2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

If Hearts accept relegation as a certainty and terminate the contract of their senior players this month how about Wilson in for Hutchy? Could do a job....

Not sure I rate Danny Wilson particularly highly - I would rather have Hutchinson in my team for example...

Heard from my St Mirren supporting boss that Garry Kenneth is getting punted around to anyone who will have him up here, including St Mirren. Bit of chat about that on P&B too somewhere.

Assuming Hutchinson goes, would anyone take him to play alongside McManus?

Personally I would rather play Kerr or Cummins at CB and develop their game than play Kenneth, but he would probably be a better option (for now) than either.

Pure speculation and heresay I know...

Kenneth I would steer well clear of. Never been impressed by him.

Kerr looks like he could come in and do a job

Wouldn't mind Kenneth coming in, seemed like a good no nonsense centre half to me, but only if we do sell Hutchinson first of course

From what McCall was saying in his press conference, it sounds like Anier's club are trying to get us to take him off their hands, rather than extend his loan to end of season.

More details on Anier's club playing hardball

The 23-year-old has scored seven goals in 19 Premiership appearances and formed an impressive partnership with Well top scorer John Sutton.

But the Viking Stavanger striker's loan spell at Fir Park ends on January 16, and the Norwegian club have now given the first indication they are not willing to agree an extension of his loan, but would prefer a severance deal.

Viking director Arne Larsen Okland has admitted his side have opened negotiations with Well, but says Anier will only remain at Fir Park if a fee is involved.

Okland said: "We are in talks with both Henri and Motherwell. We are positive if he wants to leave, but only if someone wants to buy him. We do not want to loan him away any more, we want a permanent solution.

"However, it is unlikely Motherwell, a club that already is having issues with the economy, is in any condition to pay a transfer fee for Anier."

When it comes to letting Anier go for free Okland was nonplussed.

The Viking Stavanger spokesman said: "This is something we have not discussed yet."

Well are desperate to extend Anier's loan spell on the same terms as his current temporary deal, meaning that Viking will have to keep paying a significant part of Anier's salary until his contract expires later this year.

However, with the Fir Park side's disastrous exit from the William Hill Scottish Cup at the hands of Albion Rovers in the fourth round, the Lanarkshire club have been robbed of a potentially-lucrative source of revenue.

While Okland admits that negotiations with Well are ongoing, he refused to go into detail.

The Viking director said: "I know that Motherwell hope to reach an agreement with Henri, and they are negotiating with him in full compliance with us.

"But we still haven't made any deal whatsoever with Motherwell, but we do have a common understanding of where we stand.

"We have been speaking to Motherwell since Henri went there last summer, but I do not wish to go into detail about the conversations."

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall said: "We have a little bit of time with Henri still with us until January 16.

"I am not worried and I will leave it with our chief executive Leeann Dempster and hopefully we can get it done."

More details on Anier's club playing hardball

We can't afford him, simple as that. The early Scottish Cup exit put paid to any slim hope we had of paying a fee for him (although this would be highly unlikely even if we did have any money!). There are very few clubs in Scotland who pay transfer fees for players these days, even Sevco are cutting back on the spending. We will just need to tell Viking that there is no hope in hell that we can give them any money for Anier. I wish the boy well wherever he ends up.

We can't afford him, simple as that. The early Scottish Cup exit put paid to any slim hope we had of paying a fee for him (although this would be highly unlikely even if we did have any money!). There are very few clubs in Scotland who pay transfer fees for players these days, even Sevco are cutting back on the spending. We will just need to tell Viking that there is no hope in hell that we can give them any money for Anier. I wish the boy well wherever he ends up.

But his agent gives hope.

Jonne Lindblom, agent of Henri Anier, whose loan in Motherwell ends in January 16th, believes that it is possible that Anier will stay in Scotland.

"Motherwell wishes for Anier to continue playing there and will offer him a contract," said Lindblom to Õhtuleht. "We're not talking about one lasting till the end of the season but for 1,5 to 2,5 years. It's also clear that Henri wishes to stay in the club. Now everything depends on Motherwell reaching a deal with Stavanger Viking."

Former Flora Tallin youth signed a 3-year deal with Viking in 2011. In spring 2012, he was regular starter there but dropped out of the squad after his injury. In 2013, Anier was loaned out first to Frederikstad and since August same year, to Motherwell, where he has scored 7 goals in 19 games.

When asked if Viking wants a transfer fee from Motherwell, Lindblom didn't give a direct answer. "It's between the clubs. It's clear that there's no place for Henri in Viking at the moment". What's the probability of Anier stying in Motherwell?" "Well, let's say it's very possible".

http://www.soccernet...n-vaga-voimalik

Can't find the source at the moment, but Anier has mentioned that he'd be willing to take a serious pay cut to continue playing for Motherwell.

BTW his young brother is free agent after leaving Odense Boldklub.

You know, as much as Anier has scored some valuable goals so far this season, I can't say I will be overly worried if we can't keep him.

Decent player yes, but nothing we can't do without. Especially now that Moore and Faddy have shown that they are both capable of playing upfront with Sutton.

Thats not to say I don't want him to stay, just it won't be the end of the world if he leaves. *

* Unless he turns up at Aberdeen and fires them to second place!

I know it would mean losing him just now, but can't we sign Anier up on a pre-contract for next season?

We probably could, however, I am sure there would be a few vultures flying overhead waiting to offer him a better deal. It would be better to secure something that keeps him at Motherwell until the end of the season at least. After that who knows where he may end up.

We can't sign him on a free yet - he has another year on his deal due to how his current team's season works, so he won't be out of contract until next January (I think).

Also agree re: Moore mentioned above. I've seen him 2 or 3 times finish tamely or miss the target when a square ball would have led to a tap in for Sutton/an other.

He played well at Kille but was guilty of the same offence there, as well as at the weekend.

It sounds as if Viking are desperate to get him off the wage bill if they are even contemplating letting him go for free. However, Henri would be crazy to rip up his contract and take a drop in wages unless we can offer him some long term security. He is clearly enjoying himself if he is considering this. Maybe Henriks success at getting a decent move has been an influence.

If the deal can be done at the right price we should go for it especially if we can offload Hutch for a fee. We are well covered in defence and probably have a defender too many in the squad than is necessary.

You know, as much as Anier has scored some valuable goals so far this season, I can't say I will be overly worried if we can't keep him.

Decent player yes, but nothing we can't do without. Especially now that Moore and Faddy have shown that they are both capable of playing upfront with Sutton.

Thats not to say I don't want him to stay, just it won't be the end of the world if he leaves. *

* Unless he turns up at Aberdeen and fires them to second place!

Both Moore and Faddy haven't been anywhere near consistent yet, far from proven that they can start regularly and give us what Anier has given us. Considering he's quite often subbed 70 odd minutes in and hasn't always started , 7 in 19 is a great return. The squad will be far weaker without him.

Considering he's quite often subbed 70 odd minutes in and hasn't always started , 7 in 19 is a great return. The squad will be far weaker without him.

I agree we would be weaker without him, all im saying is that in my opinion he's not integral to our way of play. A decent striker yes and certainly worth keeping if we can, but he's not a gem like his pal last season however.

IMO!

• Like 2

But his agent gives hope.

http://www.soccernet...n-vaga-voimalik

Can't find the source at the moment, but Anier has mentioned that he'd be willing to take a serious pay cut to continue playing for Motherwell.

BTW his young brother is free agent after leaving Odense Boldklub.

Ojamaa has a wee brother too... I wonder if Luc Nijholt has a wee brother?

Apparently tomorrows(well today's) Sun is running with a story that McCall hopes to sign Anier on a permanent basis by offloading fringe players, with McHugh and Cummins being the two players mentioned.

McHugh has fallen well down the pecking order behind Sutton, Anier, Faddy and even Moore, Cummins though I thought might play a larger role what with the imminent departure of Hutchinson. Unless he perhaps feels Euan Murray is the better long term option.

I mean it's the Sun, so there's a fairly good chance it's not true but would people see that as good business?

McHugh has fallen well down the pecking order

We don't need The Sun to tell us that, I had real high hopes for the boy (his style of play has always reminded me of a young Scott McDonald) and I believed he had the potential to move on to bigger things. You need look no further than Paul Slane to see what can happen to your career if you don’t make the right decisions. Bob’s future now looks set to be mainly based in the lower leagues (coming back to haunt us with late goals in the early rounds of the league and Scottish Cup) If he is lucky he might get a move to the likes of Partick Thistle.

From Evening Times

Ransom not worth risk as Willie looks to cash in on youth

MOTHERWELL should not be held to ransom by Viking Stavanger over hitman Henri Anier.

That was the view of Fir Park icon Willie Pettigrew, who has watched the Estonian net seven times this season for the Steelmen during a loan spell which expires on January 16.

But as exclusively revealed in SportTimes on Saturday, Stavanger are looking for a fee from Well to pay out the balance of his contract.

Motherwell's greatest striker of the post-war era, Pettigrew is still working with the club's young strikers and he believes there is more than enough quality coming through the ranks to fill any void caused by the Estonian's potential departure.

He also says youth is the long-term solution for the club rather than short loan deals.

Pettigrew said: "Anier has done very well for Motherwell in recent weeks but the bottom line is that football is a business, and without the luxury of revenue coming from a run in either cup, the club must cut their cloth accordingly.

"Even if we do secure his services until the end of the season then Motherwell will be back in the same position as they are now when Anier moves on in the summer.

"If a deal can be done and it doesn't cost Motherwell anything extra then great.

"If not, then I think we have got to be looking at giving youth its chance because we have more than enough talent coming through the Youth Development centre.

"You look at say St Mirren or Dundee United, for instance, and they are both giving their kids a chance and they are reaping their rewards for that.

"I reckon we should be looking, in an ideal world, at having maybe around 60% of our first team home-reared.

"It is great to see young Craig Moore getting game time with the first team and you have to say that if Anier moves on then there is an opportunity for one of our own to gain vital first-team playing time.

"Lee Erwin would have given us another home-grown option, but sadly he will probably miss the remainder of the season through injury.

"But there are more good kids coming through at Under-19s and youth level. I have been lucky enough to work with some of them."

Although Motherwell's home game with Inverness was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch on Saturday, the Fir Park men still remain in the SPFL Premiership top three with a game in hand over second-placed Aberdeen.

Pettigrew believes manager Stuart McCall is due an enormous amount of credit for negotiating a form blip to string together five wins on the bounce to keep his team flying high.

The Seventies legend said: "Considering how tight his budget is, Stuart McCall has done a fantastic job at Motherwell.

"He had to contend with his biggest summer of change by a mile since he came to the club three years back, but now that the players he has brought in are settled, we are starting to see their quality.

"I like the lad Lionel Ainsworth as he has pace to burn and has really added an extra dimension to our play of late and, as he has shown, he can finish.

"I see no reason why we can't stay inside the top three until the end of the season."

Meanwhile, former Well right-back Tom Hateley could join Barry Douglas in Poland after going on trial at Slask Wroclaw.

The 24-year-old left Fir Park in the summer before a short stint at Tranmere.

I had high hopes for McHugh aswell, to me the biggest problem has been he hasn't had a run off first team competitive games. Never went on loan or played more than 3 90 mins in a row, except u20 football etc.

He's now at the age where this is telling on he doesn't look quite as sharp as he could. The boy clearly knows how to finish which is always a bonus but he looks sharpness outside the box IMO.

Sun article...

McCall to dig deep for Anier

EXCLUSIVE KENNY MacDONALD

Published: 9 hrs ago

MOTHERWELL hope to land Henri Anier permanently — by offloading fringe men Bob McHugh and Adam Cummins.

Boss Stuart McCall is optimistic about boosting his squad by securing the services of the Estonian frontman.

The Fir Park side have been locked in talks with his Norwegian club Viking Stavanger and are hopeful they’ll be able to seal a long-term deal. He’s currently out of Well’s wage range — but if they can get McHugh and Cummins out on loan deals it will free up funds to help keep him. Anier has hit seven goals in 19 SPFL games and he’s told Well bosses he’d prefer to stay in Scotland rather than return to Norway when his loan deal finishes on Saturday night.

Clubs including Partick Thistle and Championship outfits Morton, Queen of the South and Livingston, are all hopeful of landing McHugh.

Meanwhile, Dan Twardzik has returned to Dundee following his loan spell — but he could yet return to Fir Park.

I'd like to keep Anier, but only if it makes business sense.

I wouldn't like to see him go to another Scottish team.

Cummins and McHugh? Meh. Neither have been given extended game time so we can't really see what they can do for definite.

I remember being raging at McHugh for missing that penalty in Russia. Which possibly isn't entirely fair of me, but here we are.

Cummins has a great song about him, but I'm not sure that's a reason to keep a player!!!