European Tour 2013

Spiderpig

Now that we are sure of our European place and hoping for a Celtic Cup win, to get us into EL 3rd Qualifying it seems the time to get the Euro thread started for this year. In recent years our participation in Europe has become a very regular event, but i for one don't think that its enough now, i would like to see us take the next step and get to the group stages, but given the challenges that SMC will have to keep the bulk of the current squad in place, that might be a step too far. Thoughts and comments please.

Kirky said yesterday (in the Centenary) that we were hoping for a Celtic cup win...........but are we?

The players hope so, but as a fan I would like Hibs to win as we would then go into the 2nd qualifying round and probably be seeded. No guarantee we would win, but gives us a much better chance of at least 2 home games/rounds in Europe.

Kirky said yesterday (in the Centenary) that we were hoping for a Celtic cup win...........but are we?

The players hope so, but as a fan I would like Hibs to win as we would then go into the 2nd qualifying round and probably be seeded. No guarantee we would win, but gives us a much better chance of at least 2 home games/rounds in Europe.

Yeah, I'm very much in this boat as well. A Hibs cup win gives us a game as a seeded team, letting up play our way in against some utter diddy. We've yet to be troubled in a game where we've been seeded, and I can't see why that would stop now.

Two home gates, two trips, four games, minimum in that case then.

Plus it'd be good to laugh at Celtic giving Hibs the chance to break their 111 year Scottish cup drought, that'd be a laugh.

I mentioned entry into the EL 3rd qualifying, only as a more fitting reward for the efforts of the team over a 38 game season rather than starting at a lower round because another team gets lucky and does well in 3 games( i.e Hibs beating Aberdeen, Killie and Falkirk (just) to get to Europe). But from the Motherwell point of view i would rather we started in round 2, being seeded and winning some games as this boosts the club and countrys co-efficient, which may get us to a point where we are seeded in later rounds.

Kirky seemed to be quite positive that's where we'd like to enter.

I can see both sides of this.

From our side, we'd like the extra round for the sake of getting a chance to travel to a couple of places. From the clubs though maybe that extra couple of weeks could help settle in the new players a little more.

I'd love us to get a tie in the 3rd qualifier that at least gives us a chance of qualification or a tie against a big club to encourage a big crowd.

I'd love us to get a tie in the 3rd qualifier that at least gives us a chance of qualification or a tie against a big club to encourage a big crowd.

The problem is though, with the seedings we're only going to be against a big club. We've been pretty lucky in previous years, relatively, but the clubs we've drawn when unseeded have all absolutely dwarfed us. Even Odense, who we really should've beaten are in a different league in terms of resources, selling players for a couple of million and spending half a million on players each summer. Those are resources we can only dream of having.

The chances of us drawing a team that are beatable are slim to none, unfortunately, and it seems a bit defeatist to say that, but unfortunately it's the reality at the moment. Teams like Saint-Etienne and Swansea are in the QR3, and even if we managed to scrape through that, we end up in the playoff round with teams like Feyenoord, Braga and (probably) Spurs, Fiorentina and Betis..

I really don't mean to put a dampener on things, but at least if we go in at QR2, we can pull out someone like Breidablik again (Who might just scrape a seeding in QR1, but not in 2), go and beat them, and improve our co-efficient again. It's unlikely that we'd ever get to the point of being seeded in the later rounds of qualification, but every little helps..

The seeding system doesn't really do us any favours at all, frankly, so in short, I'm all for QR2, getting a decent win somewhere pleasant, then drawing someone that'll bring us a big crowd in.

Ehhh, possibly. QR2 lends itself to ridiculous places due to the level of teams involved in it. I think they group teams on a vague geographic basis, but I can't really remember.

Qualified teams.

We'd avoid Israel due to seeding, you'd imagine, but not Georgia, Bosnia or Serbia. Or any of the Faroese/Moldovan/Andorran anomalies that scrape through QR1. So yeah, just about anywhere.

It's all kind of wishful thinking though, as Hibs have 111 year history of being shite in the Scottish Cup behind them, regardless of how good/bad/indifferent Celtic are, so realistically we're looking at QR 3. I'd hope for Belgium and probably Zulte Waregem in QR3, mainly for ease of travel and that I like beer. Maybe they're shite as well, I've no idea, I'm not really au fait with Belgian fitba. Avoiding the Ukraine would be nice, Russia and Switzerland too.

Last year when we had the possibility of Brugge, would have been tremendous. Easy to get to, safe, better club than us but not liable to get horsed off them

I know it would be mission impossible but I'de love to see reactions both downsouth and the media and other detractors in Scotland were we to spank an EPL team! Sadly we'd need this current team to stick together and have two games of their lifes

I agree. Fuck the Tims and it'll give us a better chance of more than 1 opponent.

Wigan would be good only for the numbers that would go, would be some party!

Would be happy with it for that reason but would prefer to be heading to a country I've never visited I think.

Wouldn't mind Israel to be honest.

EDIT: Above posts probably rule out Wigan, but hopefully not..........

Edited by NottsMFC

Think it'd be too hot in July/Aug, after Athens I would much prefer somewhere a lot cooler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nod:

Hadn't taken the weather into consideration, Athens was a tad too hot!

Like a bit of sun though so maybe not a lot cooler cool.gif

I'd prefer the earlier round, where we might be seeded, and get a couple of competitive games, and hopefully victories under our belt before we face a tougher side.

Especially with it likely to be a new look side.

I'm with you, I want to play as many European games as possible and the earlier we go in the more chance we have of progressing through some rounds against realistically beatable teams.

The only concern is if a lot of the out of contract players do leave we could be quite short going into the early matches in much the same way we were against Llanelli.