2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Really glad it's worked out for him. He must have been gutted in the summer after impressing on trial, going on the tour to Spain, then Mick decided on us over Hibs and our money was all spent. Perhaps Ramsden and Kerr's injuries are worse than first thought?

Assuming that Reid has signed until the summer, this will act as an extended trial period. With McManus and Hutchinson out of contract in the summer, we may be looking to sign a couple of defenders and if Reid impresses then there may be an offer on the table for him...

McManus will sign on again and we will have to replace Hutchy.

Hopefully Reid's a decent RB allowing Ramsden to move in alongside McManus next season in place of Hutchie.

I'd rather keep Ramsden out right, if we can replace Hutch with some decent quality. Ramsden's been great out there this season.

Assuming that Reid has signed until the summer, this will act as an extended trial period. With McManus and Hutchinson out of contract in the summer, we may be looking to sign a couple of defenders and if Reid impresses then there may be an offer on the table for him...

He may come in but I don't think he will come in for either of those two. His strength is he is a utility player than can fill in at various positions. I don't see him as a first choice pick at centre half.

Ramsden could move across again when Hutchinson leaves but surely that would only happen if we failed to bring in a more recognized centre half.

I thought there was some improvement this season but still some immaturity in his play and we might be his level right enough. Would like him to stay and develop into the player he could be.

Sometimes the only way to develop at the next level is to play at the next level.

Stephen Hughes returns to East Fife after just one game for Dundee

STV 25 February 2014 14:39 GMT224738-dundee-player-stephen-hughes.jpgStephen Hughes made just one appearance for Dundee.SNS GroupStephen Hughes has returned to East Fife on loan for the rest of the season after playing just once for Dundee.

The former Rangers, Motherwell and Aberdeen player only joined the Dens Park men on January 13 and made his debut in the 2-0 loss to Falkirk later that month.

The 31-year-old signed for the Tayside outfit under former boss John Brown, having previously made ten appearances for the Fife side earlier in the campaign

However Brown departed at the start of February and Hughes did not feature in new manager Paul Hartley's plans.

Now the midfielder will try to help Gary Naysmith's team preserve their status in the country's third tier.

His only goal this term came in November's 3-1 triumph over Airdrie.

Having watched Craig Reid in 3 games now he's impressed me and I hope we can sign him long term. He's solid, good in the air and good going forward. Better than Tom Hateley I'd say. Potentially the best right back since Paul Quinn - early days though.

Having watched Craig Reid in 3 games now he's impressed me and I hope we can sign him long term. He's solid, good in the air and good going forward. Better than Tom Hateley I'd say. Potentially the best right back since Paul Quinn - early days though.

I think Ramsdens a great right back, be dissapointed if he doesnt slot straight back in. Imo

I think Ramsdens a great right back, be dissapointed if he doesnt slot straight back in. Imo

I've a lot of time for Simon Ramsden - a dependable no nonsense player. The kind of lad that you don't miss until he's injured. However he's 33 this year and injury prone. Probably room for them both

This kind of post does my tits in. You have seen this Reid boy three times and he is instantly better than a right back who played for us over 100 times in one of our best ever teams...

• Like 7

This kind of post does my tits in. You have seen this Reid boy three times and he is instantly better than a right back who played for us over 100 times in one of our best ever teams...

I did qualify my post by saying "Potentially the best right back since Paul Quinn - early days though.". The fact that Tom Hateley played over 100 games for us is not definitive in its own right. It indicates that the managers thought he was a decent player and was reliable in terms of injuries. He wasn't a bad back, granted, but in my view he was ok but no better than that. The fact that he played in one of our best teams does not mean much in itself. I don't recall huge competition for the right back berth. In any team, good or bad, you're likely to find a mixture of abilities - its unlikely that you'll find 11 players of exactly equal calibre. Tom, in my view was one of the weaker members of what was a very good side. You'll be as aware as anyone that he split opinions. Although not fast, he was decent on the attack and could hit a decent dead ball (on occasions). Not the best defender in the world. I recall his corners getting crucified on this very board and in the stands week after week. Ok in the air.

Personally had no problem with him leaving to try to better himself, but evidence suggests that others didn't share his view of his own value.

Yes, perhaps I was a bit premature about Craig Reid but I'm still impressed by him. He put in decent shifts at both Tannadice (45 minutes to be precise) and McDiarmid Park with little or no support from most of those around him. A bit of a baptism of fire I'd say.

I think Reid has been OK. Just OK. Couple of good slide tackles early on which seems to have won over half the crowd instantly.

Skint a few times. A decent cover for right back til end of season.

He didn't track back a fair number of times and block off a run or cross without diving in?

He didn't bomb forward in support of Ainsworth a good few times on the overlap?

He didn't get involved in good passing moves down that flank a good few times?

He didn't get a few crosses in?

It is indeed early days and to say he's our right back for the foreseeable future after two starts is,of course wrong?

But so is dismissing his performance yesterday or suggesting a couple of slide tackles won the crowd over.

Dismissing him as 'decent cover for the rest of the season' is as flawed as saying he's the new messiah.

Time will tell

• Like 1

Feck sake,, express an oppionion and slaughtered for it. Get yer tits sucked so it doesn't do them in

I think we should sign the rest of the boys from One Direction. Doncaster Rovers must be loving the amount of money they're raking in for reserve games.

Sidney mentioned this on 'Off the Ball' yesterday, but did I not see something about the monies going to a children's hospice/ hospital or similar?