2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

For me, we need someone who is going to be able to pick the ball up and drive with it.

Lawson, Vigurs and Lasley are all good players and passers of the ball but none are very capable at getting the ball in midfield and driving at the opposition.

McFadden is ofcourse capable of this but has been off the boil so far.

Last season we had Humph, Law and Ojamaa who did this all the time..how many times do you hear defenders saying they hate people running at them.

Motherwell should re-sign Stephen Hughes.

Our midfielders are very similar in style and position (apart from Vigurs) and on what I've seen so far this season's team appear to have zero creativity and are very one dimensional. If Hughes is being realistic in wanting to play football, he is likely to be cheap and within our reach.

I watched him play for the dons on Alba a few times early last season and most of their good stuff went through him.

I know when we had him before he went to the Dons that he couldn't get into our team, but being honest, our midfield now isn't what it was then..

The same Stephen Hughes who got arrested a few months ago for hitting a copper and who was also seen drinking a carry out on his own down the Clyde.

Aye get him in he will be dynamite...

I wasn't aware Hughes had hit the drink and had off-field issues.

If Hughes is now a jakey, then it's unlikely that we will be signing him, but we are crying out for a player in his mould/style who can do the job he did for us 5-6 years ago. Our midfield is full of workmanlike defenders and I think last seasons mantra of finding width and looking down the inside right/left channel encouraged our midfielders to always go sideways and look for balls into the flanks.

We now have no width, and a central midfield of a style that is incapable of creating anything, resulting in our defenders aiming hopeful route 1 punts up to Sutton from the back.

I actually wish we had signed Harkins - wasn't that bothered at the time, but we have overloaded with defensive mids.

(I'm reminded why I remain a long time lurker rather than poster on here when the suggestion of an out of contract 30 yr old passing midfielder who looked good as recently as 10 months ago leaves me labelled as a troll or a glue sniffer...)

• Like 2

....................................(I'm reminded why I remain a long time lurker rather than poster on here when the suggestion of an out of contract 30 yr old passing midfielder who looked good as recently as 10 months ago leaves me labelled as a troll or a glue sniffer...)

Absolutely spot on Dunk. Can folks no just offer a counter argument without including the personal abuse :wallbash:

• Like 6

Our team simply needs someone who is going to make the final pass, we play well on the ground and can control the tempo of the game (most of the time) but we lack that killer instinct and can never make the final through ball to sutton or anier. To me, the only way we can get someone with this awareness and passing skill is on loan. Oh wait, I know who to play there, a certain someone who can play in an AMC position. Someone who is already at the club. Someone who is 2 caps away from the Scottish hall of fame.

(I'm reminded why I remain a long time lurker rather than poster on here when the suggestion of an out of contract 30 yr old passing midfielder who looked good as recently as 10 months ago leaves me labelled as a troll or a glue sniffer...)

To be fair, I thought you were at it as well. It's quite obvious to most folk that he is a shell of the player he was when with us the first time. Are you forgetting his second spell at the club too? I was amazed he even ended up at Aberdeen after that and wasn't surprised when he made absolutely no impact there at all.

He is done at this level.

Man up anaw, it's a bloody internet forum. If people think you are talking nonsense they are going to call you on it. You're no going to get many serious responses when you suggest that a shite out of shape jakey hasbeen is the answer to our problems!

I think you've missed the point.

I don't mind being "called on it" if people disagree with me. I was accused of trolling by someone whose only contribution to these boards over the past four years is to annoy the shit out of anyone reading them looking for news, insight and intelligent discussion.

Anyway - back on topic:

Our current predicament is that we are skint with a shapeless midfield. If other clubs want players we wont be signing them as it seems we have spent our cash.

He is a 30 year old who has played for Scotland and has an affinity for the club. He plays (played?) in a style/role we are crying out for.

My suggestion was we could sign him for buttons and hope that he can reach a level he was seen playing at 10 months ago.

Its not that crazy a shout is it? Done at 29/30? Does that really happen these days - Bob Malco apart?

• Like 1

Don't think hughes is the player we need. We are desperately missing the pace and guile of Humphrey law and ojamma. If we have 1 signing left in us I'd much rather see us going for a player to replace one of these three, even if it is a bit of a gamble signing (like ojamma was).

Failing that let's see what we have amongst our youths - we know zfa can play when he wants to, just needs that confidence to do it. Moore did a great job in div1 last season and what I've seen of Erwin he looks a really good link up player. Have heard good thngs about a few others too. I'd like to see these guys get a proper chance unlike the 5 minute run outs McHugh's been getting the last 5 years.