2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

It does not matter how much of a positive spin we try to put on it but SMC has a huge re-building task for next season. We have lost Randolph, Law, Humphrey, Ojamma, as well as Higdon, Hatley and McFadden (subject to official confirmation) thats 7 out of the 11 players who would start every week !! So far we have brought in 2 players who seem to be decent signings, and hopefully there will be a few more, but we seem to be the only team in the league losing 75% of their 1st choice team.

Given our level of success in recent years, Regular European qualification, champions league, cup finals, league runners up etc it will be a major achievement for SMC if we can get anywhere near the standard we set last season. That said, the signings he has made (apart from Daley :doh: ) have all performed well, so i am confident that he will do the same again and build another team, it will be an interesting season ahead.

• Like 1

i'm not overly fussed about Higgy leaving - its probably a good thing. He owes everything he achieved last season to Law, Ojamma and Humphrey - who have all now left. What he achieved last season was outstanding and a GIRUY to all those who slated him, however, we would have been paying him alot of money because of those achievements - and he would've certainly struggled to hit those heights again even if the afore mentioned players had stayed on.

hateley was a bit of an unsung hero - nearly an ever present over 4 years is not to be sniffed at. does make it strange that if we knew he was leaving, why did we release saunders? however, we must trust SMc and after his previous signings and performances on the park - i think he deserves that

if true we are looking at McManus, then its nice to get a bit of experience in there - and hopefully that will help Hutchy progress even more. Looks like Ramsden will be moving to his natural position of RB this season - will be interesting to see how the boo boys react to that one

If true McManus and Sutton would bring a great deal of experience to the squad, if Faddy signs I can also see us have two players in the Scotland set up as Strachan loves McManus and Faddy will only get better after a good pre season

If we can pull off the 3 above and get a couple of young guys from down south I think we would have a great squad

To be honest, I've prefered Ramsden at centre-half but if he ends up being right-back next season I could live with it. Hutchison and McManus with Cummins as back-up and Hammell at left-back with Angol keeping him on his toes is a fairly decent defence for my money. Sutton, McHugh and Moore is a strikeforce that is potentially very good but they are all a risk in terms of relying on them to lead the line every week so I'd like to see another striker added in from somewhere. A right midfielder and a goalie seem essential but I'm sure McCall has both of these under control. I expect five signings between now and the European games.

I think if we were to sign McManus then you'd have to think we'll be selling Hutchinson. So leaving us still looking for a right back or a centre half depending on where McCall wants to deploy Ramsden...

If we can bring in Nielsen and Sutton that'll be four very decent signings. Reckon we'd then be looking for wingers...

I like the idea of a Hutchinson / McManus partnership, could see that working well.

Of course that would mean keeping hold of Hutchy!

Still remember a horrendous tackle McManus made, think it was on his Celtic debut against us, might've been 1st game of the season.

Should've been a straight red & he didn't even get a yellow if I remember correctly!

Sure I'll forgive him if he were to come in & do the business for us though.

Pretty much agree with all of that Frazzle. That's a solid back four, and even if Hutchinson leaves (which seems likely, really), I'd be happy enough with Cummins/Kerr standing next to McManus. The only minor issue with McManus could be his fitness, but as long as the club are happy, I'm sure it'll be fine. Ramsden again could be an injury concern if he's to be our first choice right back, but we'll see, I guess.

Sutton, Moore and McHugh are an interesting collection of strikers as well, with one who's been around, one who should be stepping into the breach and one who will be looking to break through.

All in all, with Vigurs and Lawson already in, and big Gunnar seemingly getting closer to a return, we're doing not badly at all, in terms of our business. A bit of depth and we'll be back on track.

All this speculation is driving folk insane (although some were probably heading there already).

I'd imagine that SMC is looking at loads of options including some of the names mentioned here. He'll have loads of agents contacting him as they'll see Motherwell under his leadership as a route to getting their player a better deal in 1-2 years time (see Law, Ojamma, Humphrey, Randolph + Higdon possibly - note, I know he didn't sign them all but the coaching staff have been responsible for their development over the last 2.5 years).

He may not sign players we've heard of but if he's looked at them and decided that they'll fit the way he wants to play next year and fit in with the rest of the team then that's good enough for me. I'd be surprised if we signed more than 2-3 players in the next 2-3 weeks.

The chances of us keeping Hutchy, signing McManus and Faddy signing again at slim to say the least unless someone has won the lottery.

Hutchy is our most sellable/valuable asset who can leave for nothing next year so, unless he signs an extension, financially the club must be looking to move him on - although hopefully not until after the Euro games.

McManus is a cracking player who will be being chased by others but hopefully SMcC will prove to be more persuasive that others and he signs for us.

Faddy, we just can't afford him unless our benefactors from last season have deep pockets - we can only hope.

At least with Sutton we know the type of player that we are signing. We just need to get some good deliveries into the big man and he will slot them away. Higdon, Sutton is after your record! :thumbup:

So when do we get the ‘feels like I have never been away’, ‘it’s good to be back’, ‘I should never have left’ and ’Well saved me from my Jambo hell’ style interviews?

I think if we were to sign McManus then you'd have to think we'll be selling Hutchinson. So leaving us still looking for a right back or a centre half depending on where McCall wants to deploy Ramsden...

ramsden at right back is a last resort. we should be able to pick up a proper full back on the cheap.

McManus, Sutton + the other 2 are all goid solid players. What i would like is McCall to find some pace and creativity out there. We were taking teams apart with our pace and technical ability last season, more of the same please!

Reckon higginbotham would be a good asset if he was available

Reckon higginbotham would be a good asset if he was available

Was he fast?

I'd describe him as a right footed davie cooper.

:lol:

( not as good, but his style reminded me of cooper)

Sutton is slow, faddy has no pace.

Replacing the pace of Humphrey and ojamma with at least one fast player would be good!

Would take Higginbotham in a heartbeat.

I think he is still under contract at Huddersfield so it won't happen if that is the case.

Maybe get him back on loan won't know if that's possible until he reports back to his own club for pre season

Ramsden is a right back! we've been playing him "out of position"

Aye, we know that. He's slotted in there well after an indifferent start., but, has he the minerals to be the attack minded full back we'd expect? Doubt it as he's slower than a week in jail (I'll ask makaveli for his thoughts) and could be a rape and pillage (could ask makaveli for his thoughts on that too :whistling:) for the opposition next season...

• Like 1