2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Let's be honest here. Nicky Law was never going to play for England. He was never going to go to a club down South that would win things. So he should be looking as football as a job. He's been offered three times the money for an easier job (for at least two seasons). As good a player as he is, he was never going to play in the Premiership so how was his career going to develop if he went to Sheffield Utd or Huddersfield?

Look at it in those terms, can you blame him?

What a waste of talent Nicky Law, chasing the pound signs - disgraceful decision. Can understand someone like Jon Daly doing it, someone who is near the end of their career, but someone with the potential to earn just as much cash at a better level is letting himslef down badly.

Let's be honest here. Nicky Law was never going to play for England. He was never going to go to a club down South that would win things. So he should be looking as football as a job. He's been offered three times the money for an easier job (for at least two seasons). As good a player as he is, he was never going to play in the Premiership so how was his career going to develop if he went to Sheffield Utd or Huddersfield?

Look at it in those terms, can you blame him?

I can’t blame him, however he could have earned just as much by moving to Sheffield Utd and have the satisfaction of playing for a manager he knows well. He would also be playing in a better quality league against better quality players.

I can’t blame him, however he could have earned just as much by moving to Sheffield Utd and have the satisfaction of playing for a manager he knows well. He would also be playing in a better quality league against better quality players.

So he would have earned as much playing against better players? Kind of my point. Offered two jobs on the same money, one a job that'll be really easy the other a challenge? Which would you choose...?

Football is a short career that even at the fag end of the SPL you make enough to have a comfortable living. I don't understand why someone would want to piss two years of it away playing against part time teams you should be beating five or six nil each week and all that happens is when you don't you get ladels of criticism. What Rangers players have come out of Division 3 with a shred of credit? McCulloch maybe but not many more. Players will naturally become lazy when they are better than the opposition each week and whilst this does a lot for his wallet it does nothing for his career. Nothing against Rangers here though, they have to satisfy the big crowds they get and they have to look to bring in talent that will entertain them.

So he would have earned as much playing against better players? Kind of my point. Offered two jobs on the same money, one a job that'll be really easy the other a challenge? Which would you choose...?

For the benefit of your career you surely choose the one where you can improve yourself rather than the one where you'll deteriorate (Black, Shiels, Sandaza, Templeton, Wallace...)?

Does it show he lacks ambition? Maybe. But maybe Law has simply looked and thought "What are my long term ambitions?". As good as he is, in England mid level Championship is the best he's looking at, if he's lucky. He can make as much playing for Rangers, pick up a couple of (worthless) medals, receive adulation of large crowds (they, like Celtic, see themselves as a cause so he will be one of "us" against the world) and have an easy ride against inferior players.

Would I have made the same decision? Probably not. Can I understand and sympathise with it? Absolutely...

For the benefit of your career you surely choose the one where you can improve yourself rather than the one where you'll deteriorate (Black, Shiels, Sandaza, Templeton, Wallace...)?

I can understand Law going there more than Templeton. Templeton is younger, more time to develop, more chance of international honours. Law, what was his career path going to be? Sheffield Utd, Huddersfield, Tranmere, Coventry, clubs of that size. Is it that much to give up? And I mean no disrespect to those clubs. He's going to be earning as much at Ibrox as he could there without breaking sweat.

Like I've said, wouldn't be my choice, but let's not pretend we can't see why he would make that choice...

I don't see what all the fuss is about over Law, In footballing terms he is never going to get a chance at a big club, SPL, Mid table championship or League 1 in England is his level, its not as if he was another potential Lionel messi FFS. If Sevco are offering him a deal where he earns 2 or 3 times what he is on just now for playing in an easier league etc then its a no brainer.

All this shite about no ambition etc is pish it only applies to the elite of the game the Beckhams, Messi's Ronaldo's etc for whom money is not a worry and they will look to win titles, cups etc. The other 99.999 % footballers are doing a job like anybody else, and as its a relatively short working career in respect to other professions they will try to get the best paying job they can, so Law is only doing the best for himself and his family so good luck to him.:nod: