European Tour 2013

Spiderpig

Point is we shouldn't have to, Olympic stadiums seats had no backs yet are deemed good enough to use, why not ours?

It was also deemed safe enough for us to sit in seats with no backs at Levante and I'm not aware of injuries occurring because of it. The concrete floor below the stand was up and down all over the place and you definitely wouldn't have got away with that here.

Athens is a terrible example of what austerity does to a community. They have nothing. This is what they are turning to now.

Sisa Drug

:lol: My pal filmed that, true story.

Its the grimmest of the grim stories, I thought that we saw grim when we were there, but the chat he had about it was absolutely horrific.

Point is we shouldn't have to, Olympic stadiums seats had no backs yet are deemed good enough to use, why not ours?

Because Matt (and don't quote me) we are eligble through the SFA/SPL and they have signed up to one of the tougher levels of UEFA participation/groups. i.e seats have to be quilted and warmed to 20 C. Food must inlcude beluga caviar and forest truffles.

Whereas Pana and Steaua did not because there associations are not tied into a similar committment/level. I am sure there is good reason for this. For me I cannot see it - as these countries get the same number of clubs if not more so than we do here in the UK/Scotland. Perhaps it is expected of us..:mellow:

As for our chances in the Europa. With the team we finished the season with - I would have been confident of giving anyone a game and some teams confident of getting through (lower seeded sides like Estoril). But with an entirely new team - who knows. Not so confident at all.

Remember folks at 37+ co-efficient points Celtic would be ranked 3rd or 4th top seeds in the 3rd qualifying round....did we not just beat them twice in a row :thumbup:

Because Matt (and don't quote me) we are eligble through the SFA/SPL and they have signed up to one of the tougher levels of UEFA participation/groups. i.e seats have to be quilted and warmed to 20 C. Food must inlcude beluga caviar and forest truffles.

Whereas Pana and Steaua did not because there associations are not tied into a similar committment/level. I am sure there is good reason for this. For me I cannot see it - as these countries get the same number of clubs if not more so than we do here in the UK/Scotland. Perhaps it is expected of us..:mellow:

As for our chances in the Europa. With the team we finished the season with - I would have been confident of giving anyone a game and some teams confident of getting through (lower seeded sides like Estoril). But with an entirely new team - who knows. Not so confident at all.

Remember folks at 37+ co-efficient points Celtic would be ranked 3rd or 4th top seeds in the 3rd qualifying round....did we not just beat them twice in a row :thumbup:

Don't doubt what you're saying but it would seem bonkers if we have to adhere to stricter standards than Spanish clubs.

ON another note, why does our club have to jump through hoops to meet UEFA guidelines all over the shop and they get away with such piss poor conditions inside the stadium for a Champions League game? Catering non-existant, portaloos wi' nae lights, Seats wi' nae backs (one of the problems we have in the Main Stand apparently which is why the wings aren't used in European games.) Blatant double standards to me. Steep steps are a danger tae drunken visiting fans as well :whistling:

I agree with that one fatcalf the stadium was a shit hole and they stairs were a headache. :wallbash:

The great thing for me is when I was following the Well in my teens, the best we got was the Texaco cup.

We could only dream of getting to Europe so regularly

Now I have been to Nancy, Odense and Athens every one of them brilliant on different levels.

I thought they were all great places to visit and I loved the weather in Athens.

To meet up with fellow Well fans abroad is absolutely brilliant and I have had some great times. :drinks:

I hope we get a beatable team within a close travelling distance and I'll be there again.

F#ck it, if I can get to it I'll be there.. :thumbup:

(there's not many parts of Europe I didn't visit on my way back from Odense0. :whistling:

I've followed Motherwell to 6 different continental stadiums, none of which offer fan comfort and/or facilities to rival the Cooper or South Stands at FP. Don't think any of them even had pop-up seats.

As a very young youngster I loved reading about ancient Greek history. Shame modern Athens is an overpopulated, polluted and unbearably hot furnace of a shitehole. The Olympic stadium is a concrete and plastic monstrosity, so far out of town it might as well have been in Turkey. No proper toilets and one gypo with a pallet of water meant we were treated with utter contempt and thats before mentioning 1 riot cop each !!!!

Nice hotel, great roof pool and views ------ but £8 for a vodka n coke :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: and sun screen was extra !

Sounds as if somebody wishes he had slummed it with rest of the plebs and not paid the inflated charter charge set by the club... Stayed at the Hilton myself even the Israeli president and his entourage were staying there whilst visiting the Greeks in parliament at Syntagma.

As has been mentioned, the city is paying the price of austerity. Was an attempt made to venture that little bit further into the downtown city centre rather than the confines of the clubs' chosen residence or an attempt at a Scottish bar? Taxis were as inexpensive as you find in most of mainland Europe...

Plenty of fun to be had, choice of restaurants offering local produce, ethnic cuisine and bar prices that were often less, but, no more than back home. Just had to embrace it. Sitting amongst many friends and some family with the backdrop of the monuments of the Acropolis and Temple of Zeus illuminated in the night sky was the stuff of legend and a memory I'll likely never forget.

Yes, the facilities in what was the centre of the sporting empire in 2004 left a lot to be desired, did anybody expect the authorities to react any differently? All part of the adventure I'm afraid.

Only downside for me was the usual beauts clad in tartan. Seriously? 40 odd degree heat and done up like that - would have been better getting wrapped in bacofoil.

i liked athens as well.

as onthefringes says the area with all the bars and restaurants down near the acropolis was ideal and well priced for food and drink, the rooftop bar lots of well fans were in was superb. we found a decent beach as well with loungers, parasols and a bird bringing over cold beer.

there were a few dodgy characters about but you get that in barcelona, paris and elsewhere it's part and parcel of a big city.

the distance between the centre and the stadium isn't any different than from the centre of london to wembley.

i liked athens as well.

as onthefringes says the area with all the bars and restaurants down near the acropolis was ideal and well priced for food and drink, the rooftop bar lots of well fans were in was superb. we found a decent beach as well with loungers, parasols and a bird bringing over cold beer.

there were a few dodgy characters about but you get that in barcelona, paris and elsewhere it's part and parcel of a big city.

the distance between the centre and the stadium isn't any different than from the centre of london to wembley.

why did i miss all this :rolleyes:

as somebody thats done all the euro trips[think its only 2 people]im just glad ive got another shot next season :nod:

Sounds as if somebody wishes he had slummed it with rest of the plebs and not paid the inflated charter charge set by the club... Stayed at the Hilton myself even the Israeli president and his entourage were staying there whilst visiting the Greeks in parliament at Syntagma.

As has been mentioned, the city is paying the price of austerity. Was an attempt made to venture that little bit further into the downtown city centre rather than the confines of the clubs' chosen residence or an attempt at a Scottish bar? Taxis were as inexpensive as you find in most of mainland Europe...

Plenty of fun to be had, choice of restaurants offering local produce, ethnic cuisine and bar prices that were often less, but, no more than back home. Just had to embrace it. Sitting amongst many friends and some family with the backdrop of the monuments of the Acropolis and Temple of Zeus illuminated in the night sky was the stuff of legend and a memory I'll likely never forget.

Yes, the facilities in what was the centre of the sporting empire in 2004 left a lot to be desired, did anybody expect the authorities to react any differently? All part of the adventure I'm afraid.

Only downside for me was the usual beauts clad in tartan. Seriously? 40 odd degree heat and done up like that - would have been better getting wrapped in bacofoil.

no kilts in albania :lol:

Latest list of probable seeds for round 3 - still another half dozen to be confirmed:

Rubin Kazan

Standard Liege

Udinese

Club Brugge

Hapoel Tel-Aviv

AS Saint-Etienne

Lech Poznan

Trabzonspor

AaB Aalborg

Anorthosis Famagusta

Rosenborg BK

FC Zurich

Swansea City

MSK Zilina

BursasporFC

Utrecht

Maccabi Haifa

Metalurg Donetsk

Levski Sofia

Estoril Praia

Omonia Nicosia

Chernomorets Odesa

Rapid Vienna added to this list now.

We'll know about Spanish, German and Czech additions tomorrow.

Athens was brilliant! It was a shithole, but Motherwell isn't exactly Monte Carlo either.

The private beach with bar, complete with some stunner bringing drinks to your loungers was the tits.

+1. Total dive but that night down the back of the Acropolis, meeting a few of the boys from gate 13 and spending the night with the wolfman is up there with any other euro trip i've been on.

.............................. Only downside for me was the usual beauts clad in tartan. Seriously? 40 odd degree heat and done up like that - would have been better getting wrapped in bacofoil.

Hey, you wear what you want and I'll wear what I want. A kilt offers excellent ventilation in all weathers. Besides, it facilitates the evacuation of sweat rather than have it congregate in yer Aquascutum underpants :nod:

Vitesse for me, or is that a bridge too far :whistling:

I would however prefer to know our opponents at the time of draw on the 19th, rather than be dealt an "either or" and have to wait till the 25th for the outcome .... which could leave us with 5 days to organise and get there :wallbash: