2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

1372413967[/url]' post='387639']

Cannae say I'm excited at the news of Sutton signing, particularly when you consider our other current options up front which will mean that he is going to be 1st pick.

Wasnt a fan of his the 1st time around and since then his career seems to have gone backwards in a big way.

Snap yes.gif

Far from it bud,no delusions of grandeur here! And if I was in control of finances Id have never allowed precious cash to be wasted on giving McHugh an extension or signing the likes of Daley! My point is simple,the guys mooted (if they are indeed correct) don't inspire much confidence and there's a double whammy of a first team extremely poorer than last year AND a squad 4 or 5 bodies lighter than last year,there's only so much you can cut back

But If the income is dropping then there can't be a limit on how much you cut back can there?

I don't like the cut backs but as long as income is falling there is no real choice.

As for McHugh, someone said that McHugh has scored more goals for us than he's had starts. That's not a bad record to be honest. I would like to judge him after about 10 starts than 10-20 minutes in games given that some of them may be over by the time he's on the park.

Far from it bud,no delusions of grandeur here! And if I was in control of finances Id have never allowed precious cash to be wasted on giving McHugh an extension or signing the likes of Daley! My point is simple,the guys mooted (if they are indeed correct) don't inspire much confidence and there's a double whammy of a first team extremely poorer than last year AND a squad 4 or 5 bodies lighter than last year,there's only so much you can cut back

You claim your point is simple but the answer is even simpler. We cannot afford to have as many players on the books as we did last year. We cannot afford to offer wages that would keep the likes of Higdon and Randolph and so we have to sign players of a slightly lower calibre because they will accept a slightly lesser salary.

There's only so much you can cut back? What part of keeping to a budget is not clear? Take a look around Hearts, Dunfermline, Rangers, etc where such blatant disregard of budgeting and finances have all occurred.

We don't have as much money as we did last year. Our income is dropping. We need to cut costs.

Oh, and you, as chief executive in charge of finances wouldn't have signed the likes of Daley? So, Stuart McCall comes up to you and says that he's found a midfielder that he'd really like to sign to improve the team and you'd turn round and say "Naw, I reckon he's shit. Not that I've ever actually seen him play in the flesh but no, you can't have him." What a way to inspire and motivate your manager.

• Like 1

Fatcalf, you're an old timer like me who has seen it all before at Fir Parkrolleyes.gif.

I agree 100% with you, it's just part of being one of the 'Well faithful and the young posters to this board will soon realise this and in years to come they'll be saying what you & I are saying now.

We always sell our best players but how many times have we really suffered as a result? Trust the manager, support the team (no matter who is wearing the Claret & Amber) and we will have more better times than bad. Losing players is part of the roller coaster journey.

Many 'Well fans have no idea what it feels like to go into the last few games needing to pick up points to avoid relegation, it's a hellish feeling. We haven't been close to that situation for a long time.

I had to wait 34 years for a European tie at Fir Park, now the young ones expect it every season.

Who else in these tight financial times in this league would any 'Well fan swap places with, a Jambo, a Killie, a Hibee?

We would all prefer the good times to continue and keep our best and add to the squad but football life has changed for ever and we've just got to adjust and try to enjoy the changes.

Yes, we'll moan and complain but the panic merchants need to calm down and listen to the 'auld timers'. We may not be correct all the time and always agreed with, however those with experience should be at least heard sometimes.

After typing this and reading it over I realise I sound like my grandad!crazy.gif

But then we've been in this same situation before as well and come up trumps, it's what we do.

Why the fuck do we hear this panic every close season? Have we no faith?

• Like 6

Only misgiving I have on this is the fact I may now have to move seats this season. There's a guy towards the Cooper end of the East Stand who had a habit of shouting "C'mon John Sutton!!" at seemingly random intervals. Having to listen to John Sutton Man as he was dubbed is the only negative I can see here...

Streaky? Aye, but his hottest streak was under McCall. Let's hope that wasn't a coincidence...

Only misgiving I have on this is the fact I may now have to move seats this season. There's a guy towards the Cooper end of the East Stand who had a habit of shouting "C'mon John Sutton!!" at seemingly random intervals. Having to listen to John Sutton Man as he was dubbed is the only negative I can see here...

Streaky? Aye, but his hottest streak was under McCall. Let's hope that wasn't a coincidence...

Could this be the same guy that shouts "smelltic" every few minutes when ever we play Celtic?

Glad to see him back always gives 100% and not to shabby when asked to defend Dont think he got a fair crack of the whip at swinecastle so hopefully he has a point to prove

That bloke had a constant stiffy when Sutton was with us before. Someone better check on him to ensure he hasn't wanked himself to death with the news this morning!

Suttons a decent striker and this is a decent signing.

I've just got a personal twisted aversion to folk who think that hearts are a career progression from the football heaven that isMFC

For me, I've always seen any association with the mob at Swinecastle as being akin to carrying the stain of Satan. Made it hard for me to enjoy Jim Hamilton's goals as much as say, Higdon's. Can always hope that Sutton, like us, gets to enjoy seeing them relegated at end of the season.

Not a Wullie Pettigrew fan, then?

He started with us and, like Stewart McLaren, ended up there, so illogical as it is, I rationalise that one by seeing him and others who make the journey in that direction as being untainted due to prior positive association with the 'Well. Didn't stop me from wanting that lot to lose every single game, even when ex-Well guys were playing with them.

Glad to see Sutton back to replace Higdon. His last 6 months under McCall, he was excellent and if you get the supply into him he's definitely worth 15 goals a season.

I seem to remember he was pretty handy at winning fouls during aerial challenges with defenders too ... Higgy wasn't quite so good at this whistling.gif

We have a decent record of guys coming back to us and performing well so hopefully this is another one to add to the list of Hammell's, Lasley's, O'Donnell's and McFadden's.

Why the change of heart Steve? rolleyes.gif

I don't think the two viewpoints are exclusive ubh.

He's a good player - have always thought that. I enjoyed his first spell here.

I didn't mean he wasn't a good player - I meant that I wasn't fussed about whether we got him back or not due to his meterioric rise after moving on to bigger and better things at car crash riddled to fuck FC

Glad we've been a shoulder for him to cry on though.

Interesting to read Sutton scored 44 goals in 115 games last time. Roughly one goal every two and a half games. Obviously Higdon blew that out of the water in his time here but I suspect that Sutton's average compares well with other strikers' records at Motherwell...

A stiker who left us to go to Hearts for money, comes back as a replacement for the SPL player of the year..... I hope he does well, but he's really going to have to get off to a flyer or the boo boys will be all over him!

and returns earning less than 50% of what he was on at Hearts.

According to twitter he will be signed for less than the wage offered by Hearts earlier this week

Doesn't surprise me at all… guess he realised that short term gain isn't necessarily better than longer term stability after all.

According to twitter he will be signed for less than the wage offered by Hearts earlier this week

That would be good if true.

I have NO issues with him leaving to join Hearts if as was reported he doubled his wages. We are all Well fans, so it was disappointing at the time. But who on here would not move for double their wages - HELLO!

All I remember is how I was hoping he would stay and his goal v St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup semi final - what a belter that was.

Welcome back John. Hope he can pick up where he left off.