European Tour 2013

Spiderpig

Very decent deal stalker,

I think we are roughly the same price

Bus >Manchester > Moscow > Krasnodar

Krasnodar > Moscow > London > Bus.

How many fans are expecting to visit motherwell?

Seen a link to the green mile forum last week can't find it again, anyone do the favour please?

I've missed all the pre-season friendlies but the common theme from just about everyone seems to be we are sadly lacking in pace and width. 2 of the things that have made us so good the past 2 seasons.

I think we'll get gubbed over the 2 legs but Europe for me is the (dubious in this case due to logistics) reward for having a fantastic season previously. I'd rather avoid a Hibs-esque result all the same.

We don't have the resources to make a stab at Europe so as long as we take points against Aberdeen and Hibs in the opening 2 games that's the priority for me.

Looking forward to getting back to Fir Park, but a bit apprehensive about seeing this brand new team.

I've missed all the pre-season friendlies but the common theme from just about everyone seems to be we are sadly lacking in pace and width. 2 of the things that have made us so good the past 2 seasons.

I think we'll get gubbed over the 2 legs but Europe for me is the (dubious in this case due to logistics) reward for having a fantastic season previously. I'd rather avoid a Hibs-esque result all the same.

We don't have the resources to make a stab at Europe so as long as we take points against Aberdeen and Hibs in the opening 2 games that's the priority for me.

Looking forward to getting back to Fir Park, but a bit apprehensive about seeing this brand new team.

Aye, having watched 'Well all preseason I'm not too optimistic about Thursday. Sutton is not a reliable outball at the moment, struggles to take it in and hold it up and seems to struggle to win a header. Faddy will need to be a lot sharper. ZFA provides an outlet on the flank with a bit of pace and he seems to be a very willing runner which will probably be invaluable for carrying the ball up the flank and relieving a bit of pressure.

All we can ask is for the players to give it their all which I have no doubts about. A draw would be a fantastic result, a win would be something special. Decent crowd should provide the atmosphere these nights deserve :)

Sutton won more headers than he lost yesterday and Faddy will get sharper as he gets games. Remember he has 1 less game than a lot of the first team.

I am cautiously optimistic for the European game. We look a better defending team now in my opinion which is only a good thing. Zfa, Vigurs and Faddy will be our creators this year

I am cautiously optimistic for the European game. We look a better defending team now in my opinion which is only a good thing. Zfa, Vigurs and Faddy will be our creators this year

Really?

I personally think there's a whole lot more bedding in to be done before I would have any confidence in saying that. On the evidence of the Newcastle and Nottingham games I'd say our defensive solidity was fragile at best for several fairly lengthy spells in each.

New first choice goalkeeper, central-defensive partnership and Ramsden at right-back means a back-line that's very much in its infancy and one I don't think we'll see the best of for a wee bit yet.

• Like 1

Really?

I personally think there's a whole lot more bedding in to be done before I would have any confidence in saying that. On the evidence of the Newcastle and Nottingham games I'd say our defensive solidity was fragile at best for several fairly lengthy spells in each.

New first choice goalkeeper, central-defensive partnership and Ramsden at right-back means a back-line that's very much in its infancy and one I don't think we'll see the best of for a wee bit yet.

Not sure if this is the right place, but on the subject of first choice goalkeeper. Do people think its Hollis or Gunnar between the posts on Thursday?

Given team selection last night, it would indicate Hollis. Personally, I would hope it's not. But two home pre season games, two starts, and the final one being the best part of 70 mins behind what seems to be the first pick defence all points to that.

Though maybe that was McCall trying to confuse the Russians, though I doubt it.

Not sure if this is the right place, but on the subject of first choice goalkeeper. Do people think its Hollis or Gunnar between the posts on Thursday?

Given team selection last night, it would indicate Hollis. Personally, I would hope it's not. But two home pre season games, two starts, and the final one being the best part of 70 mins behind what seems to be the first pick defence all points to that.

Agree that I think it's going to be Hollis! Is it what I want/prefer, nope he doesn't fill me with confidence at all! I hope Gunnar is our no1, for no other reason than he is bigger and stronger looking! If its Hollis then fair play, all the best and fingers/ toes crossed.

Very decent deal stalker,

I think we are roughly the same price

Bus >Manchester > Moscow > Krasnodar

Krasnodar > Moscow > London > Bus.

How many fans are expecting to visit motherwell?

Seen a link to the green mile forum last week can't find it again, anyone do the favour please?

About 30-40 fans will take the charter flight 07/31. The rest will come on the 08/01 I hope the number will be around 50.

About 30-40 fans will take the charter flight 07/31. The rest will come on the 08/01 I hope the number will be around 50.

It's a shame that more can't make it due to distance/expense/visas etc. - and that goes for our guys heading to Russia too. Still, will be a great adventure for both sets of fans that travel and I hope the trip will be remembered fondly in years to come.

Unfortunately this year were moving from the best keeper in the entire country to 2 keepers as shit as each other, both in their mid to late 20's with a combined total of less than 30 first team games between them. I hope Gunnar is number 1 simply due to him not being a midget and hopefully less of a bombscare than Hollis but at the moment it looks like Hollis the man....... until he makes a c**t of it and has to be replaced

Gunnar is an established International who has been on the books of Blackburn and Man City (where he was given a contract extension). I'd like to know how you came to the conclusion he's shit? He had a stormer down in Morecambe by all accounts as well.

We're Motherwell and we've been spoiled with Ruddy and Randolph but a bit of perspective is needed mate

Established international for the Faroes. Early days but he was far from convincing at Morecambe.

I dont think Nielsen was signed as back up for Hollis, he will be the 1st choice going forward. After Thursday when the real ganes start is the time to judge them.

Established international for the Faroes. Early days but he was far from convincing at Morecambe.

I was not at the game, but it appears from comments/twitters he made a number of good saves. So I am surprised to read the comments above.

I hope and pray that Gunnar is better than Hollis, otherwise we are going to drop more points this season than previous ones with Ruddy and Randolph in between the sticks.

I'd say the 70 mins on Friday was just SMc being nice to hollis, I'd much rather see Neilsen in goals than hollis, hell I'd even rather see Stevie Woods between the sticks than Neilsen, hope we drop from 2 up top to a 4231...

Neilsen

Ramsden, hutch, mick, hammell

Las, carswell

Faddy, vigurs, ZFA

Sutton

In all fairness, as much as I hate one striker, did the team formerly known as Rangers FC not reach the UEFA Cup final by using 1 striker, defending their arse off and then leaving it late to knock a goal in?

If they can do it, we can do it, especially given they used Daniel Cousin heavily for that European campaign!

SIWY

...I think we'll get gubbed over the 2 legs but Europe for me is the (dubious in this case due to logistics) reward for having a fantastic season previously. I'd rather avoid a Hibs-esque result all the same.

We don't have the resources to make a stab at Europe so as long as we take points against Aberdeen and Hibs in the opening 2 games that's the priority for me...

Stuart McCall stuck around as he has unfinished business with Motherwell; to win a cup and make group stages in Europe. He has already said he will sacrafice the early league games if it means we go further in Europe, so thats the managers priorities!

No doubt McCalls attitude and approach to Europe is very different this year.

Last year we were almost apologising for gaining a shot at a CL qualifier whereas the noises coming out of FP this summer are far more positive.

Sounds like Kuban are going to be far too good for us but with experience like McManus and McFadden and a more solid looking midfield, we are much better equipped to grind out a backs against the wall 1-0 than previous seasons.

• Like 1

I dont think Nielsen was signed as back up for Hollis, he will be the 1st choice going forward. After Thursday when the real ganes start is the time to judge them.

The goalkeeping situation has got Stevie Woods vs. Scott Howie written all over it...Howie turned out to be the number 1 in the long run, but had to wait til Woods made enough mistakes. Long run here I think Gunnar is the No.1 but may have to bide his time.

No doubt McCalls attitude and approach to Europe is very different this year.

Last year we were almost apologising for gaining a shot at a CL qualifier whereas the noises coming out of FP this summer are far more positive.

Sounds like Kuban are going to be far too good for us but with experience like McManus and McFadden and a more solid looking midfield, we are much better equipped to grind out a backs against the wall 1-0 than previous seasons.

100% agree with this