European Tour 2013

Spiderpig

Yep. Split into 5 groups of ten or twelve teams with an even mix of seeds/non seeds. Don't know if details of the groupings is announced before the draw date. Seem to recall it was maybe a day or two before draw but could be wrong on that one.

Not Rubin Kazan. It might prove easiest to get to for me but they are shit-hot at times. (That bar steward Eremenko always scores against the Blue Bayern that are Dynamo Moscow.)

Nobody (Pie excepted) in Katowice? Town appeared to have only two bars - in one of them you could only by a minimum of two 2L steins of beer at a time - while the tourist notice board listed the local attractions: a half-day trip to the salt mines or a day outing to Auschwitz.

Hotel was hoochin' wi' whores tae.

Not Rubin Kazan. It might prove easiest to get to for me but they are shit-hot at times. (That bar steward Eremenko always scores against the Blue Bayern that are Dynamo Moscow.)

Nobody (Pie excepted) in Katowice? Town appeared to have only two bars - in one of them you could only by a minimum of two 2L steins of beer at a time - while the tourist notice board listed the local attractions: a half-day trip to the salt mines or a day outing to Auschwitz.

Hotel was hoochin' wi' whores tae.

hotel diamond was the hookers den :nod:

Tonight the final teams will be known after the final round of the Greek playoffs. Once we know exactly which number we will be in the seeding order i will try and make a guess at possible draw groups. However due to the requirement of avoiding the possibility of any club drawing another of the same country there are unknown UEFA 'swaps' which cannot be predicted.

With 58 teams in the 3rd round draw there will be one group of 10 and 4 groups of 12 . There will be the 3 scottish teams who will have to be in 3 seperate groups for the draw process and this will be repeated with all countries with multiple representatives. This makes the 3rd round very much a lottery of either or but it should be slighty easier to predict round 2 possibilities for Hibs and St Johnstone.

It may end up total nonsense but Uefa do have a baseline strategy for predicting the groups for each draw and i will give it a go later.

I took a guess at last year's draw based on previous years' setup but UEFA changed it to a completely random mix of seeds and non-seeds.

And they didn't announce it until minutes before the draw.

It's impossible to 2nd guess them these days.

• Like 1

Ok here goes.

As far as is made out UEFA try to do a pattern to match the seeds and the non seeds in each round to allow each group to be formed. This is complicated by the fact that the the third round is drawn before the 2nd round is completed and there can be numerous 'swaps' to avoid any chance of 2 teams from the same country being drawn together or two teams from the same country being in the same group.

Basic principles for each round are the teams form a snake-like pattern to place the teams in each group and then any teams who may be drawn against a team from the same country are swapped along the same row with a team of similar ability to prevent this . So in round 3 the pattern is:

1. 2. 3. 4. 510 9. 8. 7. 611 12 13 14 1520 19 18 17 1621 22 23 24 25 29 28 27 26 30 31 32 3338 37 36 35 3439 40 41 42 4348 47 46 45 4449 50 51 52 5358 57 56 55 54

Motherwell would be team number 40 which would mean we would be team 8 on section 2 of the draw. This would mean our seeded teams would be

Rubin Kazan, St Etienne, Aalborg, Fc Utrecht, Metalurg Donetsk and Dvsc Dubrechen.

Now this is just hypothetical as already there is aproblem in round 2 as hibs are team 48 and St johnstone are team 64 which would put both Scottish teams in pot 1 using this method and one would need to swap.

However it is a starting point and I suspect the seeds would change very little with the non seeded teams being swapped around

Its a bitnof aguessing game but i will put my predictions of the seeded pots when i have more time.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons I make the seeds in our pot:

VfB Stuttgart

Lech Poznan

Trabzonspor

Maccabi Haifa

Rapid Wien

DVSC Debrecen

As ekwellfan says, it a guessing game.

We both agree on Debrecen, who are the lowest ranked of all the seeds . But then, so were Nancy, back in the day, albeit a round further on.

Perhaps UEFA will release details before the draw which will make it easier to predict our pot.

As much as Scooojy and Ekwellfan have put a lot of effort into analysing the EL draw between the 2 of them we now have potentially 12 different opponents FFS !!! Lets just wait till the draw is made then we can talk about where we are going.

oops sorry the table didn'y format right and I didn't check when I was in a hurry

So basically i make the seeded pots (not much different to scoojy)

Pot 1 Stuttgart, Lech Poznan, Trabonspor, Macaibi Haifa, Rapid Wien

Pot 2 Rubin Kazan, St Etienne, AA Aalborg, Fc Utrecht , Metalurgs Donetsk, DVSC Debrechen

Pot 3 Seville,Sparta Praha, Anorthosis Famagusta,Bursaspor, Levski Sofia, Vitesse Arnhem

Pot 4 Standard Liege, Hapoel Tel Aviv, Rosenborg, MSK Zilina,Estoril Chernomerets

Pot 5 Udinese, Brugge, FC Zurich, Swansea, Sturm Graz, Omonia Nicosia

If these are indeed how the seeds work out then my preference would be one of the non seeds in pot 5. With both Hibs and St Johnstone beinfg represented in the third round as an Either or tie then we could be prevented from being a non seed in any pot that could conceivably gives us a chance of drawing them eg if hibs draw AAb Aaalburg in round 2 then we could not be a non seed in pot 2 for round 3.

I know that there are a lot of variables but its great fun to guess and keeps the excitement up until the actual draw next month

As much as Scooojy and Ekwellfan have put a lot of effort into analysing the EL draw between the 2 of them we now have potentially 12 different opponents FFS !!! Lets just wait till the draw is made then we can talk about where we are going.

Mind, even when the draw is made we'll still have a choice of 2! laugh.gif

Just a bit of fun for us saddos. I've promised myself since the Nancy draw that I wouldn't be drawn in to it but can't help myself. rolleyes.gif

This is like fucking quantum physics.

What ever was wrong with pulling names oot a hat.

FIFA, UEFA and the rest of the corrupt wanks can just fuck off with their organised cheating.

Am inclined to agree with this.

However, if the seed pots turn out as detailed above there are at least 2 attractive, (and by that I mean: feasible, attendible, accessible, etcible), in each pot.

Put us in a pot with Vitesse, Brugge, Estoril, St Etienne, Utrecht and Liege and I'll be delighted :thumbup: and going :cheers:

No logic behind it at all, but would really fancy either a Dutch or Belgian team this time round. Would also quite enjoy a wee trip to Switzerland or Austria. Hopefully we get somewhere that's not too expensive to reach and not full of total psychos.

Isn't this fun. Better than working.

For what it's worth and given that all seeds get through to the third round my calculation is

Motherwell unseeded in pot 4 with the seeded teams being Standard Liege, St Etienne, Rosenborg, Utrecht, Estoril and Debrechen. France or Belgium would be my choice but not really a bad pairing if it works out like I think.

Am inclined to agree with this.

However, if the seed pots turn out as detailed above there are at least 2 attractive, (and by that I mean: feasible, attendible, accessible, etcible), in each pot.

Put us in a pot with Vitesse, Brugge, Estoril, St Etienne, Utrecht and Liege and I'll be delighted :thumbup: and going :cheers:

Me too :thumbup::cheers:

P.S. Any place we go to will be full of psychos when we get there. :whistling: