2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

We are trying to live within our means. The squad we have and wages we pay means that we still require a top 6 finish and decent run in the cups or we will post another loss, so I am led to believe.

That being the case - then Steelboy et al should wake up and smell the coffee.

Not saying we could not have signed certain other players instead of the ones we have signed, but....

This is the limit for the squad as far as we can afford unless one of us wins the Euromillions or a Sheikh takes a fancy to claret and amber.

I am more than happy with the squad. McCall did say another right sided wide player on loan..but that is us....

Fingers crossed we keep a relatively fit squad...but that is the same every season.

• Like 1

mcmanus won't be cheap so there was obviously money there.

We've signed 7 players, extended 3 and brought in a loan recently so the funds have been available to build a squad. it's all down to whether the manager has signed the correct balance.

I'm disappointed that we haven't signed a right winger but to suggest that it reflects poorly on McCall is laughable.

The quality of signings we've made is excellent. Three international players, three guys who've done it in the SPL before and a young guy with potential. Did we sign more defenders than I expected? Maybe, but if McCall is pondering going three at the back, it makes sense. This also negates the need for an out and out right winger.

As for having no one to develop and sell on. Cummins, Carswell, Erwin, Moore, Kerr, Angol, just off the top of my head...

And despite Kenny Black saying this would be our last signing, I'm not so sure. I seem to recall McCall saying we didn't have enough money for Ojamaa's wages before we signed him. Declaring that we've spent our budget, means that any club we get a loan signing from might not be expecting us to pay too much...

• Like 2

A winger would have completed what has been a good batch of new signings, although it's more important that with live within our means. Last year we pressed teams with our speed on the flanks, this year we will just need to play to our other strengths. Players like Humphrey were always going to be hard to replace, however, if by some good fortune we progress in the Europa league there might be money available for a loan deal to fill the void.

"

It'll be a poor reflection on mccall as a manager if we don't sign a winger."

HA HA HA HA What a fud!

Davybhoyssmiley.gif

Great way to SUPPORT your team, not even kicked a ball in anger yet. We have some cracking young boys coming through and we are trying to run a great club in budget. FFS you ever happy? What a sad life to have to be so negative at every turn.

Try one of these today if you can biggrin.gif

I love how everyone was buzzing about the amount of signings we've made so far and now because we've spent all we can McCall is getting slatted.

Did i miss the "Why we don't trust the Manager" thread ?

We'll be more than fine this season, Another european finish should be expected.

Anyone think that this expensive trip to Russia may have had a knock on affect on the playing budget!!

If we get thru this round then potentially money will be added to the budget again for players!!

From the shoutbox

Motherwell coach Kenny Black has admitted the club cannot make anymore signings due to the cost of their Europa League trip to Russia. (Daily Mail)

Looking for a link...

kenny black in the sun saying this will be our last signing.

It'll be a poor reflection on mccall as a manager if we don't sign a winger.

We had two on trial at the weekend. Clearly they couldnt have impressed enough to earn a deal.

I agree getting a winger in with pace would be desirable but they are hard to find on the money we can pay.

So, how does that reflect on McCall exactly?

He identified it as a position needing filling but hasnt managed to get someone of the right quality in.

I suppose we could have just signed someone to fill a jersey, but wait, he did that last year and was slaughtered for it........

Go figure.

I despair at the lack of realism that some posters display. Look at McCall's record with the team, Scootish Cup Final, League Cup Semi-final, Europe in every season. Has any other non-OFmanager achieved anything near this? The moaners always quote teams like Aberdeen, Dundee United or Hibs when they're dissing McCall. Ask yourself this question: If you were a neutral, which of these teams - Aberdeen, Dundee united, Hibs or Motherwell - would you have preferred to watch over the past three seasons?

kenny black in the sun saying this will be our last signing.

It'll be a poor reflection on mccall as a manager if we don't sign a winger.

You can tell steelboy's raging when he accidentally uses a capital letter in one of his posts.

• Like 3

Can we not just leave the budget to the board and stop jumping to conclusions regarding wages etc. based on nothing other than pure guess work and speculation? If there's no money left then that's it, the squad we have at the moment is more than capable of a top six finish.

If McCall said he was looking to bring in 2 more players and we sign one on a 6 month loan, I find it difficult to believe we have blown our remaining budget.

That was before we found out we had to fork out for a jolly to Russia.