2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

He was reportedly on £3500 a week at Motherwell. Top paid player.

£4500 grand at Barnsley suggests then that he was on less than £3500 grand at Motherwell, where the average basic wage is £75k. Would he really move for an extra £1000 a week?

Oh well the exodus continues and our adding to the squad proceeds slowly and very quietly. This will prove to be a good thing or not.

On the plus side think of all the wages we are saving on at the moment.

Fair play to him for getting a good deal. We set up the team roundabout him ns he benefitted from it. Hope he does well at Barnsley but not completely convinced.

Indeed. He'd have been mad to move for an extra £500 a week given we set up last season to play to his strengths but that's a wage hike hard to turn down.

Surprised that Barnsley were still interested given they've just signed O'Grady, another striker whose strength is playing with his back to goal and bringing others into play...

Tbh I thought £3500 a week was excessive. But that may also take into account win and performance bonuses.

One thing is for sure we had a smallish squad but still had the highest wage bill outside the City clubs. So yes a handful of players would have been on £2000 a week plus.

He was reportedly on £3500 a week at Motherwell. Top paid player.

£4500 grand at Barnsley suggests then that he was on less than £3500 grand at Motherwell, where the average basic wage is £75k. Would he really move for an extra £1000 a week?

Oh well the exodus continues and our adding to the squad proceeds slowly and very quietly. This will prove to be a good thing or not.

On the plus side think of all the wages we are saving on at the moment.

I would, like a shot.

Tbh I thought £3500 a week was excessive. But that may also take into account win and performance bonuses.

I'd suggest this is the case.

Was there not some trouble regarding bonuses with them not being budgeted for, in terms of winning as many matches and finishes so high in the league?

I'd suggest this is the case.

Was there not some trouble regarding bonuses with them not being budgeted for, in terms of winning as many matches and finishes so high in the league?

Probably. The fantastic thing about finishing 2nd is Europe and the extra income from the SPL. Almost £1m more than St Mirren.

The downside is a lot of that money will be eaten up by win bonuses and other related bonuses (assuming they exist) for finishing in a Euro slot.

If he was on £3500 a week then someone up by needs sacked. We can't afford to pay wages like that and have to move players on the minute they think they're worth that kind of money.

Higgy was the top earner and his basic weekly wage was a lot less than the amount being quoted.

He maybe did get close to that amount with bonuses etc but I have my doubts..