This Season

TvTotherwell

Is it just me (probably is) or is anyone else annoyed that we didn't put up more of a fight for the title this year ?

Now I'm in no way knocking the team, the manager or the performances, Looking at our recent form and the season over all, I really think this has been a chance missed this year. At the moment we are the best team in Scotland by a country mile and today's result highlights this even more. We're not gona have a group of players this good again for a long time me thinks.

Thoughts. . . . . .

• Like 1

Is it just me (probably is) or is anyone else annoyed that we didn't put up more of a fight for the title this year ?

Nah. You can sit and play "what if" all day, but for every time we've been unlucky, I dare say something has gone our way as well. And you'd be hard pushed to find another 13 points we "should" have won to put us above Celtic.

This season has brought us Champions League football, a record goalscorer, (probably) our highest league finish in a generation, and the return of Faddy. Just enjoy it!

Nah. You can sit and play "what if" all day, but for every time we've been unlucky, I dare say something has gone our way as well. And you'd be hard pushed to find another 13 points we "should" have won to put us above Celtic.

This season has brought us Champions League football, a record goalscorer, (probably) our highest league finish in a generation, and the return of Faddy. Just enjoy it!

Oh I could find 13 points easy, St MIrren takes care of 5, Parkhead game sees a 6 point swing, Ross County draw and defeat, see!!!!:thumbup:

But for all that, it's unrealistic to expect a team like us to go through a season unbeaten, always going to be some low points, I'm just delighted at the way we bounced back from the Ross County defeat and made our mark thereafter. Outstanding season and more to come I hope. Last wee while has been a brilliant period in the life of our club, hopefully it will last a bitty longerso just enjoy what we have folks.:woop:

I know where you're coming from. But like others, I think Celtic could have stepped it up a bit more as well.

It's been a great season. I remember standing in te East Stand back at the end if the 2006/07 season (I think) when all the empty season books were being lobbed onto te pitch under Malpas. Fast forward 6 years and I we have one of the best Motherwell teams in quite sometime. It's a mad world. Who knows what the futures history holds for us.

We didn't have a team/squad good enough.

If we had kept Jennings and Clancy I reckon there are some early season points dropped we might not have lost otherwise and with Celtic distracted by Europe we might have mounted a 'challenge' but all ifs and buts and on the whole we've had a fantastic season regardless.

Title, no, but our poor showings in the cups were a kicker this year.

Cup finalists this year, with the exception of Celtic, are all bottom six teams that we're better than. Much more annoying.

As far as I'm concerned with one OF team in the league then 2nd = winning the league and with both OF teams in the league then 3rd = winning the league.Reason being we do not have their resources. So as far a I'm concerned we have been champions for the last two seasons.drinks.gif

Oh and I don't know why Clancy would have made any difference - Hibs fan working beside me says they think he's s*ite. LoL.

Has anyone got a link to the table without Celtic and all results against them removed? I remember a while ago there was a link to it here and wondered what it might look like at this stage of the season.

Funny what you say about Clancy. Sutton's time at Hearts hasn't worked out for various reasons. Stephen Hughes at Aberdeen isn't setting the heather on fire. Just shows that, through luck or judgement, we've brought the best out of those players we've had.

And that's what we've done this season. The small squad we have has performed as well as we could have hoped. Have we lost to teams we shouldn't have? Aye, but so have Celtic.

The only 'what if' I have this season is the cups. I reckon if we'd still been in the cup when McFadden arrived, then it could've been our year. He seems to relish the big games. But that may have taken its toll on our league form. So I'll not dwell on that...

Funny what you say about Clancy. Sutton's time at Hearts hasn't worked out for various reasons. Stephen Hughes at Aberdeen isn't setting the heather on fire. Just shows that, through luck or judgement, we've brought the best out of those players we've had.

And that's what we've done this season. The small squad we have has performed as well as we could have hoped. Have we lost to teams we shouldn't have? Aye, but so have Celtic.

The only 'what if' I have this season is the cups. I reckon if we'd still been in the cup when McFadden arrived, then it could've been our year. He seems to relish the big games. But that may have taken its toll on our league form. So I'll not dwell on that...

If my granny had baws dont worry, be happy im just back home in larky and the locals bought me some beers. Double celebrations but only our result matters to me xxxxx

I know what you mean mate but given the size of our squad, consistency was always going to be a problem.

I dont think its any surprise that we struggled early in the season when the schedule was heavy and we are flying now.

I also think us being out of the Scottish Cup has helped our league form.

Loads of great memories this year. Gonna be tough to match it next year given the anticipated turnaround in playing staff.

Has anyone got a link to the table without Celtic and all results against them removed? I remember a while ago there was a link to it here and wondered what it might look like at this stage of the season.

Doesnt really change much from my reckoning:

only the points gaps changes nearer the top as teams that took points off Celtic lose them, whereas at the bottom its mainly GD that improves from teams that were cuffed of them,

table without celtic 280413.jpg

I genuinely believe this was the season to offer the best chance for someone to deny Celtic the league. I actually thought that might have been Hearts, Dundee Utd or hopefully ourselves.

Despite our small squad we came closest ........... and save the loss of some very costly late goals and our mid-season inconsistency, who knows, we may well have been even closer.

Thats not taking anything away from thhe team's achievement.

After today, it has been confirmed that Celtic this year are going to have the lowest points total of any SPL winner in the current format. You'd have got ridiculous odds on that at the start of the season but I think it has come about because Celtic have dicked about at times. They played a much weakened team in many games in the first half of the season when Champions League was ongoing - if they had an inkling someone would have been challenging them they wouldn't have done that and likewise some of the teams they are picking now. We've exceeded all expectations and this team have learnt how to beat teams of a similar ability and that is why we are where we are.

For this season I'm still haunted by the defeat from Hibs after Hamme;lls 'goal' was disallowed.

For my money, this season was all about 2nd to 8th, the battes going on in that area are what really made this league season come alive for me. To be honest I never really paid much attention to celtic and when I did see them they didn't impress me.

In my opinion, Celtic treated the SPL with contempt, they expected to win it without any great effort so they didnt put any effort into it. How can they hold their heads up when they have won the title with the lowes points tally since the SPL's inception and dropped more points than any previous winner of the SPL, and all this in a season without their biggest rivals.

Contemptible scum.

• Like 3