European Tour 2013

Spiderpig

Having 2 teams from opposite ends of Europe drawn together in the Pre-Qualifying stages - thus throwing the financial and logistical hurdles in our path at what I consider to be an unacceptable stage in the tournament.

Got to agree with all of that..Uefa opened up the tournament to include nation not even in Europe, ie Georgia,Israel ffs in the pursuit of more cash, tv deals etc. Its nonsense that teams like Motherwell are being financially challenged just to get to a game. Back in May when we tied up second place in the SPL every Motherwell fan was excited at the prospect of another European adventure..now after the boot in the baws that was the draw probably only a dozen will get there (decorator and his camera crew).. Is that a fitting reward for runners up spot, i think not.

That's the luck of the draw. It's no different to being "fortunate" or "unfortunate" enough to get Hamilton Accies or Wick Academy in the Scottish Cup.

Take it for what it is and enjoy the opportunity to cross swords with an opponent we'll almost certainly never meet again and a country we might never play in for years. And for the folk fortunate enough to be able to go to these places savour experiences that'll live with them for all their lives.

That's the luck of the draw. It's no different to being "fortunate" or "unfortunate" enough to get Hamilton Accies or Wick Academy in the Scottish Cup.

Take it for what it is and enjoy the opportunity to cross swords with an opponent we'll almost certainly never meet again and a country we might never play in for years. And for the folk fortunate enough to be able to go to these places savour experiences that'll live with them for all their lives.

The only positive aspect of this draw was that it was a team from another country to tick off the list. Apart from that is was utter garbage and a huge let down, Sure those that go will have a great time and I am sure the locals will welcome Well fans as a bit of a novelty, but.....

The club will probably make little or no money

Very few fans will get to go to the away leg

They are or appear to be a very decent team but with no glamour to attract a large home crowd or neutrals

Apart from Dortmund, Pana and maybe S Bucharest the draws have been a let down.

We would have taken over a 1000 to at least a dozen other teams like Seville, Brugge, Utrecht....etc

A well not to be - just need to win the tie or finish in Europe again next season as Cup winners :-)

Right......

I was in Morecambe at the weekend and had all but ruled out Russia trip. I was treating our day by the seaside as my own little Euro tour.

However.......

I heard someone talk about options of getting there.....is driving a real possibility? how bad can it be?!

Google maps says 45hours drive............ I beleive there may very well be a bus going!

The other option is to drive mid europe and fly direct.....any one any thoughts on this?

Like others I have a second glimmer of hope and now no longer ruled it out

You won't be allowed to take a hire car over, if you take your own, if any documents are not in order, you will not be allowed to cross. Even if you did manage to get your car across expect border crossings to be about 4 hours.

Not sure there are many flights form Mainland Europe. I checked the airport webpage and there is a flight from Vienna if I remember, next best is St Petersbug.

Fly out Wednesday morning from Gatwick via Domodedovo airport in Moscow, staying at Hilton Garden Inn just so it looks good on visa application. As self employed had to supply last 90 days bank account transactions, ex-wife's and dead parents details. Pay the extra and get an agency to do it for you. Coming back early Friday morning, flights were £440.

• Like 1

Fly out Wednesday morning from Gatwick via Domodedovo airport in Moscow, staying at Hilton Garden Inn just so it looks good on visa application. As self employed had to supply last 90 days bank account transactions, ex-wife's and dead parents details. Pay the extra and get an agency to do it for you. Coming back early Friday morning, flights were £440.

It will make sod all difference what hotel your staying in for the visa application. You do know you've picked a hotel in the North of the city when Domodedovo is South of the city? It will be a bit of a treck from airport to the hotel.

The dream would far outway the reality. The most practical route would probably be through the Ukraine which would be several excrutiating border crossings, the roads themselves are nothing like we have at home and the driving at times insane.

Getting over the border with a car is near impossible. I've have been knocked back as one of the documents authorising me to drive the car had a spelling mistake on it once. The route for most stolen cars from the EU is to Russia and the Ukraine, so car hire firms won't allow it and the checks are stringent.

Just fly, its simpler, easier and give you more time in Russia, which is a great country with great people.

Also, most road signs will be in Cyrillc, which, although piss easy to read, if you don't understand Cyrillc, your pretty fucked.

The dream would far outway the reality. The most practical route would probably be through the Ukraine which would be several excrutiating border crossings, the roads themselves are nothing like we have at home and the driving at times insane.

Getting over the border with a car is near impossible. I've have been knocked back as one of the documents authorising me to drive the car had a spelling mistake on it once. The route for most stolen cars from the EU is to Russia and the Ukraine, so car hire firms won't allow it and the checks are stringent.

Just fly, its simpler, easier and give you more time in Russia, which is a great country with great people.

Also, most road signs will be in Cyrillc, which, although piss easy to read, if you don't understand Cyrillc, your pretty fucked.

Thanks to the Schengen agreement you'd only need to stop for border crossings when entering the Ukraine and Russia. A decent Satnav should reduce the need to rely on road signs too.

You'd still need to be aff yer heid to consider such a journey though.

:lol: Useful knowledge Andy, not that I was going to try it anyway, but useful! Long road trips always sound good, but in reality the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Driving from Dundee to Benicassim, for example, makes a good story, but was ultimately, dull, and probably stupidly dangerous given how long we drove for.

I once got a bus from London to Glasgow and I can confirm it was up their with some of the worst experiences of my life. Not helped by the fact we had two drunk Celtic fans on the bus coming back from a european game who decided to start smoking in the bus while on the motorway. The hitler driving the bus proceeded to pull into the hard shoulder and chucked them off. Told them there was a service station 5 miles back at Milton Keynes!!

I always wonder what happened to those two!

• Like 5

Running a bus or driving to these places sounds like a good idea when you are pished, only 48 hrs according to Google maps, straight road etc, nae bother but you would need to be Feckin mental to attempt it :nod: Remember the bus to Katowice in 91 for Motherwells first European adventure, 3 days to get there 10 mins before the Final whistle !!!

Sadly can't make the trip as I've just bought a house and will be skint but had a look out of interest and reckon you could do all travel including visa for about 700 bucks each if there's 2 of you going.

- Manchester to Moscow return with Easyjet is about £190 going Wed to Sun

- Flights from Moscow to Krasnodar return about the same.

- Petrol + parking + overnight at Manchester airport would work out about £80 each

- Visa is apparently about £80 each

- 4 nights hotel could easily be done for £150 each

Really wish I could go now!

No BO on a bus like this.

Been trying to get one of these booked but unfortunately they all either say no flat out when we tell them its for football or for insurance purposes they can only take us as far as Ukraine.

That'd be epic! :lol:

Have you tried Beatthestreet? it's who we use for festival and event stuff.

Just tell em you've got a gig on in Krasnodar ;o)

http://beatthestreet.net

That'd be epic! :lol:

Have you tried Beatthestreet? it's who we use for festival and event stuff.

Just tell em you've got a gig on in Krasnodar ;o)

http://beatthestreet.net

Beat the street were the first to tell us to bolt :lol:

Just tried to call that other one B.K posted but it rang out. I'll try them again later.

• Like 1

Thanks to the Schengen agreement you'd only need to stop for border crossings when entering the Ukraine and Russia. A decent Satnav should reduce the need to rely on road signs too.

You'd still need to be aff yer heid to consider such a journey though.

Funnily, I'm well aware of that and was referring to the crossings into Ukraine and Russia specifically, which would be circa about 4 hours and your car paperwork would need to be perfect.

Funnily, I'm well aware of that and was referring to the crossings into Ukraine and Russia specifically, which would be circa about 4 hours and your car paperwork would need to be perfect.

What about a tour bus? What specifically would we need? Got one company now who are willing to give us a quote.