2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

did mccall not say the other day that there was no truth in the rumour and he wasnt sure where it had come from

as i said in the other thread, i would be more than happy if he came in - no matter who does, they have a very hard act to follow after our recent successes in that position

as touched on in another thread somewhere, and being discussed in the cooper last night - i would love the players to get together and have chat, and them all to agree to sign on another year. Randz touched on it in his interview, if the core can stay together - it could sway his decision

so come on guys.........you all love being here, you all love playing / working with your mates and the fans appreciate what you have achieved, so how about one last crack together.......can we win a cup? a very good european performance?

All we need is some more of Ice Cream Saunders!

He's definitely a much better right-back than Hateley. Once he's back and playing and hopefully re-signed, then it will be like a new signing.

That's a HUUUGE assumption to make after the serious and lengthy injuries he's had.

On the other hand, we know what Hateley can do. I know who I'm hoping to see line up at right-back at the start of next season.

If Saunders can come back and provide genuine competition for places across the back line, all the better.

Not going to worry too much about next season, just enjoying the team we have.

Looking at the team we had out last night and where they came from though, there are bound to be players out there

Charlton reserves

Released by Reading

Released by Bradford

Youth system

Southend

Shrewsbury

Free agent

Rotherham

Free agent (ok, it's stretching the point with McFadden)

St Mirren

Free agent

There are players out there, just need to rely on McCall to find them. Given he brought in five of last night's starting eleven, I reckon he's earned a bit of faith...

Good observation. Signs of good links with the right scouts and agents.

I'm a tad worried to be linked with players like McGowan and Samson, as I'd consider our success over the last few years to have been largely due to bringing in interesting players from the lower English leagues, rather than bringing in players across the local divides.

Teams like Aberdeen and Hibs have brought in players from other Scottish teams and seem to sink ever further down the league, whereas we look further afield, unearthing gems and moving ever upward.

With the odd player, such as Higdon, being the exception to the rule.

Personally Id love to see either at Fir Park,McGowan for Law would be a superb swap! The only way we'd get close to Law is by paying a hefty transfer fee,McGowan is at the Apex of what we could hope for when replacing Law

I'm a tad worried to be linked with players like McGowan and Samson, as I'd consider our success over the last few years to have been largely due to bringing in interesting players from the lower English leagues, rather than bringing in players across the local divides.

Teams like Aberdeen and Hibs have brought in players from other Scottish teams and seem to sink ever further down the league, whereas we look further afield, unearthing gems and moving ever upward.

With the odd player, such as Higdon, being the exception to the rule.

Niall McGinn and Johnny Hayes have been terrible signings for Aberdeen this season. Only scored 22 of their 38 goals this season.

As for Hibs their team this season has pretty much been - Williams, Clancy, Hanlon, McPake, McGivern, Wotherspoon, Claros, Taiwo, Stevenson, Griffiths and Doyle.

Out of that 11 the only player they signed from another SPL team was Tim Clancy from us.

Not going to worry too much about next season, just enjoying the team we have.

Looking at the team we had out last night ....................................

There are players out there, just need to rely on McCall to find them. Given he brought in five of last night's starting eleven, I reckon he's earned a bit of faith...

Very well put

you can do the same for other teams

free agent

queen's park

released by preston

league of ireland

youth system

released by hibs

released by boro

youth system

airdrie

youth system

hartlepool

one of our biggest advantages this year has been having a team who are extremely familiar with each other. that's also why ross county have done so well.

Kind of illustrates my point really. Over a period of a number of years we've been outperforming other clubs of a similar stature to ours (and some would argue bigger clubs), despite the fact all clubs in the SPL are pulling from the same pool of players. It's not like we've brought in a higher pedigee of player than the other clubs by paying big money, more that we've brought in the right players. We're just going to have to do it again. And given that McCall has brought in nearly half of our first team, no reason to doubt that with a bit of luck and clever management of the budget, we mght be able to do the same again.

I do take your point about a settled team though. If we lose three of four guys who've been fixtures in our first team, i will be a challenge to get the team to gel quickly. Having said that we lost three leaders last season, and we shuffled our pack and kept going. Should we lose Law, Randolph and Ojaama (who I reckon is more likely to leave than Higdon), we have replacements within the club who wouldn't let us down. Carswell may be a different type of player to Law but he would be provide legs playing alongside Lasley, and would protect tha back four allowing our wingers more freedom. Hollis has shown sigs he could be a solid goalkeeper, albeit not of the standard of Randolph. And for me McHugh could easily play alongside Higdon. Replacing McFadden? Well, we won't get a player of his calibre but I'd like to see us try and bring in Higginbotham. He seems to fit the way that McCall likes us to play and has shown enough to think he could contribute. Assuming we keep the three Hs (Higdon Hateley and Humphrey), we could be looking at a lineup of

Hollis

Hateley Ramsden Hutchinson Hammell

Humphrey Lasley Carswell Higginbotham

Higdon McHugh

Would that team finish second? Probably not, but it nwouldn't be struggling at the bottom either, I reckon. This season's team has performed as well as any Motherwell team of the last twenty years. To be looking to match that again next season would be a tall order. I'd settle for mid table and the team still trying to play attractive, attacking football.

For me the key is keeping Higdon and Humphrey (I'm assuming Randolph and Law are gone). Higdon for obvious reasons, Humphrey because, as erratic as he can be, he still gives SPL defences pause for thought and opens up space for other players by doing so. I'd like Ramsden and Hateley to stay but I think we could replace them if we had to. I reckon we'll sell a player that's not out of contract as well this summer. Hutchinson or Ojaama? Ojaama seems more likely as there's been stated interest in him already. Obviously the eleven I've listed above leaves not a lot on the bench, but I'm confident we'll see a few new faces this summer either to provide cover or to take the place of the players I've listed...

• Like 2

Replacing McFadden? Well, we won't get a player of his calibre but I'd like to see us try and bring in Higginbotham. He seems to fit the way that McCall likes us to play and has shown enough to think he could contribute. Assuming we keep the three Hs (Higdon Hateley and Humphrey), we could be looking at a lineup of

i can't see higginbotham being too happy that he has only played ten minutes in the past 5 weeks. i don't think he'll be here next season.

i can't see higginbotham being too happy that he has only played ten minutes in the past 5 weeks. i don't think he'll be here next season.

Agreed. Unless we can convince him to stay as McFadden will be off. There is the potential carrot of Europa experience.

Agreed. Unless we can convince him to stay as McFadden will be off. There is the potential carrot of Europa experience.

at the dundee game he sat in the dug out at half time bouncing a ball rather than warming up which looked like a bit of a petted lip.

from mccall's point of view if he had him in mind for next season i'm sure he would have came on on friday night. it's quite a strange one considering mccall at one point thought we didn't need faddy :laugh: due to having higginbotham.

I'd be delighted if we could get McGowan from the Buddies. Can't see it being particularly likely as he'd probably get offered more down south, but he's a great player.

Samson... meh, really. Reasonable goalkeeper, I guess that's what we'll be having anyway. Pulling another Randolph from obscurity seems unlikely.

What do folk reckon to Ramsden? Worth signing on again? He's been almost anonymous for us from what I've seen, which as a centre half, isn't necessarily a bad thing?

What do folk reckon to Ramsden? Worth signing on again? He's been almost anonymous for us from what I've seen, which as a centre half, isn't necessarily a bad thing?

i thought he had his best game for us on friday and has been more aggressive over the past few months. i agree about the anonymous thing, a lot of the time he seems to be determined to stay out the way of opposing attacks.

i'd sign him and kerr up, there is much worse out there and given that the standard of the league is likely to drop again in the summer due to financials i think we can get by with them.

Obviously the plan originally was to have Higgenbotham and Humphrey in the team, but then Faddy came along and obviously someone has to sit out

Anyone else think that Humphrey is getting more game time because he's out of contract and McCalls trying to keep him sweet to sign a new one? I reckon if Humphrey wasn't out of contract Higgenbotham would have gotten more game time.