2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Apparently there was a story in the Greenock telegraph with quotes from Dougie Imrie.

Not signing for Morton at the moment, as he has an agreement in place with Motherwell IF we don't get faddy. Otherwise he will take Morton offer.

Why turn the question ? Why not answer the question ?

I can see the sales pitch for him , Europe and international (Brian Kerr) Boro swallowed it and paid a big price for him. The celtic fans were pleased to see the back of him. Boro are now glad to see the back of him. So is it his form at Bristol that makes him good or are we still swallowing the sales pitch from 2010 - he played for celtic he must be good (despite the celtic fans who watched him very much insisting that he isnt).

Hes been in the Championship window for 3 years but is up training at Fir Park loooking for a wage , he mustve made some impression down there

I think he is terrible. Thats my opinion , im willing to be swayed , what do you base him being any good on ?

Brian Kerr doesn't have 25 caps for Scotland, McManus does. Brian Kerr didn't twice play for a team that got to the knockout stages of the Champions League, McManus did. Brian Kerr hasn't won every major domestic trophy in Scotland at least twice, McManus has.

A ridiculous argument. I've never been a massive fan of McManus but he'd be an excellent signing at SPL level. His experience of playing top level football, his leadership qualities that saw him captain the biggest club in the country at the age of just 25 and not to mention he might just help provide a winning mentality in those big cup games having picked up 7 medals of his own during his career.

Would be delighted if McManus signed, however if this boy Reid is signing I can't see it.

Concentrate on that part of the post while ignorning the rest if you prefer. Fairly obvioous i was demonstrating that you dont need to be a good player to have played at a higher level. If you are so keen on comparisons , what about Zander Diamond who got a contract in England while McManus looks like he cant ?

McManus was captain at celtic and not getting a game , he was captain at celtic when they loaned him to Boro.

Fair enough , youre entitled to your opinion , his achievements at celtic make him a player in your opinion. From my experience celtic fans say he was a bit of a joke figure , loved for clapping and making "come on" gestures to the crowd and who they were glad to see the back of when he left.

Why turn the question ? Why not answer the question ?

surely i offered enough of my thoughts?

however i am of the same opinion as Well4Europe.........the guy has played at a higher level than Motherwell his whole career. Yes he might be 31 and he might be on a downward spiral but surely he still has something to offer, on and off the park

he's a left sided centre back, something we dont curently have

however, if the signing of reid gets confirmed - then Kerr, Ramsden, Cummins and Reid all in the same boat that they can play RB or CB

Zander Diamond left Aberdeen for Oldham, then Burton - that isnt the same as leaving Celtic for Boro and Bristol City(loan)

McManus has probably made a fortune out of the game - Diamond probably hasnt. McManus is probably in a position, like McFadden, that if he wants to come back to Scotland, and in particular the Lanarkshire area - he can afford to pick and choose who he wants to play for. Money isn't the clincher here

I'm quite puzzled why we are trying to sign this guy from Morton. We are more than covered in defence. Just makes releasing Saunders even more bizarre.

Regarding McManus... I've long since stopped listening to Celtic fans opinions on players. These are the fans that would have you believe Roy Keane was a huge success for them and that McDonald was pish! They also hunted Strachan but we all know why that was....

Maybe it's the Celtic link. Maybe logic goes out the window when that red rag gets flung up.

Theres definitely some on here who care more about the old firm than their own club , a look at the Sevco thread tells you that. :whistling:

Shall i take a leaf out of your book and start an attention seeking "to the board of MFC if you sign McManus ill return my 'Well Society and season ticket" thread ?

• Like 3

I think he's a hard working, good in the air, would run through a brick wall....

He has his weaknesses, to be fair to him though, at Celtic Gary Caldwell probably didn't help.

:lol:

He might not be a world class centre half, but a guy who is only 30/31, has bags of champions league and international experience, has captained Scotland and a very successful Celtic team at the highest level, is more than good enough for Motherwell!

I'm not saying we need him, and I don't know how fit he is, or what he'd cost, but its hard to argue with a CV like his!!

surely no one is stupid to have a transfer policy where you go for experienced internationalists and if they knock you back poach players from morton?

Mcmanus would be a great signing. If hutchy goes i'd happily see him paired with cummins.

Concentrate on that part of the post while ignorning the rest if you prefer. Fairly obvioous i was demonstrating that you dont need to be a good player to have played at a higher level. If you are so keen on comparisons , what about Zander Diamond who got a contract in England while McManus looks like he cant ?

McManus was captain at celtic and not getting a game , he was captain at celtic when they loaned him to Boro.

Fair enough , youre entitled to your opinion , his achievements at celtic make him a player in your opinion. From my experience celtic fans say he was a bit of a joke figure , loved for clapping and making "come on" gestures to the crowd and who they were glad to see the back of when he left.

From what I've heard it's a conscious decision to come back up to Scotland for family reasons as opposed to not having any offers down south...

Also, Andy Goram was Motherwell captain when he was loaned out.

And folks, don't worry so much about Faddy :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, Celtic season ticket holder I spoke to reckoned he'd be a cracking signing for us. Says he was hindered at Celtic by that numpty Caldwell.

He'd bring great balance to the centre of defence by being left footed too. Who was the last lefty we had in there? Surely not Partridge?

For what it's worth, Celtic season ticket holder I spoke to reckoned he'd be a cracking signing for us. Says he was hindered at Celtic by that numpty Caldwell.

He'd bring great balance to the centre of defence by being left footed too. Who was the last lefty we had in there? Surely not Partridge?

Mark Reynolds!!!

This is crazy, McMannus would be a major coup. As said previously, captained a cup and league winning team more than once, captained Scotland, Boro most recently and if he came to Motherwell and played alongside Hutchy then that might be the answer to stop how many goals we leak...

I think people just have this persona, "plays wae shellic, hes pish, dont want him" ... I'll take him in a heartbeat!!

As for Reid, I havent seen him play but Morton last season were almost a promoted side and Michael Tidser has recently moved to Rotherham, and like Reid he is a former Celtic youth. I think we need to believe and trust in what McCall is giving us as he is only providing what the board are allowing him... I for one am behind everything he does, he was right with Higgy and he will continue to be right this season (i hope) In McCall We Trust :cheers:

• Like 2

FACTS

Saunders has been punted because he was on a huge wage and injury prone. Craig Reid is a young up and coming defender on a small wage.

McManus has played at a pretty high level all his career - this makes him a good player because if he wasn't he wouldn't have played regularly with these clubs. 150 games for Celtic. Over 60 games for Middlesborough and 20 for Bristol in one season.

Dougie Imrie may be a bit of wank, but he also has no end product and would be a very underwhelming signing if it went through. Would trather just play Angol on the wing.

Faddy is a fucking legend and the best player in the SPL. If we sign him I will cream myself. Again.

• Like 1

I dont know why Gary Caldwell gets so much grief. Hes by no means the best centre half in the world but hes nowhere near as bad as hes made out to be. He won Wigans player of the year 2 seasons ago did he not?

• Like 1

FACTS

Saunders has been punted because he was on a huge wage and injury prone. Craig Reid is a young up and coming defender on a small wage.

McManus has played at a pretty high level all his career - this makes him a good player because if he wasn't he wouldn't have played regularly with these clubs. 150 games for Celtic. Over 60 games for Middlesborough and 20 for Bristol in one season.

Dougie Imrie may be a bit of wank, but he also has no end product and would be a very underwhelming signing if it went through. Would trather just play Angol on the wing.

Faddy is a fucking legend and the best player in the SPL. If we sign him I will cream myself. Again.

Agree with most of this apart from the bit about Reid being young and up and coming. He's 27..

Theres definitely some on here who care more about the old firm than their own club , a look at the Sevco thread tells you that. :whistling:

Shall i take a leaf out of your book and start an attention seeking "to the board of MFC if you sign McManus ill return my 'Well Society and season ticket" thread ?

Never gave either of them up mate - just applying a wee bit pressure.

And let me just re-cap in a thread where most well fans were taking a severe boot at an old firm corpse, you were one of the few who wanted them protected.

Go figure

no idea how good or bad he is, but a bit harsh to hold him solely responsible for Morton losing 5 goals to dundee or for QOS getting relegated (i'm sure Gus McPherson was the main contributor there).

As far as i am aware he is on trial with the team in Spain, but no contract has been offered yet