2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Sutton has one advantage over Higdon. He's willing to play for us for wages we can afford.

Be as well comparing Sutton to Lewandowski, another player outwith our budget. As soon as Higdon got beyond 20 goals, he was always going to have offers better than we could match. Is Sutton as good as him? Don't have their career stats to hand but pretty sure that Higdon's last two seasons were the best of his career. Prior to that, I suspect if you'd been offered Sutton or Higdon, opinion would have been pretty evenly split...

If speculation is anything to go by this could be next years team - what's your thoughts on this?

NEILSON

RAMSDEN

MCMANUS

HUTCHISON

HAMMELL

LAWSON

VIGURS

LASLEY

AITCHISON

MCFADDEN

SUTTON

SUBS

HOLLIS

KERR

CUMMINS

CARSWELL

FRANCIS-ANGOL

MCHUGH

MOORE

If speculation is anything to go by this could be next years team - what's your thoughts on this?

NEILSON

RAMSDEN

MCMANUS

HUTCHISON

HAMMELL

LAWSON

VIGURS

LASLEY

AITCHISON

MCFADDEN

SUTTON

SUBS

HOLLIS

KERR

CUMMINS

CARSWELL

FRANCIS-ANGOL

MCHUGH

MOORE

who the hell is aitchison? laugh.gif

NEILSON

RAMSDEN

MCMANUS

HUTCHISON

HAMMELL

LAWSON

VIGURS

LASLEY

AITCHISON

MCFADDEN

SUTTON

SUBS

HOLLIS

KERR

CUMMINS

CARSWELL

FRANCIS-ANGOL

MCHUGH

MOORE

That's a best case scenario. And looks impressive. Take out McFadden and McManus (the two we're most likely to get outbid on) and it looks a whole lot weaker.

But I'm pretty relaxed about it. In Vigurs, Sutton and Lawson, we've signed players who'd get in most other SPL sides...

Sutton is a decent signing. Scored at an excellent rate for us (without taking penalties I'm sure) and is still under 30, so hardly past it. He's not going to score as many as Higdon did in his last season, but neither will Higdon.

so what if he left for money? most players leave clubs for money. They can't all move on to being pundits or managers after the age of 35 so I'll forgive them for trying to save a few quid.

I'm curious to see who we bring in who fits the pace requirement. Humphrey thrived under McCall, so it will be interesting to see what he can bring out of a similarly raw player.

not holding my breath for McFadden.

• Like 1

I see jennings has been realesed by coventry http://m.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/798714

I had missed it to be fair but I'm pretty happy with how we've bolstered our midfield tbh. Given our ambition to reduce the wage bill for the coming season, I can't imagine SMC being too likely to call & try and get him back on board.

good signing. sutton will score 15 goals next season no problem. think back to his goals in the win over celtic, the comeback at tynecastle, the cup quarter final at tannadice and the semi, he has the ability and being back at fir park will hopefully revitalize him.

in his two years at hearts he had to deal with paulo sergio who didn't give him a chance and mcglynn who is an utter tool and made those comments about him in a press conference. he should be desperate to get back playing and prove a point, i expect to see a hungry player.

we still need a goalie, a right back not named frazer, a right winger, another striker and probably another attacker who can play wing or up front for a bit of cover. so at least another 5 players and a replacement for hutchy if he goes.

we still need a goalie, a right back not named frazer, a right winger, another striker and probably another attacker who can play wing or up front for a bit of cover. so at least another 5 players and a replacement for hutchy if he goes.

Nae chance we'll see another five signings. Three if we're lucky, more likely two at best, I'd guess. (Though I don't include Faddy in that, if he does decide to re-sign.)

Nae chance we'll see another five signings. Three if we're lucky, more likely two at best, I'd guess. (Though I don't include Faddy in that, if he does decide to re-sign.)

you think we're only going to sign a goalie and one outfielder?

hollis, stewart

hammell, hutchinson, ramsden, zfa, cummins, murray

lasley, carswell, lawson, vigurs,

sutton, mchugh, erwin, moore.

we need another two players just to make up the match day 18 ffs!

you think we're only going to sign a goalie and one outfielder?

I *hope* that's not the case, but I still wouldn't be surprised if we only sign another two players. Personally I don't consider a goalie to be a major priority, but I know others don't share that view :)

I know the budget is being cut again but still expect us to sign at least five players. I figure that Vigurs will be on less than Law was, any keeper may be cheaper than Randolph. If Hateley was one of the higher earners, then it's safe to say that a replacement right back won't be on the same wage. This doesn't mean bringing in sub standard players, just means shopping smart. How much did Ojamaa contribute in comparison to his wage?

Are Erwin and Moore legitimate 1st team prospects, and are they both forwards? What's the consensus on McHugh? Is he going to be a bench player until he leaves?

McHugh has been a bench player for 5 years,Can't believe McCall gave him another contract! Moore & Erwin seem legit prospects but both are only 18 and very raw. Another decent striker (along with 2 wingers,1of which hopefully Faddy) is a must cause even with Sutton,we are extremely short of firepower

Are Erwin and Moore legitimate 1st team prospects, and are they both forwards? What's the consensus on McHugh? Is he going to be a bench player until he leaves?

I was going to answer another post made by someone having 'the fear' because Well would have U/19's on the bench, but may as well use this post to help folk who haven't seen much or anything of the 3 players who have come through from the U/ 20's ( please note, wee bit pedantic but there is a marked difference between the previous U/19 set up and the current U/20's), anyway,

Moore and Erwin are indeed strikers, Moore is a bit of a Dougie Arnott type whilst Erwin is more Adebayor like (not for one minute saying as good or the same but merely offering a similar type player for illustration) Murray is Hutchie like but maybe a bit more skillful but not just as much of a beast.

Erwin and Murray were both close to 1st team run-outs last season but both had lengthy spells out with injuries at the mid way part of the season.

Moore as you are no doubt well aware was loaned to Cowdenbeath and proved a bit of a goalscoring sensation for them.

Erwin and Murray both have international caps and Murray was loaned out to Bellshill Ath Juniors when he was 17, and survived that particular learning curve.

All 3 have potential, no more no less, but are equipped to handle themselves at the top level, whether they can kick on or not is yet to be seen, but only playing 1st team football will give a true indication.

The club has no money and the young guys coming through are the future, hopefully doing a job for the 'Well or in the case of the 3 mentioned doing well enough to attract attention from other sides with money and bringing in a good deal of compensation and a decent fee.

All clubs in Scotland are now 'selling clubs', the only difference is the potential buyers.

• Like 1

McHugh has been a bench player for 5 years,Can't believe McCall gave him another contract! Moore & Erwin seem legit prospects but both are only 18 and very raw. Another decent striker (along with 2 wingers,1of which hopefully Faddy) is a must cause even with Sutton,we are extremely short of firepower

Bob McHugh has started 8 games for Motherwell and scored 6 goals. Around 60 sub appearances, probably totalling around 900 minutes tops (average 15 minutes being generous). Assuming he finished all 8 starts (unlikely), you're looking at 1620 minutes on the field. Averaging a goal every 270 minutes. A goal every three games when not getting a run in the team to build up momentum. Aye, can't see why he got a contract...

We are not a selling club unless we actually get some money in for our 'products' but I'm perfectly happy to give the young lads a chance, no point getting in another striker to limit their opportunities, I'd go with what we have and strengthen elsewhere, hoping obviously the lads swim rather than sink.