European Tour 2013

Spiderpig

...................................... The Odense and Steaua games had top moments in the away games, with Hateley's goal and Ruddy's save. Even Nancy saw us keep it tight away and Graeme Smith's penalty save was mental. Gies another one of them, last year didn't have them

Good points Graeme. We can play as much fancy football and dominate games all we like, (Dortmund for example), but its the game events --- goals, pen saves --- that I enjoyed the most and will remember longest. That and march to stadiums and a right good old sing-song party with fellow Well fans.

Highlights:- Katowice - getting there, albeit with only 10mins to go.

Dortmund - Yellow Submarine.

Utrecht - Amsterdam's Red Light District.

Nancy - the march and Buzz's pen save.

Odense - Tom's goal.

Panathanshitos - Tuesday night in the Wee Dram.

I krave a decent draw and being able to go and krave even more getting something memorable on the pitch.

I wasn't in Nancy, so wasn't able to savour the pre-match atmosphere or the pre-match booze.

So bearing that in mind, I have to say that the team's performance that day was very poor and big let down after the build up. McGhee set up a very strange formation (especially as we had a team that was built to attack), and the players struggled to string 2 passes together. I don't even think we managed a shot.

I have enjoyed plenty of big time occasions with the club, and am not taking a pop at any one. It was a great achievement and an exciting time. As an anti-climax though, it ranks up beside the CIS Cup Final for me.

Definitely a case of "you had to be there".

Definitely a case of "you had to be there".

either that or replicate the experience by drinking beer and singing well songs fully clothed while getting soaked in your shower for a few hours before walking round the block a few times before putting the game on.

great day!

We are in the 3rd qualifying round.

We need to win this tie AND the 4th qualifying round (play off round) to get into the group stages.

If we get a decent draw the first one is possible, the second part is a HUGE ask.

I wasn't in Nancy, so wasn't able to savour the pre-match atmosphere or the pre-match booze....

I was, drove in and out in a day, booze definitely changed the perception of the match because everyone came back thinking we had a chance :rolleyes: we were dragged all over the park and but for Buzz having the game of his life we'd have been pumped.

So even if you were there, you had to be melted or arrived hours before kick off.

We are in the 3rd qualifying round.

We need to win this tie AND the 4th qualifying round (play off round) to get into the group stages.

If we get a decent draw the first one is possible, the second part is a HUGE ask.

Agree with that getting to the play off round is possible with a favourable draw..but getting through another 2 games against a potentialy stronger team to make the group stages will be a big ask.

However that said on our day we are good so never say never and if we can keep the likes of Faddy, Higdon, Humphrey and Ojamma we will be contenders in every game

I was, drove in and out in a day, booze definitely changed the perception of the match because everyone came back thinking we had a chance :rolleyes: we were dragged all over the park and but for Buzz having the game of his life we'd have been pumped.

So even if you were there, you had to be melted or arrived hours before kick off.

One of the highlights was the queue for the beer van, before everyone realised it was 0.5%, and they were simultaneously launched. :lol:

Not meaning to kill anyone who wasn't there's buzz, but Nancy was special, I've done Breidablik and Athens as well, but nothing was as daft as Nancy. Everyone has a story to tell from Nancy, none of them the same, all of them brilliant.

I was in the Nancy end next to our fans and saw possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen when some young ned stood up and proudly announced "this Sans alcohol stuff is great,I'm fuckin meltit" before getting told to "sit the fuck down ya tit,sans means alcohol free"

Not meaning to kill anyone who wasn't there's buzz, but Nancy was special, I've done Breidablik and Athens as well, but nothing was as daft as Nancy. Everyone has a story to tell from Nancy, none of them the same, all of them brilliant.

Tend to agree. Had a great time in Athens but Nancy being a small city with one square made it perfect for us, coupled with the fact it's not too far away and it was our first Euro trip in 12 years meant almost everyone was there.

I don't mean to court controversy but I also think it being the game we earned in the season we lost Uncle Phil added a bit of emotion to the whole experience that couldn't possibly be replicated.

To be fair, it was the nicest tasting beer the whole time I was in France. Had a ball right enough, if the same support had made it to Bucharest it would have made for an interesting trip...

Not quite getting the dislike of Athens by some, plenty I know who were there put it up with their best trips - another memorable one for me.

Not quite getting the dislike of Athens by some, plenty I know who were there put it up with their best trips - another memorable one for me.

Didnt go to Athens, but the irony of folk from Motherwell, bellshill, Wishaw... claiming Athens was a shithole made me chuckle!

• Like 1

"Seeded teams

Does that mean, hypothetically, that if Hibs (who are unseeded) played one of these teams and won...........mean that they are seeded for the next draw??

Kind of.

The draw for our round is before the completion of the previous round.

So "Winner of Rubin Kazan vs Hibs" would assume Rubin Kazan's seeding in round 3 draw.

If Hibs were then to win the tie, the draw would have aready been done so they would be playing an unseeded side.

Didnt go to Athens, but the irony of folk from Motherwell, bellshill, Wishaw... claiming Athens was a shithole made me chuckle!

That'll be why. It was mankier that Motherwell, Bellshill or Wishaw, with the exception of the Acropolis, being in the Olympic Stadium (Note, not 'around', or 'near' or 'walking up the dual carriageway to get back'), the sunshine and the rooftop bar at the hotel, I'd rather have spent two days in Motherwell. It was a complete dive, the stadium was pretty pish for being an olympic stadium, as you were miles and miles from anywhere useful, and the whole area around the stadium was murky as fuck.

Athens was a dive of a place. At least in Motherwell, Wishaw, Bellshill etc the junkies give you the courtesy of shooting up in alleys or somewhere else a little more private. In Athens you had to put up with watching people shoot up while you were waiting on a bus in the afternoon. There were also a crazy amount of stray dogs which often followed you about.

For me, Athens was a great trip and a great experience, due to the fact it was a trip to see Motherwell in the Champion's League and I got a good booze with my mates, but I would never return for something that wasn't football!

In terms of putting up a fight in Europe, we probably are victims of our own success in that department. The European jaunts under Brown and Gannon were a result of finishing fifth and through fair play, so we entered early on and faced lesser opposition. Although getting beaten by the margins we did last season wasn't great but there was no shame in it. I'd probably say getting beat 1-0 off Llanelli at home was far worse than a 0-5 aggregate against Panathanaikos.

Odense will always be the biggest missed opportunity for me. Realistically, that is probably the closest we'll get to the group stage. As far as I can remember, I watched that draw and thought we had got the least reputable team in that pot. I'm sure we could have got Villareal or Man City so Odense gave us a good chance. They weren't much better than us in either leg and I only wonder what would have happened had Murphy not missed his penalty and the other chance which sticks out for me- one where Blackman weakly headed straight at the keeper when he had time to bring the ball down, smoke a cigar and put it in.

That'll be why. It was mankier that Motherwell, Bellshill or Wishaw, with the exception of the Acropolis, being in the Olympic Stadium (Note, not 'around', or 'near' or 'walking up the dual carriageway to get back'), the sunshine and the rooftop bar at the hotel, I'd rather have spent two days in Motherwell. It was a complete dive, the stadium was pretty pish for being an olympic stadium, as you were miles and miles from anywhere useful, and the whole area around the stadium was murky as fuck.

ON another note, why does our club have to jump through hoops to meet UEFA guidelines all over the shop and they get away with such piss poor conditions inside the stadium for a Champions League game? Catering non-existant, portaloos wi' nae lights, Seats wi' nae backs (one of the problems we have in the Main Stand apparently which is why the wings aren't used in European games.) Blatant double standards to me. Steep steps are a danger tae drunken visiting fans as well :whistling:

• Like 1

would it be do able to take the seats out the main stand that we cant use and replace them with ones out the south for european games,a full main stand would be far better than spaces at either end

would it be do able to take the seats out the main stand that we cant use and replace them with ones out the south for european games,a full main stand would be far better than spaces at either end

Point is we shouldn't have to, Olympic stadiums seats had no backs yet are deemed good enough to use, why not ours?