2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Maybe suggests that we can't extend Anier's loan after January?

It was always likely to be a catch 22. If he was guff he would stay but would we want him too and if he was delivering - which for the most part he has Viking would want him back.

Best to be prepared. Would be inclined to give Moore and McHugh more of a chance with Sutton or Faddy in a more forward role.

His loan is definitely up in January hoof hearted. He did say in a recent press conference he would be open to extending it until the end of the season but just depended on the clubs.

Ainsworth's loan is up in January too isn't it? Would like to see him get an extension. His time here has been a bit stop start so far but there's been some really good moments from him when he's played.

• 1 month later...

November seems like a reasonable time to offer a contract - especially as it seems the club was expecting to move him on last summer.

We shouldn't be waiting until the last year of his contract. At the very latest, he should have been offered a deal when we got the ojamaa cash. We make the same mistake time after time.

How do Dundee Utd manage to get top notch talents signed up to 2016?

Lost track of how development fees work. Given that we offloaded Jamie Murphy in January at the age of 23 for a pittance, I expect a similar scenario again.

For a club that preaches youth development and the need to sell a player every year, the process is very poorly managed.

• Like 5

How do Dundee Utd manage to get top notch talents signed up to 2016?

To be fair we are in the market just like every other SPFL club. Credit to United and Hibs (in the past) getting top dollar for their players while we sell for a 100,000 here and there.

The truth is that our talent as good as it has been in our eyes, is and has not been the real deal since Faddy. Clarkson and Murphy have struggled down in England. Don't even know if Murphy is in the squad at Sheffield United?

Take Ojamma and Hutchy - on their day 2 of the best players in the SPFL, but far too inconsistent. I like Hutchy a lot and he is a very decent central defender, but every now and then he f#cks up in spectacular style whether getting sent off or selling a goal. These are the times that scouts are probably watching. Probably worth £500k, but we will be lucky to see half that in the January transfer window, if anyone even comes in for him.

I mean is he a better talent or prospect that Randolph, yet he left with no-one making a bid. Shame to hear but not surprising. If he has been here for 6 years he deserves to move on. Would rather he did not, but such is life...

It's a double-edged sword though - if we bang all these guys on long-term contracts before we know just how good they can be, we'll get more out of players like Hutchison but we'd also be stuck with McHugh, Saunders, Fitzpatrick, Smith, Lawless, etc for years too. And while these players aren't terrible, we'd never have got a team willing to pay money for any of them and they'd have stuck about here being paid a wage that we then wouldn't have been able to offer to Higdon, Ojamaa, Faddy, Randolph, etc.

I also think it's churlish of anyone to suggest our club hasn't been well-run over the past decade.

• Like 3

hutchy, murphy and reynolds all signed three year deals which is as long as you can expect 20 year olds in their positions to sign.

If we can't sign players to longer deals we should look at giving them deals that expire whilst we are still due compensation but agents are probably wise to that.

It's a double-edged sword though - if we bang all these guys on long-term contracts before we know just how good they can be, we'll get more out of players like Hutchison but we'd also be stuck with McHugh, Saunders, Fitzpatrick, Smith, Lawless, etc for years too. And while these players aren't terrible, we'd never have got a team willing to pay money for any of them and they'd have stuck about here being paid a wage that we then wouldn't have been able to offer to Higdon, Ojamaa, Faddy, Randolph, etc.

I also think it's churlish of anyone to suggest our club hasn't been well-run over the past decade.

We already are...

Disappointed most of all in Hutchy. I understand that he wants to play at a higher level blah blah blah. Best of luck to him, also fuck him. Punt him in Jan for what we can get if anything and move on.

I do feel as a club we should be trying with a year on a contract to sort it out if we know a player has the talent like the above mentioned, again tho if we have offered and he has said no then get him on the next bus out.

I don't blame Hutchy in the slightest and I'll follow the rest of his career with interest but I'll be absolutely fucking beeling if once again would lose our hottest prospect for buttons!

Do we not HAVE to sell a player every year to keep things ticking over?

We are we then waiting till the 11th hour to offer new contracts then when there's always a chance they'll knock it back?!?!