2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

you've clearly not seen him recently

I've not either, but my mates a thistle fan and he agrees with the general forbes consensus you see on here. Great technical skills, no engine.

Hes worried about his ability to step up to SPL level. Will be interesting to see how the lad gets on.

Lawless performed well last season and looks like carrying that form onwards. I have no doubt he's a good player but was behind Murphy, Humphrey, McHugh, Higdon and Ojamma last season. I'm glad he got the chance to move on and progress.

I have a feeling Forbes will come back to haunt us. Regardless of all those who are very vocal about his work rate, commitment and fitness, he is a technically gifted player who can score some great goals. Remember a certain game against an Albanian team in Airdrie?

The Vigurs debate is amongst the worst I've heard. Possibly as bad as 'Higdon, not the answer' from last season. I thought Vigurs to be one of the best attacking and goalscoring midfielders of last season. We haven't had that midfield option for a number of seasons.

Vigurs is a class act and the fact that he's anywhere near an 'is he any good' debate highlights the level of dug meat that inhabits this forum.

Lets support these guys instead of waiting impatiently for a stray pass to bounce of their boot lace so you can all go 'see I told you he was shite'

The big guy is keen. I, personally, can see his point. Quite plainly outs the gaffers policy of picking Hollis over Gunnar due to 'long service'. Hollis was very decent vs Hibs though it has to be said.

I'm OK with it to a point fatcalf. If there is a belief in the management that there's a distinct difference in their ability then it's a high risk policy. I'm more for throwing out the best team that's available. However Hollis has been decent enough in the competitive games and I'm hoping it continues that way.

My main concern this year is Carswell. I thought he's looked impressive enough in his appearances to merit jostling for a starting berth. I'd like to see him getting more games but foresee him just running down his contract and going elsewhere

My main concern this year is Carswell. I thought he's looked impressive enough in his appearances to merit jostling for a starting berth. I'd like to see him getting more games but foresee him just running down his contract and going elsewhere

Aye, kind of echoes my thinking. If Hollis has waited for his turn behind Randolph then surely the same could be said of Carswell when Jennings and Law were at the club. We've brought in Lawson and that'll surely affect how many games Carswell plays. Thing is, Lasley can't go on forever so I'd hope to see us gradually phasing Carswell into the team this season as his replacement...

• Like 1

I think we should see a real progression plan this year with Carswell & Lasley! Las is OOC in the summer and if we give him another contract it will be criminal. For all the big performances last year he did also spend a fair time floundering and doing nothing but playing those fucking chipped passes to thin air. Another year on the clock will be too much for Las

• Like 1

I wouldn't be chucking Lasley on the scrapheap altogether. If he was willing to take a reduced wage as a squad player, a one year deal might not be a bad idea.

My reasoning behind it? Next summer, we'll have McManus, McFadden, Hammell, Hutchinsin and Lasley out of contract. That's a lot of experience. There may be value in having an "auld heid" around the place if there's going to be an increased reliance on the likes of Cummins, Carswell, Kerr and Murray. Obviously Lawson and Sutton are both experienced players but if Lasley wasn't looking for a first team wage, there might be something he could bring to the club rather than the team...

I think we should see a real progression plan this year with Carswell & Lasley! Las is OOC in the summer and if we give him another contract it will be criminal. For all the big performances last year he did also spend a fair time floundering and doing nothing but playing those fucking chipped passes to thin air. Another year on the clock will be too much for Las

Think your being a little harsh. Reckon we could get another season out of Lasley. He is a solid player for us!

He's only going to turn 34 this season, which when you consider modern day fitness, health and nutrition regimes allied to the fact he was never really blessed with great pace anyway, then it shouldn't automatically sound the death knell for his Motherwell career. Certainly to suggest that it would be criminal if he gets another deal just seems mental.

But certainly it would seem mutually beneficial both for Lasley to extend his career and Carswell for the development of his, that over the course of the season (and future seasons if the case remains) that Keith is used more sparingly.

But either way perhaps the time for such a debate would be later on in the season when we have actually seen how Lasley has coped with the rigours of the campaign?

He's only going to turn 34 this season, which when you consider modern day fitness, health and nutrition regimes allied to the fact he was never really blessed with great pace anyway, then it shouldn't automatically sound the death knell for his Motherwell career. Certainly to suggest that it would be criminal if he gets another deal just seems mental.

But certainly it would seem mutually beneficial both for Lasley to extend his career and Carswell for the development of his, that over the course of the season (and future seasons if the case remains) that Keith is used more sparingly.

But either way perhaps the time for such a debate would be later on in the season when we have actually seen how Lasley has coped with the rigours of the campaign?

Just beat me to it there; far too early to be writing off a player when we have only started current campaign.

Agree that Lasley shouldn't be ruled out for a contract extension. We all know he lacks pace but McCall said he's 1 of the fittest at the club. Nothing in the 3 games he's played so far this season has me worried that he's on his last legs!

Lawless is a talented boy and should have been given a new contract. if necessary, he could have been loaned out for a few months last season to get game time.

Now we are toiling for a winger while someone like Bob McHugh sits on a 2 year contract

He was, funded by the money we got from Blackpool for Jamie Murphy. Then Murphy decided to turn them down.