This Season

TvTotherwell

Since the turn of the year, this team has been truly flying. We have been full of creativity, confidence and goals. I didn't think it would be possible, but I believe the last few months have been better than the 6 week showing (November – December) in McGhee's first season.

McCall really needs some credit as well. He has built a team that from middle to front is packed full of entertainment, pace and creativity. Importantly, it looks as though McCall has finally cast aside his old 'lets not get beat when playing a better team' mantra, and recognises the potential this team has. Just sends them out to go about their business. How much I would love to see us get another shot at Rangers and maybe even Panathinikos right now!

As with everyone else, I'm pretty gutted that we have managed to build this team and now we will see it broken up. Fingers crossed everyone we either get a 'well fan winning the lottery or John Boyle still watches the games and wouldn't mind gifting another couple of hundred grand to cover keeping the team for another season.

Lets face it, our form in 2013 has been championship winning form. If we kept that team together could we win the SPL next season? Possibly, but I'm pretty sure we could have a real good tilt at Celtic!

• Like 1

For this season I'm still haunted by the defeat from Hibs after Hamme;lls 'goal' was disallowed.

For my money, this season was all about 2nd to 8th, the battes going on in that area are what really made this league season come alive for me. To be honest I never really paid much attention to celtic and when I did see them they didn't impress me.

In my opinion, Celtic treated the SPL with contempt, they expected to win it without any great effort so they didnt put any effort into it. How can they hold their heads up when they have won the title with the lowes points tally since the SPL's inception and dropped more points than any previous winner of the SPL, and all this in a season without their biggest rivals.

Contemptible scum.

Pretty much agree with that, never contemplated wining the league seriously, more interested in winning 'our' league and in that respect a job extremely well done.

As with everyone else, I'm pretty gutted that we have managed to build this team and now we will see it broken up. Fingers crossed everyone we either get a 'well fan winning the lottery or John Boyle still watches the games and wouldn't mind gifting another couple of hundred grand to cover keeping the team for another season.

Read somewhere (Herald, I think) our wage bill is £3.5m, gift away.

Read somewhere (Herald, I think) our wage bill is £3.5m, gift away.

Im sure I read on here that at one of the 'well society meetings the fans were told the wage bill was cut to £28k per week for the current season. If true then thats £1.4m per year. Still needs a good war chest however to top it up right enough.

Also, my point was not that JB or a lottery winner would fund the whole wage bill, just the excess required ontop of our budget to keep the team.

Dreaming I know.......

aye am ragging, put a tenner on us at the start of the season

poor show from us, yea sure you can say we had a good away record or whatever but honesty we just underperformed at home :ph34r:

but seriously every team that enters the league should be aiming to win it(no matter there budget) otherwise it's sort of a pointless tournament isn't it, that's why cups are good.. well no for us but other teams :laugh: also why they really need to change things imo, just make it at the end of the season the top 4 no matter how many points they have play a tournament style semi-final then final :cheers:

I feared the worst when we didn't replace Jennings and Clancy. All expectations have been exceeded by some distance.

Never have I seen a Motherwell team dish out so many hammerings in a season.

Such a shame this squad won't represent us in Europe.

Jennings was a good player but I never thought he was going to be a huge lose. He was basically a tackler, there wasn't much more to his game, he didn't really offer anything in an offensive or creative sense.

You can say we've not been as convincing defensively this season and no doubt some of that is down to missing Jennings in the middle but we have been a much better team to watch this season than last season, noticeably more attacking and creative and have much better options going forward.

Having Nicky Law next to Lasley has moved us up to a different level.

I think a play off type scenario is the only way that the other teams can really challenge Celtic for the title. Over the long haul, injuries, suspensions and fatigue just take their toll on the clubs and celtics greater resources win out in the end.

Perhaps they should split the league after 2 rounds then zero the points and have 2 mini leagues of home and away but that would only total 32 games.

But if there was someway to help close the gap between Celtic and the others the league would be much more exciting.

What's that I hear you say? "fairer distribution of prize money"

Over to parkhead for an answer on that one.

In my opinion, Celtic treated the SPL with contempt, they expected to win it without any great effort so they didnt put any effort into it. How can they hold their heads up when they have won the title with the lowes points tally since the SPL's inception and dropped more points than any previous winner of the SPL, and all this in a season without their biggest rivals.

We have a better points tally against the top six than Celtic do, so against the better teams we were the top dogs.

Celtic won the league by putting the poorer teams away. They won 14 out of 18 against the bottom six. We drew far too many matches against the lower sides, 7 in total.

I don't think we were far away though. If we could keep this team and added maybe a quality right back and centre back and maybe bring in a central midfielder to augment Law/Lasley I think we could actually challenge.

Sadly, that's not going to happen.

Im sure I read on here that at one of the 'well society meetings the fans were told the wage bill was cut to £28k per week for the current season. If true then thats £1.4m per year. Still needs a good war chest however to top it up right enough.

Aye thats about right. £3.5m is near enough our turnover at last accounts. Sure I heard £1.6m pa for wages (£32k pw) compared to Celtics £14m pa wage bill!

I wouldn't want to have someone come in and just go stupid with money but it would be good to have a benefactor who could help augment the coffers so that we could keep the likes of Higdon faddy etc not go out and buy a team. Or perhaps a benefactor to provide a specific amount of cash per home game to allow the club to reduce entrance price and help encourage folks back to the terracings. ( is it still called that? )

A combination of keeping a good core together and playing attractive soccer coupled with reduced prices might help halt the downward spiral and start to help us get bigger crowds again. Mission impossible I know.

So do we know any rich actors, musicians, reputable business men ( or women ) with some cash to write off? I'll keep buying the lotto tickets!