2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

The boy doesnt command his box - I've said it before and I'll say it again, he done us a great turn when he was here but as Goggles and Flippers has said, circumstances were very much in his favour. I wouldnt be happy if he was our long-term goalkeeper.

Aye he joined us when the team really started to click, but it's not like that meant he had fuck all to do. You canny deny he pulled of a number of fantastic saves each game and contributed massively to us getting all 3 points each game. He's still only 22, which in goalkeeping terms is still very young. Would be happy to have him on-board.

That said, I've always quite liked Hollis and think he'll do a job for us. His record this season up to the point he got injured was actually pretty decent all things considered.

[steelmenonline]

"Lets's keep Dan!! We need to keep Dan! It would be amazing if we could hang on to Dan! I hope we can do a deal to keep Dan. Dan is the difference!! Woooo DAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!"

.....ok we'll looking at doing a deal to bring Dan back....

"ohhhh I dunno about that Dan's awffy wee, Dan doesny command his box enough, maybe a deal to the end of the season in case he's shit. Dan will do I guess but what about Kello instead?"

[/steelmenonline]

• Like 1

I wouldnt be happy if he was our long-term goalkeeper.

Made one of the best saves I've seen this season against Partick.

Hollis didn't do any wrong during his spell and while I don't think he's going to develop into one of our great goalkeepers I'd be happy for him to hang around. A manager should always be looking for better players than we already have so if McCall can find a better keeper than Hollis good, if not, I think Hollis is decent enough but probably not in the top half best keepers in the league.

Nielsen doesn't have my full confidence. He's actually made some very good saves but he's also made some clangers and just generally he doesn't seem to command his box or instill confidence in his defenders.

Twardzik came in did brilliant and despite his short stature I never had any fears about having him between the sticks. I'd like to see him back so we can see more of him.

It's all a bit daft this. We've been spoilt over the past few seasons with Ruddy and Randolph, so it's perhaps inevitable that the keeper position is always going to be liable to more scrutiny when the replacements aren't of the same calibre.

I must admit, I was pretty sceptical about Hollis, but felt he did well enough in his first run of games to suggest that he'd be a capable replacement, if nothing spectacular. Nielsen on the other hand has been pretty poor - seems quite error prone, and as people have said, doesn't seem to inspire any confidence in the back line.

And now to Twardzik. He came in and did us a turn when we needed him, and whilst he performed really well, it wasn't as though he won us any of those games single handedly. That said, he showed enough in those games to suggest that he's a bit more solid (daft suggestions about his size aside) than Nielsen, and at least as good as Hollis.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hollis leaving at the end of the season, and Twardzik would be an adequate replacement if it came to it. I would rather see Kello than either of them, but to be honest all we're doing is comparing our current crop with the rest of the SPL. We'll no doubt pull some random out the bag like we always do.

• Like 1

Funny that.... considering he never played a single minute for Leeds in the four years he was there....

However, he's available, he's free, he wouldn't be expecting a high wage, so maybe we could offer him a trial? Or at the very least offer him our facilities to keep fit and keep an eye on him?He seems to have been a fans favourite at Barrow, Ayr and Crewe.

Alan Martin left us when he was about 18 years of age. He was frustrated that, with his talent, he wasn't being given a chance in the first team. He hawked himself around a bit and eventually signed for Leeds (we did receive a small compensation fee). Didn't cut it there and went out on loan to Barrow. Then lost track of him and he turned up at Ayr. Now turned up at Crewe. A bit like a younger version of Tom Hateley. I always got the impression he was a young lad in a rush with an inflated sense of his own ability.