2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

If McCall goes (which is a big if), maybe we could get Jim Gannon back, sign us up another batch of players, then punt him and get a sane manager in at the end of the transfer window.

I know this is a joke, but would be worth it if he brings in the same standard of player as before.

I know this is a joke, but would be worth it if he brings in the same standard of player as before.

Definitely!

Minus yassin mouthakil!!

:lol:

Ruddy, hateley, jennings, coke, Humphrey and jutkiewicz were all guys he brought in I think! He also got the best out of Forbes and 1 or 2 others.

If he was a bit more stable, committed and a better man manager he'd be great!

Gary McAllister will get the job. He might not have fancied it in the past but I have a feeling that he may now see the Motherwell job as a good opportunity.

And aye McCall is away and as a manager who likes working with players he has had in the past I wouldn't be surprised if he took any of Higdon Law and Humphrey with him.

Think McCall will stay - he's just signed a new contract and it's only Sheffield. A bigger Championship club could still come in however.

Higdon's bags are packed and good luck to him. Can't help but think he's going to find himself playing as a single striker / target man again though - we were warned by the St Mirren fans that this wouldn't work for him and it remains a problem in his game.

Wouldn't begrudge McCall getting a move to Sheffield at all. He's done fantastically well here and really other than a cup win has taken us as far as he can in my opinion.

Will be hugely disappointed to see him go but wish him all the best if it goes through. Just hope that this news doesn't put off some of the guys re-signing for next season, but unfortunately I think it will.

Edit: Had a dream Higgy moved to FC Copenhagen last night ... oddblink.gif

I don't think McCall leaving will have any great impact on players staying because none of them will be staying anyway in my opinion. Higdon today basically confirming what I've been saying for a while that he'll want to cash in on the best season of his life. Hateley and Humphrey will get their moves for more money elsewhere and you just know the whole Faddy thing will drag on all summer again most likely and sadly I agree that we can't afford to wait forever for him to make up his mind. Wish them all luck for their years of great service to the club and move on.

If a new manager does come in he won't exactly have a blank canvas to work with but he'll be able to bring his own players in and put his own stamp on the team and he doesn't have to try and make McCall's team his own. He's got a decent base to work with already. Hammell and Lasley are Motherwell legends who've been there and seen it all in their time at the club and should help with any transition. At either end of the pitch you have two of the more promising youngsters in the SPL in Hutchinson and Ojamaa who are also potentially sellable assets if the need arises. And you have a decent crop of youngsters in Carswell, Cummins & ZFA as well as a couple of experienced pros in Ramsden and Lawson.

If a new manager were to come in, he'd have a decent enough budget to work with to try and use his 'contacts' to bring in a bit of quality in key areas such as a new keeper, a creative midfielder and 15 goal(ish) a season striker. Do that and we'll be fine. Although if McCall does go it'll bring out the worst in the Steelmen online panty wetters who predict doom before every season. Me, I've long since given up worrying about us losing players/managers in recent years. They come, they go, people worry we can't replace them but we always bounce back in the end.

Seem to remember people complaining last summer was a bit low key with not a lot of activity, well this one should be lots of fun. Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

Lawson said one of the main reasons for his move was the manager... makes me think McCall was/is planning to be here next season unless a really good offer comes in!

Sheffield united have an average attendance of around 16-18k a think so pretty big club in those terms but enough to lure him away from Motherwell?

Motherwell he has a pretty secure job, few bad results in England and you know what they're like...

He'd have to move his family, pretty sure he's children at school etc

Scotland job may be effected?

Loads of things to consider, sure he's no short of a few bob already so It would need to be a pretty big offer to tear him away, think he will hold out for the Rangers job

Probably cut down on the cheese! :lol:

Christ!! I did actually eat some cheese last night about midnight when I got in from 7's!!

I might munch some cheddar again tonight and see what other transfer rumors I can come up with! .. they'll probably more reliable than that rumor website that people keep posting links too!

• Like 1

Think McCall will stay - he's just signed a new contract and it's only Sheffield. A bigger Championship club could still come in however.

Higdon's bags are packed and good luck to him. Can't help but think he's going to find himself playing as a single striker / target man again though - we were warned by the St Mirren fans that this wouldn't work for him and it remains a problem in his game.

If he does go it won't affect us anyway so not bothered in the slightest, won't begrudge him his cash-in move but it won't work out well in all likelihood. Only way is down after the Mighty :rolleyes::thumbup:

If he does go it won't affect us anyway so not bothered in the slightest, won't begrudge him his cash-in move but it won't work out well in all likelihood. Only way is down after the Mighty :rolleyes::thumbup:

I was thinking this, but managers have a slightly better record of going on to bigger and better things than players.

McLeish, Davies and Eric Black all did ok on one hand.

Mark McGhee, Terry butcher, Tommy McLean not so much on the other.

(McLeish is a weird one! Everytime I think he's been found out he gets a better job, I expect to see him at the bernabeau next season)

I do find this story surprising because the Sheffield Utd chief executive stated last week that they had received 20 applications for their manager's post and had whittled these down to 7 applicants who would be invited to interview. So unless McCall submitted an application then how come they want to speak to him? Something just doesn't add up.

I do find this story surprising because the Sheffield Utd chief executive stated last week that they had received 20 applications for their manager's post and had whittled these down to 7 applicants who would be invited to interview. So unless McCall submitted an application then how come they want to speak to him? Something just doesn't add up.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think it's that unusual for clubs to both invite applications and make a short list of their own of people to approach, is it? (If not, what if all the people they approached said no?)

If I was him I'd be sitting thinking the following .....

Season 1 - Came in halfway through, got a Scottish Cup Final and top 6

Season 2 - Best of the rest, despite losing some valuable squad members, brought in a couple of decent lads with Law sticking out (had worked with him before and knew he had something) and Higgy especially in the second year of his deal.

Season 3 - Best of the rest, lost a couple of key players and due to their performances and a few may also be headed elsewhere. Got the Scotland backroom job and respect from my peers in award nominations and in the press.

Season 4 - Looking to do pretty much a partial rebuild as performances over the past year in particular have ensured that a number of players can move on to make an extra cash despite enhanced offers. The club needs to sell one young asset per year to progress and remain financially viable as income from 4,500 core fans, prize money and telly only goes so far. This could involve Ojamaa or Hutch as these are our best hopes. Been out the loop in the English lower leagues for 2.5 years now, knowledge is more in Scottish game. Team at present needs 6-8 resignings/new faces/youth team promotions and stands as:

----------------- Hollis ------------------

? - Hutch - Ramsden - Hammell

? -- Lasley -- Carswell -- Lawson

---------- Ojamma ---- ? -------------

Bench

GK?

Cummins

ZFA

McHugh

?

?

?

Ambition - I'd ask myself, how will the rest of the division do next year? Will our competitors lose a number of their key players too? If so, then what are our chances of attaining top 6 again? Will that raise my stock both here and down south further? Will staying in Scotland cement my standing or do I see myself settling in an environment that everyone seems to say is a pleasure to be involved in? Do I harbour ambitions of managing at the very top level, would staying put for another few years help with that or not?

Is the grass really greener at Sheffield Utd? I wasn't given a baptism of fire at Motherwell, there was a strong core of players, covering a wide age range with a high morale level. Will I enter a similar situation of have to take two steps back (resulting in criticism from the impatient) to go one forward? I'd probably have a rebuild here too granted with greater resources.

Do I want to put my family through another move and upheaval to potentially be cut adrift in 6-12 months time if it doesn't go to plan? If so, would my stock recover (McGhee?), if so, how long will it take and will I get back into a working environment like Motherwell? Will I have burned my bridges?

Let's face it the amount of money being bandied about down there pretty much means if you get an offer you will go.

Even if he fails down there, he'll come back up the road with a wallet a foot thick with notes and get a job at a Scottish club no problem.

I'm quiting a full time job to take a three month summer job because I'm doubling my money. Even if I don't work again until 2014 I won't lose any money in the long run. It's a no brainer for me, and a no brainer for Stuart McCall if he gets a similar offer, even if he's only there for a short period.

That's what it comes down to, footballers, managers, they are just regular guys like you and me and they make their career decisions on the same rationale.