2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

When McCall gets back from his holidays (whenever that is) he should be straight onto Higdon, Hateley etc & saying ok times up are you staying or going. Can't afford to be messed about Jennings style with so many new players required. Would not be impressed if we missed out on a target as we weren't sure if Higdon was leaving then a week later he pisses off.

nielsen would be a gamble but you have to assume that mccall would have asked lasley and hammell and maybe even meldrum for their opinions on him and i doubt they want to be playing in front of a muppet in goals. hopefully mcghee hasn't had any input, he knows heehaw about goalies.

vigurs is on the wait and see list with lawson. both of them definitely have some positive attributes but neither of them impressed when i saw them in the flesh or live on tv last season and i don't put too much stock in highlights (see ross forbes). hopefully they are here to compete with and zfa and carswell rather than be mccall's protected faves, playing for us in an attacking formation is very different to playing in front of the yokels up there in adams' anti football 4-5-1.

i'm still hoping we sign a couple (or more) attacking players who could actually improve the team rather than guys who wouldn't have been a first pick going back to the days of malpas..

Don't think McCall has much to do with picking the keepers in a recent interview he said he would leave that to Gordon Marshall, I think Marshall may have worked with Neilson during his time at the club, glad we are still looking for a keeper. Just need to improve our attack and find out what Faddy, Higdon and Hately are doing.

I always enjoy pre season when there are plenty of new signings.

Don't think McCall has much to do with picking the keepers in a recent interview he said he would leave that to Gordon Marshall, I think Marshall may have worked with Neilson during his time at the club, glad we are still looking for a keeper. Just need to improve our attack and find out what Faddy, Higdon and Hately are doing.

I always enjoy pre season when there are plenty of new signings.

he wasn't at fir park at that time.

Daily Record reporting that Wylde is looking likely to be heading to Aberdeen.

No shock if that happens they will be able to offer a larger salary than us.

Would have been / still could be a good signing if we pulled that one off.

Also slightly confused with the Gunnar Neilson move.

He has hardly kicked a ball in his whole career. Few games here and there. I would prefer we went for a more established and experienced keeper.

Mind you I could be wrong and he may end up the Faroe version of Peter Schimeical (I know the spelling is wrong, but I can't be fucked)

That was my initial thought as well, but Randolph and Ruddy were much the same when they arrived...as was Graeme Smith.. :tumbleweed:

I dunno, from memory, he was a big chunk of a lad, so hopefully isn't a vampire?

Daily Record reporting that Wylde is looking likely to be heading to Aberdeen.

No shock if that happens they will be able to offer a larger salary than us.

Would have been / still could be a good signing if we pulled that one off.

AGREED. Would have liked Wylde to join us. I think that will be a shrewd bit of business by Aberdeen if he signs.

I would have been more than happy with Lawson, Vigurs, Wylde and Faddy (staying of course).

Those comments about Vigurs - taken from STV site

What they've lost: Law was one of the most tireless attacking midfielders in the SPL. Comfortable on the ball, the English midfielder was the main link between attack and midfield, scoring six SPL goals and providing eight assists during the course of the season.

With a Power Ranking of 8.39, Law was the 39th most effective attacking player in the SPL last season.

Similar replacements: Although not exactly the same player, the most obvious direct replacement would be Iain Vigurs, who saw a move to Oldham fall through. Vigurs was a picture of consistency last season, with strong all-round play and a strong work ethic. He was capable of dictating the pace of attacking play and, like Law, was a potent goal threat.

With a total of 21.81, Iain Vigurs was the seventh best attacking threat in the SPL last season, scoring seven goals and providing nine assists.

Aberdeen seem to be putting quite a good team together. I fear they may finally have a good season.

everyone said that last season too - they spent alot of money last season, everyone was predicting them to push celtic all the way

it never happened :thumbup:

something needs to change up there, they should definitely be better than what they are (although at the same time, im very happy if they continue to fail!!)

nielsen would be a gamble but you have to assume that mccall would have asked lasley and hammell and maybe even meldrum for their opinions on him and i doubt they want to be playing in front of a muppet in goals. hopefully mcghee hasn't had any input, he knows heehaw about goalies.

McGhee trusted Meldrum to make decisions on goalkeepers back then. Meldrum made a mistake with Krysiak by offering him a loan spell on the recommendation of folk supposedly in the know (one of which was Roy Aitken) and had major doubts in Krysiak's ability if he were to be called on for a long spell should Buzz have got injured.

1371035069[/url]' post='386184']

Not only did Man City sign Nielsen, but they also gave him a contract extension - so they must have seen something there.

But then they panicked when there was actually a chance they might have to play him and applied to the FA for special dispensation to sign another keeper.

Aye, then released him and signed Dickie Wright.

What a world we live in.

I watched Wright come through when I lived in Felixstowe and went to the Ipswich games every week. He was tremendous as a youngster - like a young Randolph. No idea what went wrong later in his career, but he undoubtedly had outstanding ability. Seemed to be a confidence issue as much as anything,

But then they panicked when there was actually a chance they might have to play him and applied to the FA for special dispensation to sign another keeper.

That doesn't negate the fact they believed he was worth an extension after he had been on their books for a year.

I am maybe preaching to the converted but we have to realise that all signings are a gamble. Yes even Faddy back in mid season though less so, not match fit, and recent injury history. Yes it came off without him reaching his peak. Imho the success we had was more to do with the "lift" he brought to all about the club. For instance is it a gamble for Higdon to repeat his goalscoring feat wherever he plays next season?.

• Like 1

That doesn't negate the fact they believed he was worth an extension after he had been on their books for a year.

i know what you mean but as i put in the shout box earlier luke daniels who was also on loan here just signed a new two year deal at west brom despite being at the club for 9 years already and never playing a single game for them. epl clubs seem happy to pay for keepers they have no intention of ever using.

nielsen obviously got his foot in the door at man city because of mark hughes and i think it's safe to say that there are often reasons beyond footballing ability as to why some players get contracts eg andy roddie, casagolda, john davies, steve mcdonald, paul keegan and the cypriot and further from home bebe at man u or kerkar at rangers.