2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Anier confirmed by club!

Motherwell Football Club can today confirm the loan signing of Estonian International striker Henri Anier from Viking Fotballklubb.

The 22-year old came highly recommended by his Estonian teammate and former 'Well forward Henrik Ojamaa and is the eighth new face of the summer.

The forward has already pulled on the Claret and Amber in a pre-season friendly against Newcastle Utd before scoring in his second match against Morecambe.

Anier came through the youth ranks at Flora Tallin before spending a year at the Sampdoria Academy in Italy.

He signed professional for FC Valga Warrior, netting 13 league goals in 24 starts in his rookie year. His performances earned his a move to Flora where he spent three seasons, scoring 52 times in just 86 matches.

That form earned him at move to Norway and Viking Stavanger. His time in Norway hasn't been as profitable and he has been farmed out on loan to Fredrikstad Fotballklubb.

Anier has been ever-present for Estonia's youth national teams. He won his first cap full cap against Chile on 19 June 2011 and Uruguay on 23 June 2011, although he had played in non-FIFA Internationals prior to those games.

He scored his first goal for Estonia on November 2012 in an international friendly game against Oman. Further goals against Andorra and Trinidad & Tobago have followed, taking his tally to three in seven for the Sinisärgid.

He joins the Steelmen on an initial six-month loan and will be a part of the squad that faces FC Kuban Krasnodar this Thursday.

Impressive record in Estonia, although I'm not entirely sure of the standard of the Estonian top flight.

Going by those stats, pretty poor I think. The Norwegian league is a much higher standard and if he had repeated his Estonian scoring exploits there, he wouldn't be coming to us.

True, the standard is obviously very poor.

However 65 goals in 100 games is impressive no matter the level. It's obviously a big jump to go to from that level to Norway where as you say the standard will be much, much higher.

He's still young, he wouldn't be the first player to take time to settle at a higher level and hopefully with a bit confidence he can rediscover his scoring touch with us.

Have to say he does feel a bit like a faintly desperate last-ditch addition despite Henrik's supposed recommendation. But I don't suppose we have much to lose on a six-month loan, and we've been pleasantly surprised by uninspiring-sounding additions before now. (And judging by the "initial six month period" wording, sounds like we may have an option to extend or buy if he does well.)

What were Ojamaa's stats when he came to us?

From wiki:

Years 	        Team 	                 Apps† 	(Gls)†
2009–2010 	Derby County 	          0 	(0)
2009 	→       Stafford Rangers (loan)   5 	(1)
2010–2011 	Alemannia Aachen 	  1 	(0)
2010–2011 	Alemannia Aachen II 	  10 	(1)
2011 	→       Fortuna Sittard (loan) 	  7 	(1)
2011 	        RoPS 	                  17 	(2)

Was a rhetorical questions, as we all know his previous stats were no precursor for the impact he would have on the team but cheers anyway. Definitely shows that what Anier has achieved thus far has no bearing on his future performance.

Also disagree with whoever said it smacks of last minute desperation. I think the opposite is true, given how long he was on trial and how many games he got compared to other trialists.

Got a text out the blue today saying we were getting linked with Mark Wilson. Apparently a bbc journalist had tweeted something?

Can't see it given the balance of the squad and the need for a right winger but I'm aware that he is interested in a move back to the area.

Got a text out the blue today saying we were getting linked with Mark Wilson. Apparently a bbc journalist had tweeted something?

Can't see it given the balance of the squad and the need for a right winger but I'm aware that he is interested in a move back to the area.

Yeah, there is someting to it it seems (in as much as it is being reported) - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-talk-july-29-latest-2101916

I agree though seems weird given the players we need/don't need. That said, he is/was a good player.

Yeah, there is someting to it it seems (in as much as it is being reported) - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-talk-july-29-latest-2101916

I agree though seems weird given the players we need/don't need. That said, he is/was a good player.

I guess it just about makes sense given he is a right back (especially if we are looking to sell Hutch), but it could just as easily be as a journalist jumping to conclusions.

Would be a crackin addition and give us a fantastic back 4 teamed with Mick,Hutch & Hammell but with our lack of budget and having Kerr & Ramsden there is safely say there's fuck all chance of anything there.

Happy with Anier,pleasantly surprised that we've now brought in 8. Can Anier play wide right or is he purely a striker?

Would be a crackin addition and give us a fantastic back 4 teamed with Mick,Hutch & Hammell but with our lack of budget and having Kerr & Ramsden there is safely say there's fuck all chance of anything there.

Happy with Anier,pleasantly surprised that we've now brought in 8. Can Anier play wide right or is he purely a striker?

I have only seen him play against Newcastle and he roamed about a bit but mainly played through the middle. Doesn't look like he would play wide right to me.

Were we not linked with one of the subs that came on at the Newcastle game...he was a winger, was he not? Loan deal obviously, but that's about as much as I'm expecting given our dealings this summer.

There's a certain charm about sitting with the live deadline day update sitting at the bottom of your work PC screen though...even if it takes until then I can see us getting someone else in.

I guess it just about makes sense given he is a right back (especially if we are looking to sell Hutch), but it could just as easily be as a journalist jumping to conclusions.

that would be alarm bells for me! We have enough veterans in the team...dont want to do an Aberdeen of last few seasons.

We didnt pursue the lad from Morton after McManus signed, so dont see why we would reopen interest in a right back when we already have enough internal options.

that would be alarm bells for me! We have enough veterans in the team...dont want to do an Aberdeen of last few seasons.

Aye, average age of a back four of Wilson-Ramsden-McManus-Hammell would be quite a hike from last season when we had Hateley and Hutchinson in there. I'm all for having some experience in the side but some youthful enthusiasm wouldn't go amiss. Average age of our team this season is a lot higher than previous seasons...

Which is why as pleased as I am with the quality of our signings this summer, I'm really hoping that the likes of Carswell, Erwin, Kerr, McHugh and Angol make an impact this season to ease the burden when we have to replace key guys who are the wrong side of 30 soon. Lasley and Hammell won't last forever sadly...

Aye, average age of a back four of Wilson-Ramsden-McManus-Hammell would be quite a hike from last season when we had Hateley and Hutchinson in there. I'm all for having some experience in the side but some youthful enthusiasm wouldn't go amiss. Average age of our team this season is a lot higher than previous seasons...

Which is why as pleased as I am with the quality of our signings this summer, I'm really hoping that the likes of Carswell, Erwin, Kerr, McHugh and Angol make an impact this season to ease the burden when we have to replace key guys who are the wrong side of 30 soon. Lasley and Hammell won't last forever sadly...

Yeah I do agree with that. However, as long as it is managed with a bit of foresight over the next 2/3 yrs it shouldn't be a problem. Faddy and McManus are 1 yr deals so its not like we see them sticking around really. Too many players are written off nowadays from 30 onwards when in reality you might get a good few years from them. Quite happy if we have a core 5/6 experienced pros supplemented by youth.

On Mark Wilson - can he not cover right mid, centre mid and even left back? Maybe if we cant get a decent winger its not a bad shout given size of squad?

Last season we were putting out back fours with three U21's at the beginning of the season when there was a few injuries and selection problems.

The hike in experience at the back should be seen as a good thing and probably needed more than ever now that Randolph is no longer between the sticks.

I know what u mean. Both times I have been on Twitter I clocked him going on about the 'Prem'annd Man U and Rooney etc. etc.. It was as if playing for Motherwell was just a job in fact never mentioned us. Which is fair enough except when he moves to The Rangers and every two seconds he is banging on about them. It makes you realise that he was just too embarassed to be at Motherwell to talk about us.

Dick.

stop following him on twitter then!!

Were we not linked with one of the subs that came on at the Newcastle game...he was a winger, was he not? Loan deal obviously, but that's about as much as I'm expecting given our dealings this summer.

There's a certain charm about sitting with the live deadline day update sitting at the bottom of your work PC screen though...even if it takes until then I can see us getting someone else in.

i think McCall had a chat with Pardew - along the lines of some of them were going to the Championship this season but if there were other who he fancied then they could have a chat about it

On Mark Wilson - can he not cover right mid, centre mid and even left back? Maybe if we cant get a decent winger its not a bad shout given size of squad?

apart from centre mid, i was thinking the exact same - when he played with Utd and Celtic, he was very much an attacking full back - maybe he still has something in the locker he could offer us going forward. I could see him play Right Mid in a 442 - but certainly NOT a wide right player as part of a 433

Although we were awesome last season - i think the team picked itself and we were pretty predictable with regards to line up and formation. This season so far, we have played a few formations - so it will be interesting to see how it pans out over the season

The hike in experience at the back should be seen as a good thing and probably needed more than ever now that Randolph is no longer between the sticks.

totally agree, although I fully expect Nielsen to be an able deputy - the experience in front of him should only help