Motherwell V Celtic 28/04/13

myteam

The Motherwell support should collectively turn their backs to the pitch whilst this 'guard of honour' is going on. It may be the done thing these days but given Lennon's latest display of 'Celtic petulance' they deserve fuck all.

That's kinda petty and pathetic though and drags us down to their level.

No need for us to be as childish as them.

• Like 2

The Motherwell support should collectively turn their backs to the pitch whilst this 'guard of honour' is going on. It may be the done thing these days but given Lennon's latest display of 'Celtic petulance' they deserve fuck all.

The whole point of this is professional respect, something which Lennon hasn't shown any of, but I haven't seen any of the Celtic players moaning about it...

The fans will no doubt be booing them onto the park anyway!

Lets do what Lennon failed to do. Show some class.

Lets show them we are better than that. Applaud them onto the park and thereafter he and Celtic get it tight for 90 minutes as we roar our team onto hopefully a famous victory.

"Abysmal, abysmal, you are truly abysmal" if Higdon scores!

• Like 2

No, I don't mind the guard of honour thing either. It was well received by the folk at Kilmarnock after they won the League Cup and likewise by the people at Dingwall on opening day too.

It reflects well on us a club and won't have done relations between MFC and those respective clubs any harm as a consequence.

But.....

The important thing to keep in mind though is that as supporters we have absolutely no obligation whatsoever to mark it and can ignore it, turn our backs on it or shout and scream whatever we want at them.

As for the game I would hope given the last game here a few weeks back the team won't be lacking in confidence at facing them. We've illustrated recently that in full flow we are a strong attacking threat so if we can get a good tempo going and take the game to them it there's a chance of a repeat.

That's kinda petty and pathetic though and drags us down to their level.

No need for us to be as childish as them.

Lets do what Lennon failed to do. Show some class.

Lets show them we are better than that. Applaud them onto the park and thereafter he and Celtic get it tight for 90 minutes as we roar our team onto hopefully a famous victory.

"Abysmal, abysmal, you are truly abysmal" if Higdon scores!

Fuck this "don't lower yourselves to their level" nonsense. There are some people who do not deserve any respect shown to them and Neil Lennon is one of them as his latest rant has shown. He and apparantly some of his players are going to boycott a player of the year dinner because they've spat the dummy out about a vote going against them, even though they've won that particular award for the past six or seven years. Where's the 'professional respect' in that?

Respect is something which has to be earned and Lennon hasn't earned himself or his club any.

• Like 3

Where does it end this guard of honour pish?? Do every club that plays these scumbags from now till end of season have to do it?

Surely it should only be done on the day they lift the trophy! Shame on us for doing this after the lurgan bigot disrespecting one of our players.

First team to play the league/cup winning team after the victory....

It's done in most leagues around the world, and again, it's for the players and not Lennon.

Oh the Whataboutery......

I will applaud the Celtic players onto the pitch as a mark of respect for what they have achieved this season as it is the decent thing to do. The same way I applaud an opposing team who score a really good goal against us.

It has nothing to do with respect for Neil Lennon or the Celtic supporters. As soon as that first whistle goes they will get it tight for the lack of class they show repeatedly at football grounds around the country.

Each to their own I guess but try putting the shoe on the other foot and think what you would be saying about Celtic or any other team for that matter if they behaved towards us in a disrepectful manner. You would call them all dicks, and you would be right.

• Like 1

Oh the Whataboutery......

I will applaud the Celtic players onto the pitch as a mark of respect for what they have achieved this season as it is the decent thing to do. The same way I applaud an opposing team who score a really good goal against us.

That does my nut in.

• Like 1

why should we applaud a team as classless as celtic. Think of brown's remarks after the cup final, lennon's comments after we beat them this season the disrespect they have shown the poty nominees.

Lets make it clear from the stands we know what they are

Exactly. And for those who say "it's the players, not Lennon we're applauding" don't kid yourself. Scott Brown has already been ranting about this today on twitter and if Lennon boycotts the ceremony, I hardly think any of his players are going to go against him and attend it.

Celtic are and always have been, but now more so than ever, a classless and downright arrogant bunch who are never done trying to run their mouths off about other clubs, individuals and officials to try and pressurise them to get their own way then spit the dummy out and stamp their feet when they don't get it. In any other country in the world they would be ridiculed but they get away with it here because they've got the media in their back pockets and they won't dare question anything they say for fear of being labelled 'sectarian' in some way or other.

The players will applaud them on Sunday but I won't and I hope, and think, that I won't be alone in that either.

• Like 1

The fact is doing a guard of honour is the done and sporting thing after a team has won a league or cup. So we must do it, why? Because we are a team above all that petty, childish shite. We're better than that.

Lennon has been acting like a petty over-grown child. But see if you've said this AND also said WE shouldn't be doing a guard of honour then you're a fucking hypocrite. You don't act unsporting to someone who is acting unsporting, two wrongs here don't make a right. Maybe some people on here are as pathetic as Lennon but the club is bigger and better than that.

• Like 3

I thought Lennon's ragegasm was hilarious, I cannot imagine being that furious that after a season like they've had, reaching the last 16 in Europe, winning the league and probably winning the Scottish cup that not having other footballers vote for your pals sends you off into an inconsolable fury.

Imagine being that unhappy, all the time?

FWIW, we can do the guard of honour, or not, it makes literally no difference to me. Killie and County seem to like us a lot because we've shown a bit of class and shown their trophy winning teams a bit of respect. I doubt it'll make the blindest bit of difference to a chunk of the Celtic support what we do. We're bigots, we're h**s, we're racists, we're sevco without the bus fare in their eyes, and that'll never change. Again, I can't imagine being that furious about life all the time.

Take the high ground, sink to their level, I'm not that arsed. I would quite like to see Higdon score and wheel towards Lennon, though. He's already one up on that turkey McPake, I could go that again.

To be honest, I'm not so much bothered about the players doing the guard of honour as its the 'done thing' these days but I'll be damned if I'll be applauding them and can fully understand why the majority of the support wouldn't either, firstly because, well lets face it, there's hardly any sort of affinity between the two clubs and with Lennon's rant about the POTY awards then him and his team don't deserve that respect shown toward them. They may have done well in Europe but they have limped over the line in a title race that they and everyone else knew they would win before a ball was even kicked this season and have dropped a ridiculous number of points throughout when you consider the gulf in quality between them and the rest of the SPL, so it's perfectly understandable that other players such as Higdon, Griffiths, McGinn and Shinnie should be up for awards before any of their players.

Lennon is comedy gold. I think the well fans should, in full sarcastic mode, sing "there's only one neil lennon" as they do the guard of honour. He'll know damn fine we're pulling his twanger but he'll not be able to bitch about it to the press so his wee purple face will explode, showering green teeth everywhere.

Plus, there really IS only one Neil Lennon. And he's a c**t.

• Like 1

And again, while the Arsenal players may applaud their Man Utd counterparts, I really cannot see too many, if any Arsenal fans joining in.

This 'Guard of honour' thing is a fairly recent and incredibly fake addition to the game in the UK but while the players reluctantly in some cases participate, the supporters do not, especially when it's a club they in general do not like. That's before you chuck in the manager and captain of said club throwing a tantrum about none of their players being nominated for a POTY award and suggesting that those who have been - including a nominee from the club expected to provide the guard of honour - do not deserve the award.

Like I say, respect is a thing earned, not given and Lennon and Celtic have done nothing to earn respect in this instance.

This 'Guard of honour' thing is a fairly recent and incredibly fake addition to the game in the UK but while the players reluctantly in some cases participate, the supporters do not, especially when it's a club they in general do not like. That's before you chuck in the manager and captain of said club throwing a tantrum about none of their players being nominated for a POTY award and suggesting that those who have been - including a nominee from the club expected to provide the guard of honour - do not deserve the award.

Kind of going away from the topic a little. You could very well argue that both are totally unnecessary but if we're talking recent and fake additions I'd say a once in a blue moon Guard of Honour for when a team has won a trophy is a bit more genuine and relevant than the weekly line up and handshake caper.

Kind of going away from the topic a little. You could very well argue that both are totally unnecessary but if we're talking recent and fake additions I'd say a once in a blue moon Guard of Honour for when a team has won a trophy is a bit more genuine and relevant than the weekly line up and handshake caper.

I completely about the pre match handshakes, it's very pretentious, very 'Americanised' even and there's no need for it. However, again it's the 'done' thing nowadays between both sets of players but I don't remember any occasion where the supporters have joined in with it and that's my point here. We're going to witness our players provide a guard of honour to a team and a manager who has shown nothing but disrespect towards us and so while our players may 'go through the motions' we, as fans do not have to do likewise and should, IMO give them as much 'respect' as they've given us.