European Tour 2013

Spiderpig

I had a great time in Nancy and would be delighted to be drawn with a French team.

I stayed in Nice for Scotland v Estonia game after the no-show and it was great. Train journey all the way from Motherwell was monumental - I'd go for EasyJet this time!

Lille is a lot closer and driveable but is supposed to be a hole although I'm sure the same travel writers haven't been anywhere near Motherwell.

If we are in round 2 we will be somewhere between ranking 17 and 27 of the teams in that draw making us comfortably one of the top 40 seeds

In round 3 there are at least 29 teams ranked ahead of us already which confirms we would be a non seeded team

Not quite true, there are 31 teams just now who would be seeded above us (this could rise to 43 depending on leagues which are not yet finished).

Only 13 teams that automatically qualify for round 3 are seeded above us (could rise to 16)

But as the 3rd round draw is on a different date to rounds 1&2 there will be no "carrying over" of seedings for lower ranked teams who beat seeded teams in round 2.

We could end up in a position where any 3 of the 18 higher ranked teams losing their round 2 tie could boost Motherwell into the seeded pot for round 3, not impossible.

(In the worst case scenario we would need 14 out of 28 teams to lose their round 2 ties, closer to impossible)

Sorry HanoMaSano

Draw for Round 1 and 2 on 24th June with ties on 18th and 25th July

Draw for Round 3 on 19th July so seeding from round 2 IS carried over as Round 2 will not be completed before draw so seeding level will be highest seeded team. Only hope would be that the 3 high seeded teams in round 1 get knocked out or the team we get drawn against is an either or with the seed being knocked out.

3 round 1 teams ranked higher than us (need all to be knocked out by minnows) 15 round 2 teams already ranked higher than us with possibly 7 more 13 Round 3 teams already ranked higher with possibly 2 more.

With that scenario we are already 29th out of 58 and need none of the 9 unknown teams to be ranked higher than us . Therefore we will be Unseeded

Sorry HanoMaSano

Draw for Round 3 on 19th July so seeding from round 2 IS carried over as Round 2 will not be completed before draw so seeding level will be highest seeded team. Only hope would be that the 3 high seeded teams in round 1 get knocked out or the team we get drawn against is an either or with the seed being knocked out.

3 round 1 teams ranked higher than us (need all to be knocked out by minnows) 15 round 2 teams already ranked higher than us with possibly 7 more 13 Round 3 teams already ranked higher with possibly 2 more.

With that scenario we are already 29th out of 58 and need none of the 9 unknown teams to be ranked higher than us . Therefore we will be Unseeded

Its all getting far too complicated, Can we not just wait till the draw, my head is getting sore now :blink:

Given the luck we usually have in European or cup draws it will be the furthest away and hardest to get to place in the draw..so Donetsk seems favourite :nod:

Indeed, Germany, France, Wales, Scandinavia and Athens were all the furthest and hardest places to go. I mean, I had to take a flight to some of them!

The only challenging one was Albania. Or, I presume, Katowice, but even that would be a piece of pish just now.

Don't talk pish.

Sorry HanoMaSano

Ah, I do apologise, I never noticed that the draw for 3rd round was actually before the second leg of the 2nd round.

In this case you are right and seedings would be carried forward from round 2 (but not round 1).

What odds you think you would get on NONE of the 12 potential higher placed teams qualifying AND Rosenborg, MSK Zilina and CSKA Sofia all getting knocked out by total minnows in round 1, leaving Motherwell to scrape into 29th place and the very final seeding position in round 3! :thumbup:

Although our team co-efficient has increased year on year our national co-efficient has decreased and other countries and teams are now above us as their co-efficient has increased by more

Current we are ranked 198th in European football with a co-efficient of 7.038 this means that 197 teams are higher ranked and will be seeded above us. As a lot of these teams qualify annually and start in earlier rounds therefore winning their ties and increasing their co-efficient they leapfrog us and will be seeded before us. We really need to win a tie again which will generally add about 0.25 to your co-efficient for subsequent years

Also in the last few years we have had 5 qualifiers all getting pumped out early apart from Celtic and the old Rangers. Now we are down to 4 the co-efficient added will increase by 20% to each team in europe this year giving a bigger boost to each team qualifying this year.

Bet you're glad you asked now Motherwell89

Just out of interest how did we end up seeded last time in the 3rd round? surely we should be round about the same area!

The coefficient required for seeding in each round will vary a fair amount depending on which teams have qualified, last season the seeding was from 9.566 - 104.996, our coefficient is 7.038, which would be good enough some seasons but not this year it would seem.

A few more lower ranked qualifiers from some leagues and we could have been in with a shout.

Bit harsh

Probs, but the endless, 'well that's the Motherwell way' patter on here is chronic.

'Ex-players always score against us'

'We always give teams on a bad run a break'

'Always doing it the hard way'

etc. etc.

Apologies, but its a) pish, b) boring.

we're gonna just need to go on a run and win it so it's more simplified for the future, nothing else for it

Now a possibility that the winner will automatically qualify for next years Champions League if UEFA make the change in time. So yeah would be a good time to win it :lol:

Would take Brugge right now!

Decent European pedigree but not totally unbeatable, fantastic place to visit, not too expensive and loads of ways to get there. Wont be 40'C either!