2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

There are a lot of assumptions being made of the Caley players. You never know there may actually be a few gems in there. Butcher done alright with his signings last season.

Granted, and I'm sure there's decent players amongst them. But surely the way to unearth a gem or two from the lower leagues is to build them into an SPL team....caley have signed the best part of a full team who all played conference football last few seasons!

Know anything about that John Sutton bloke at Hearts? Seems to be a hard-working target man, not the most prolific nor that quick but links up well with his team-mates, might be a good replacement for Higg'o if he goes....

• Like 1

Know anything about that John Sutton bloke at Hearts? Seems to be a hard-working target man, not the most prolific nor that quick but links up well with his team-mates, might be a good replacement for Higg'o if he goes....

Agree with that..getting Sutton back would be a good move, but only if Higdon goes, the two of them can't play together.

New Motherwell signing Ian Vigurs: Don't worry about players leaving the new lads are even better

THE player reassures fans the new side will be as successful as the last group as a flood of others leave the side.

Ross-Countys-Iain-Vigurs-takes-the-applause-from-the-home-fans-after-his-wonderstrike-1870899.jpg

SNS

IAIN VIGURS has told Motherwell fans not to worry about the players leaving Fir Park – because the ones coming in are s***hot.

The former Ross County playmaker was snapped up by Stuart McCall and becomes the second Staggie to make the summer switch to the Steelmen following Paul Lawson's move at the end of the season.

The incoming pair stemmed the outgoing flood of players like Henrik Ojamaa, Chris Humphrey, Nicky Law and Darren Randolph.

McCall will continue his rebuilding over the coming weeks and Vigurs is convinced the new-look side can be every bit as successful as the last group.

Vigurs said: "I know Motherwell fans might be panicking a wee bit when they see so many good players going.

"But they shouldn't. I can guarantee that Paul is a cracking player and I'm s***hot.

"I'm just joking, of course, but we've come in because Motherwell have been brilliant in the last few years and the challenge for us is to keep it going or try to do better.

"Of course it's going to be hard to replace those guys. They're good players but that's what we have to do.

"If we didn't think we could do it we wouldn't be here.

"This is a great move and I'm determined to make the most of it. I don't know Stuart too well personally but I've heard only good things about him and it says a lot he wanted to stay at the club and build a new team.

"He could have gone to Sheffield United but he's got big plans here.

"I'm sure there will be some quality new arrivals as well so it'll be an exciting time."

Things almost didn't turn out so well for Vigurs. The 26-year-old, who was one of the star turns in the SPL last season with County, came close to signing for Oldham.

The League One side had him in the club shop picking out a shirt for the customary signing-on photo.

But the deal collapsed at the 11th hour and Vigurs couldn't be happier to see Motherwell step in.

He said: "It was really close at Oldham but we just didn't get over the line for whatever reason.

"It's history and I am just looking forward to playing for Motherwell."

Vigurs has had to scrap his way to the top. Nothing has been handed to him on a plate.

He came through the youth ranks at hometown club Aberdeen and featured for Celtic at youth levels but wasn't offered pro terms and ended up at Elgin.

It looked like he had cracked the big time when he moved to Caley Thistle and became a mainstay under Craig Brewster before being frozen out by Terry Butcher.

Vigurs earned a reputation for being a bad boy – a label he's had to bust a gut to shake off ever since.

But now he's better known for being one of the best playmakers in the country, with a sweet left peg, an eye for goal and the ability to carve open defences with a pass.

Vigurs said: "My face just didn't fit at Inverness under Terry and Maurice Malpas.

"I'm not sure why. People said I had a bad attitude but honestly that wasn't the case. I was working hard but just getting 10 minutes here or there.

"They obviously just didn't fancy me. There's no hard feelings though.

"It happens and everything worked out eventually. You definitely appreciate it more coming from where I did. I was never at a big club as a kid, where just about everything is done for you.

"I had to work my way up but it just makes it all the sweeter when you end up at a club like Motherwell."

The switch to Ross County gave Vigurs a fresh start and he never looked back.

The midfielder played a key role in the Staggies' famous march to Hampden when they dumped Celtic to reach the Scottish Cup Final in 2010.

He was then part of the Ross County unbeatables that romped their way to the First Division title in 2011-12 before shining on the big stage in their maiden campaign in the SPL last season.

Vigurs added: "I absolutely loved my time at Ross County. I could write a book about it. It was just brilliant, from the cup run to promotion, and last season was incredible for our first season in the SPL.

"It was hard to leave after four great years but I just felt it was time for a change. I have been in the Highlands since I was 16 and felt like a new challenge.

"They don't come much better than Motherwell."

Vigurs, who was also approached by Rangers, can see nothing but good times ahead at Fir Park.

He said: "Motherwell have been the second best side in the country for the last couple of years by a mile.

"It's up to us to make sure we are again next season. I have never played in Europe before and that's something I'm really looking forward to.

"Motherwell have had some great European nights in the last few years with the likes of Nantes and Panathinaikos coming here.

"It would be great to get through a few rounds and bring a top side to Fir Park.

"There's no reason why we can't finish in the top three again and it would be great to win a cup.

"I came here because Motherwell have the potential to collect some silverware and a trophy is really the only thing that has been missing in recent years."

http://www.dailyreco...erwell-1954209?

• Like 1