European Tour 2013

Spiderpig

It's not just about the money though if you look at the bigger picture. Being in Europe is a carrot to attract/keep players at the club and players with European experience should then be able to be sold for a higher fee later on. (except if you play for Motherwell then you get sold for 2 packets of salt n vinegar & a bottle of buckie)

Today the St.Johnstone chairman was very downbeat over the financial side of qualifying for Europe. Last year it cost them £110,000 to for the plane and they only earned £90,000 from the round. A £20,000 loss for being successful, makes you wonder if Europe is financially the best thing for the smaller teams.

What a Muppet that boy is. I take it they let in the 6000 St J fans for free when they played the Turkish side?

It is maybe not as lucrative as we would all like, but we had a combined 15000+ from the 2 ties. For the flights, they were also sold to fans which would have kept the costs down. I am quite sure the club made a minimum £250k from our participation last season.

Plus there is an outside chance like Hearts you draw a glamour team. If spurs or Liverpool had come to First Park it would have been a sell out.

It's not just about the money though if you look at the bigger picture. Being in Europe is a carrot to attract/keep players at the club

You'd hope, but I haven't really seen much evidence of that in recent years, at least in terms of keeping players. We've probably been a victim of our own success in that regard; anyone in or around the first team has already been there, done that in the Europa League, and of course a good few now even have Champions League experience.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not excited about Europe at all due to all the good players leaving.

Too early for me to be worrying about it either way, really. We don't know who (else) is leaving, we don't know who's coming in, and we don't know who we'll be playing. A few weeks without fitba', one half-decent signing and an attractive draw and I'm sure we'll all be gagging for it :)

A few weeks without fitba', one half-decent signing and an attractive draw and I'm sure we'll all be gagging for it :)

Pretty much. I'm looking at my football season starting on the 11th of July this year, with a trip to an Andorran team's EL 1st round qualifier.

Sooo, 6 weeks without football? About 8/10 before ones that matter? Could probably just about manage that...

1369042925[/url]' post='383298']

I presume the draw will start to take shape after next weekend when we know where we will be starting and most leagues are finished?

I won't be allowed to the away leg this year, but still looking forward to the euro adventure!

Medical reasons or Mammy won't let you go, or travel injunction?

Think all the Q'fying games should be regionalised. Divide Europe into 4 sections, a natural split would be the former iron curtain for east/west then north/south could follow the Pyranees along the Alps across the top of Croatia Serbia Romania and Moldova to the Black Sea.

So that would pretty much mean we'd be UK/Ireland/Scandinavia/Low Countries/France/Germany/Switzerland/Luxemburg until the Group Stages --- which would be a lot fairer on Clubs and fans.

• Like 2

Some of the seeded teams we could face in the 3rd qualifying round:

Would take Swansea, Brugge, Udinese, Stuttgart or Vitesse. Not Dnipro :mellow:

CC: 42.82922px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Club Brugge CC: 36.880

• 22px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Beşiktaş CC: 34.900
  • 22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Saint-Étienne CC: 26.800
  • 22px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk CC: 23.951
  • 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Swansea City CC: 16.592
  • 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Eintracht Frankfurt or StuttgartNote GER
  • 22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Estoril or Vitória de GuimarãesNote POR
  • 22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Vitesse CC: 9.945

Some of the seeded teams we could face in the 3rd qualifying round:

Would take Swansea, Brugge, Udinese, Stuttgart or Vitesse. Not Dnipro :mellow:

CC: 42.82922px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Club Brugge CC: 36.880

• 22px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Beşiktaş CC: 34.900
  • 22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Saint-Étienne CC: 26.800
  • 22px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk CC: 23.951
  • 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Swansea City CC: 16.592
  • 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Eintracht Frankfurt or StuttgartNote GER
  • 22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Estoril or Vitória de GuimarãesNote POR
  • 22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Vitesse CC: 9.945

•  

St Etienne can still qualify for the champions league, between them, Lyon & Lille going into the last round of fixtures.

Was there in 98 at World Cup, enjoyed the place but obviously not the result!

For me a team from another country to tick off the list. One that was glamorous and accessible would be even better.

So Italy, Portugal or Belgium for example :cheers:

The best away days are where we have taken a decent away support. So Finland + Reykyavik were enjoyable, but not as good as Athens, Nancy or Odense.

1369077888[/url]' post='383385']

Baby due 2 weeks before 2nd qualifying round.

(I'm working on James if its a boy!)

Should be fine for the 3rd qualifying round tho, young James will be sleeping through the night by then surely.

France is a big no no for me, after nancy.

What was wrong with Nancy? I had a great time!

...aside from that fencepost falling off the lorry on the motorway. My heavy para was not helped by this.

I really enjoyed Nancy.

To be fair I was in the home end so missed the shenanigans that went on at the end. I'm guessing that's what's putting you off.

I enjoyed Nancy too, although being kept in for the length of time we were post match was excessive imho.

I was in St Etienne for Scotland's RWC match with Portugal in 2007. The city is very pro-Scottish after St Etienne's EC Final at Hampden. Think there's a pub/hotel called The Glasgow Bar or something like that. Fly to Lyon and 45mins in double decker train to St Etienne and a cracking stadium too. Dont fancy Swansea much, doubt we'd stand a chance against an EPL side.

After tonights European league matches the picture has become a bit clearer regarding seedings in round 2 & 3 of the europa league.

If we are in round 2 we will be somewhere between ranking 17 and 27 of the teams in that draw making us comfortably one of the top 40 seeds

In round 3 there are at least 29 teams ranked ahead of us already which confirms we would be a non seeded team

It is difficult to predict possible opponents in round 2 as both round 1 and round 2 are drawn together on 24th of june. Dates however are the 18th and 25th of July

However seeded teams already qualified for round 3 are Udinese, Bruge, Swansea, Bursaspor, Metalurg Donetsk.

In Germany the same situation arises as our own cup final . If Bayern win the German cup then Stuttgart are in round 3 if stuttgart win it will be Eintracht Frankfurt as possible opponents.

In Spain it will be whoever finishes 7th in the league one of Malaga, Real Betis or Rayo VallecanoI.

In Portugal if Benfica win the cup it will be Vitoria Guimaraes if not it will be Estoril

In France it is likely to be St Etienne although it could conceivably be Lille or Nice

The draw for round 3 is on July 19th with games on August the 1st and 8th

By sunday evening we will know which round we will be in and more of the leagues will be completed. Tune in for next weeks update. help.gif

• Like 4