2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

I'm not panicing over our options just yet. Firstly I'm expecting at least one more forward type signing and if you told me we would start against Krasnodar with...

Neilson

Ramsden

Hutchison

McManus

Hammell

Lawson

Lasley

Vigurs

McFadden (Please be fit!)

Sutton

Angol

...I'd be reasonably content. Sutton can lead the line Angol can provide some pace, McFadden real quality and danger coming in off the right. A pretty solid midfield trio with Vigurs offering some creativity. Lawson a steady base and Lasley giving it a bit of everything.

Hoping to see a bit of depth added soon but if everyone is fit right now I see a team that could be pretty decent.

Did Lawson\Vigurs not create quite a few for County? My guess is that Faddy will have a fair few assists as well, so I don't think the drop in creativity from losing law, Ojaama and Humphrey will be massive (big drop in pace though). A lot will depend on what ZFA or mystery winger produces.

I'm still not convinced that Ramsden is the way to go at RB. I've got no issues defensively but I don't think he's got the attacking threat that Hateley had. I think Kerr is a bit more ambitious going forward but not as reliable as a defender.

I do think that we've been spoiled recently with the Hateley/Humphey partnership on the right side. These guys played well over 100 times together and really got to know each other's game. Whatever we go with this year it's going to take a while to settle I think.

I think we're lacking strength and depth in lots of areas we weren't last season. I think to say we're better defensively and worse offensively compared to last season is a bit simplistic - we've only really brought in McManus in defence and I think the jury's still out on whether he'll be a good signing or a total liability. As for going forward, thank god Faddy's in, but we did have him for the back end of last season so it's not like he's a brand new signing (although it will be if he steps it up another level). I still rate Sutton, probably won't grab as many goals as Higdon did but he had a pheonomenal season. The options up top now are pretty limited compared to last year though, we had great variety in Murphy, Higdon and Ojaama. I'm hoping this Anier comes in and does something because I'm not convinced McHugh will contribute that many. If we can get Hateley back on less money I think we'd be pretty stupid not to, but I can't see that happening. Other than the centre of midfield there's not a position we couldn't do with strengthening.

• Like 1

I disagree. I think we're doing alright in most areas considering where we were a month or so ago.

Goalkeeper

Gunnar Nielsen

Lee Hollis

Ross Stewart

We were always going to operate with just two senior keepers, we have that plus the young lad from the U 19's. Early days but Gunnar's looked quite promising from what I've seen of him and I've no problems with Hollis as backup.

In defence...

Right Back

Simon Ramsden

Fraser Kerr

Left Back

Steven Hammell

Zaine Francis Angol

Centre Back

Stephen McManus

Shaun Hutchinson

Adam Cummins

Euan Murray

Kerr/Ramsden(whoever isn't playing right back)

Baring a ridiculous injury crisis I think we're pretty well stocked at the back. Plenty of experience there and at least two players for every position. I know Kerr and Ramsden aren't everybody's cup of tea but I think there both competent fullbacks at this level.

Centre Mid

Keith Lasley

Paul Lawson

Stuart Carswell

Three players competing for two positions. If we're playing a 4-2-3-1 this season I'd be comfortable with any combination of two of those three next season. Vigurs can drop in as well If need be although I think we'll see McCall using him in a more attacking sense.

Obviously, the area we're lacking is pace and a bit more creativity. However McCall wants to bring another two players, one a wide man and one a striker. Given who he's brought in so far I trust him to get it right.

Right now we could line up

-----------------------------------Nielsen-----------

-----Ramsden-----Hutchinson------McManus------Hammelll---

-----------------------Lasley©-----------Lawson------------------

-----McFadden---------------Vigurs-----------------ZFA----------

-----------------------------------Sutton----------------------

And have a bench of

Hollis

Kerr

Cummins

Carswell

McHugh

Erwin

Moore

As I said, if McCall can bring in a wide man and at a push another option up front I really don't think we can complain about depth. Sure a few of the younger lads like Murray, Moore, Erwin etc. might have to step up at some point during the season but I thought that's what the fans wanted? People complaining not so long ago about young, local lads not getting a chance. Or did that just sound good in theory but in reality when it comes down to the crunch would people be happier if we went out and filled our squad with experienced journeymen?

Personally quite happy McCall has went for quality over quantity and I for one am also more than happy to see some of the younger boys get more game time this season. I think it promises to be another good season and I for one am optimistic for the season ahead. Just my opinion mind.

• Like 2

Well 4 Europe's summary is pretty good. Erwin, Moore and Murray are in the 1st team squad, so are part of the depth for their respective positions. I think there's a tendency to forget these guys because they aren't new signings. Three of our most experienced players came through the same system, then there is Hutchy, Cummins and McHugh.

If we are going to make money from selling players we need to see a good few new youngsters get first team exposure each year.

Well 4 Europe is on the money for me.

Im happy with the squad. The 2 signings the manager has highlighted would be the icing on the cake and should see us do well this season imo.

But then Im a glass half full sort of guy....

we still need at least two players.

bob took his two goals well on saturday but his all round performance didn't suggest that we can count on him to lead the line if sutton is unavailable. we definitely need another striker as well as a winger .

I genuinely believe that Angol would bring real pace to the front whether playing directly up front or playing left midfield and would be a great foil for McFadden.

I posted my strongest XI on Pie and Bovril a few days ago.

As the squad stands at the moment, ZFA should be a starter in the left midfield role, IMO.

............Nielsen...............

..Hutchinson......McManus.........

Ramsden................Hammell....

.......Lawson.....Lasley..........

McFadden...............Francis-Angol

.................Vigurs............

.............Sutton................

Just watched the goals of the season DVD. If only we could have kept Humphrey, Ojamma, Higdon and Law....

Still we had them all for the last Euro campaign and we did not do much.

There is not a lot of pace in this team and that worries me. I think we will be fine for the SPL, but I fear a Euro repeat of last year.

I would like to see ZFA given a chance, but agree we need an out and out goal scorer. Not easy to find, but maybe a loan player from the EPL.

I posted my strongest XI on Pie and Bovril a few days ago.

As the squad stands at the moment, ZFA should be a starter in the left midfield role, IMO.

............Nielsen...............

..Hutchinson......McManus.........

Ramsden................Hammell....

.......Lawson.....Lasley..........

McFadden...............Francis-Angol

.................Vigurs............

.............Sutton................

That's a pretty decent looking line up. So let's say we grab an out and out goal scorer ( using the phrase from another post ) and a speedy winger. What would the line up then be if we were to include these 2 players from the start? I suppose having the extra 2 players is about providing options?

speedy winger

goal scorer

Lasley shouldn't last the season,he is 35-36 now and for large parts of last season looked it,lets not get the over the top man love and the odd cracking game at the tail end of the season cloud our judgement. If we go 2 in the middle of a 4-4-2 it should be Lawson & Vigurs with Las supporting from the bench. If its 4-2-3-1 it should be Lawson & Las with Carswell regularly replacing Las.

I still think we need 2 at the very least but if only 1 comes in it needs to be a pacey Right Winger. I really like ZFA and think a front 2 of Faddy & Sutton backed up by Vigurs,ZFA & a Rw could be very tasty. Lawson then sitting in front of a solid back 4 would keep us nice & solid too.

Of course that would leave us praying for luck as there is only McHugh,Moore & Erwin to bolster the strikeforce but would do some damage the time they were together

Lasley shouldn't last the season,he is 35-36 now and for large parts of last season looked it,lets not get the over the top man love and the odd cracking game at the tail end of the season cloud our judgement. If we go 2 in the middle of a 4-4-2 it should be Lawson & Vigurs with Las supporting from the bench. If its 4-2-3-1 it should be Lawson & Las with Carswell regularly replacing Las.

I still think we need 2 at the very least but if only 1 comes in it needs to be a pacey Right Winger. I really like ZFA and think a front 2 of Faddy & Sutton backed up by Vigurs,ZFA & a Rw could be very tasty. Lawson then sitting in front of a solid back 4 would keep us nice & solid too.

Of course that would leave us praying for luck as there is only McHugh,Moore & Erwin to bolster the strikeforce but would do some damage the time they were together

Lasley is 34 and whilst no one lasts forever if he looks after himself he could keep going for a bit yet.

There is no way Shaka you could get away with Lawson and Vigurs as a midfield two. Have doubts either would flourish in a midfield two tbh.

Really hoping Carswell makes his mark this season.

Who knows what names we are looking at to replace Ojamaa and Humphrey but we could do worse than the likes of Chris Maguire,, should he be available on loan again.