which he was improving), he could get us from our own 18 yard box to the opponents' in the blink of an eye. Thinking of the last home game against Ross County and the goal he scored there. And in the game he scored against Celtic, against any other player Izaguirre's switching off wouldn't have cost Celtic a goal. Humphrey's workrate and pace got him into that position...

• Like 2

Lets cut to the chase. Hateley and Humphrey were fucking brilliant for us and we are going to miss them big time as I can't say Ramsden and McFadden on the right look anywhere near as effective.

On a side not I would stick Faddy behind the big Estonian boy. He doesn't have the pace to play on the wing.

• Like 4