European Tour 2013

Spiderpig

Probably in a minority of one, but I hate the Champs Lge money making exercise. Much preferred the excitement of the old Cup.

I think most of us are in that camp (or most of the auld ones at least). It didn't seem to do the big clubs any harm and made for a much better competition.

I love watching the Champions League as a spectacle but you have to be very naïve to realise that it is what making the rich get richer and the poor get poorer across football. It forces teams to chase a dream that is unrealistic (e.g. Rangers) and basically the top few are pulling away from the rest and as they get more powerful the rest of us are left to feed off the scraps being dropped from the table. Thing is Europe is getting smaller and only a few countries would have caused us this logistical nightmare. Because the strength of Europe is in the West regionalising it would only lessen teams like ours' chances of qualifying more and more. Aye we got a shiter this time but over the piece I'm willing to take my chances.

Speaking of cheating Motherwell need to get this tie Done Over with and in the bag on or turf.

If we go there with an even 2 goal lead the ref will have bin bought.

Its mafia country and im sure all the Krasnodar fans on here have been great and I do look forward to meeting them but they (their management) have previous with this.

They should start by prioritising CL group stage places to league winners and letting the also-rans from England, Spain etc fight out the qualifiers.

Doing that would make the competition worse.The teams that finish 4th in Spain and England are better than all but about 6 league winners.They should do away with seeding and country protection from the group stages, at least give a lesser team a chance of getting a lucky run and making the later rounds.

The Champions League is as boring as bat shit. It's the same teams playing each other every year and cancelling each other out. Time to get an open draw back get some of the big teams knocked out early by bigger teams & get some Pingu Utd's into the later stages so they can get humped & we see loads of goals instead of the 1-0 borefests we get just now.

Look at St Johnstone they will get to the play off stage in the EL thanks to being seeds against an even diddier team so if they get a lucky draw in the play offs they get to the EL group stages. How UEFA must be shittin themselves about that as no money to made from St Johnstone.

The St Johnstone thing sums up the whole problem with the seeding arrangement. They win a tie against a pretty poor seeded team & they become seeds themselves and get paired against a minnow with a great chance of getting to the play offs whereas Motherwell with a far better Euro coefficient are not seeded & as such get paired against a team that will more than likely pump them. How can that be classed as fair when our efforts last year far exceeded St Johnstone's?

I dislike UEFA and FIFA intensely. All the major developments in the game over the last 20 years have all been about hoovering up money. coefficients, seedings... The main way to do that is to ensure that all the big teams / countries get to the latter stages of the tournaments, where the TV money is. World Cup in Qatar is a another example of how it's all about the dough rather than the sport.

As much as I'd love it if they went back to a proper champions tournament, open draws etc, it ain't going to happen. The thing that irritates me most about it is that 9 times out of 10 the big teams / countries will get to the latter stages anyway, but UEFA / FIFA are not even prepared to take that risk.

Anyway, something that may help a little bit in cases like ours (expensive trip to Russia resulting in a wee club losing money) would be to distribute the crumbs from the rich man's table according to distance. E.g if the average for the 3rd round is 100k then if the trip is

Let's keep in mind though the only reason the Champions League and Europa League are in their current forms is because UEFA are absolutely shit scared of the biggest clubs leaving them to form to a European Super League.

And whilst that threat remains, however slight, there's not the remotest possibility of UEFA doing anything that may increase that desire.

If we beat Kuban, will we be seeded for the playoff?

No we wont, and StJ wont be either if they get through. In our case a lot of the seeded teams will need to get knocked out this round (q3) for us to move up, not impossible but unlikely

I see they have sold one of their better players for £8m. We sold one of our better players for £300,000. A slight gulf in quality methinks.

I doubt it will make a big difference, but you never know.

I would like us to get through as we all would but I would certainly like us not to lose both ties.

To think ST J have not lost a home tie in Europe from 7 games. Our home record is not so clever....

oping for at least a goal to celebrate this year. last year - against teams which I expect will be similar in quality to this mob - we didn't look like causing them much trouble nevermind scoring, so I'd like to see a more attacking style and a goal at least.

I'm yet to see us score a goal in Europe! Ive not been able to make all the european games due to work but I've made Nancy, Llanelli, Odense, Pana and Levante all at home where there's not been a sniff of a goal!

Hoping this Thursday changes my horrible home European record!

As long as we put in a performance (eg Pana and Odense at home) I'll happily accept whatever result comes our way. On our budget we have no right to expect to go far in Europe especially now that the competitions are rigged, but it is nice to dream, and if we play well and get a few breaks who knows. COYW!

1374914949[/url]' post='390813']

I see they have sold one of their better players for £8m. We sold one of our better players for £300,000. A slight gulf in quality methinks.

I doubt it will make a big difference, but you never know.

Flow told me they had earmarked the guy they just sold as Kubans best player. So I'd say that's a great boost. In terms of fees etc, well we beat a team last season (twice & should have been thrice) that sold players for £12m & £5m this summer. Make of that what you will.

If they can afford to give each club £10mil for qualifying for the CL group stages they should fuckin well see that clubs like us at least break even over the qualifying rounds.

I'd like to think the Club and/or Well Society and/or the SFA will make representation to UEFA. Where' the fux the incentive to participate/represent your Country in european events if you are going to lose money.

Probably in a minority of one, but I hate the Champs Lge money making exercise. Much preferred the excitement of the old Cup.

Don't watch it, simply awash with pre-madonnas drama queens and cheats.

For those of us not making the away leg how do we keep up to date with what's happening? Will it just be updates via twitter? :(

I'm sure we'll hear more near the time, but ideally it would be wonderful were a Russian network to pick up the game and we'd get a feed of it, that said I'm not holding my breath since Krasnodor aren't a big name Russian team. Otherwise, I fear it'll be twitter updates.

As long as we put in a performance (eg Pana and Odense at home) I'll happily accept whatever result comes our way. On our budget we have no right to expect to go far in Europe especially now that the competitions are rigged, but it is nice to dream, and if we play well and get a few breaks who knows. COYW!

I'd like to think we'll put in a decent shift but this team are comfortably streets ahead of both Pana and Levante. We'll be doing exceptionally well to avoid a Hibs type scoreline.

• Like 1

I'd like to think we'll put in a decent shift but this team are comfortably streets ahead of both Pana and Levante. We'll be doing exceptionally well to avoid a Hibs type scoreline.

Really? I watched them against Tomsk and they were a good team but hardly an all conquering footballing juggernaut.

When Tomsk put them under pressure they folded a bit and Tomsk were newly promoted into the league and pretty much 'poor relations'.

We will need to play at a high standard to get a result but it's hardly impossible and predicting a humiliating result is a bit daft in my opinion.

Levante lost narrowly last season to Rubin Kazan in extra time who have a much better European pedigree than Kuban.

DosserJoe makes an excellent point in relation to the 2 transfers that Celtic made this year for a combined £17m....

As for the above post. It is a bit if a guess as is Bop, but I see them as being on a par with Pana, but that in itself is a huge challenge given we lost 5-0 in aggregate to them...

After 3 games they currently sit second in the Russian top league with 1 win and 2 draws, the last being against Zenit St Petersburg.

As long as we give it our all on Thursday and are still in the tie then I will be happy..

We can't cope with teams who move the ball around quickly on the deck at the edge of the box and look for little through balls in behind. I'd love to be wrong but I think we're in for a roasting, they start well and we seem to be starting poorly. I think we'll be 2 down within 20 minutes and its tie over.

• Like 1