Mccall

Squirrelhumper

No news tonight good doesn't seem to be as 1 horse a race as the papers say or there are contract negotiation problems with compo etc. I really hope he stays and chooses euro football and being based in Scotland for the assistant job BUT what I hope for most is if he goes we stick with going for a manager from left field like has worked so well for us in the past and not who the press think we should go for. Also if he does go its with a heavy heart but best wishes.

I've a sneaky wee feeling SMc might just stay at Well!!

No reason to think it just a hunch!!!

Im hoping the same, maybe clutching at straws but my reasoning is.... Law said he spoke to McCall this morning. If McCall was away would he have told his boy Law to hang fire and see if he could get a shift to Shef Utd?

As i said, clutching at straws. I'll probably wake up in the morning and find he's long gone

1369435637[/url]' post='384087']

Im hoping the same, maybe clutching at straws but my reasoning is.... Law said he spoke to McCall this morning. If McCall was away would he have told his boy Law to hang fire and see if he could get a shift to Shef Utd?

As i said, clutching at straws. I'll probably wake up in the morning and find he's long gone

Maybe he didnt fancy a move to Sheffield and thought oh fuck I better sign for any team before McCall persuades me to go to Sheffield!

1369437511[/url]' post='384091']

Maybe he didnt fancy a move to Sheffield and thought oh fuck I better sign for any team before McCall persuades me to go to Sheffield!

Well, he did at Christmas... Texting friends in Rotherham 'going back to Blades' yes.gif

Aye wi' Tommy's team he was unbeatable almost, then he thought he'd better start doing something and it all fell apart. Wee Dougie once told me McLeish didnae need a team talk, the team just knew they were better than the other side, "if they scored 2 we'd score 3" were his words I seem to recall :thumbup:

• Like 2

One thing I find striking throughout this thread is that no one has said anything bad about McCall or not wished him well if he does move on. Considering that some were up in arms at his appointment, I feel this shows that the guy has a certain class that many wouldn't have associated with him prior to his arrival at Motherwell.

Anyone else struggling to maintain the 'best of luck' line here?

I agree mccall has brought us some success in terms of league placings and has been a great fit in terms of our community drive and so forth - he's a decent, genuine and honest guy - but the timing of this couldn't be worse. He is leaving a vastly inferior squad to the one he took over. Isn't that how managers ask to be judged?

Last year, I think most of the support were behind the decisions taken not to punt our players with only one year left on their contracts, not because of league placings but because we wanted a decent team to go into the champs/uefa leagues with, and maybe thought we had a tilt a decent cup run too. As everyone of value leaves the club however, those decisions start to look like the short-termism. We got pumped in Europe and in the cups, and are left with a massive rebuilding job and a manager negotiating personal terms in sheffield, and right now we are as as likely to be fighting relegation next season as the europa group stage. I can't help but feel let down by that. Mccall took a big gamble with our squad and now doesn't fancy the tough bit. Sheffield is hardly a unique opportunity in a managerial career, whatever anyone says, and it would have meant a lot more if he had the stomach for a years' rebuild.

Fair enough, if he goes, that's football, and of course he is entitled to cash in while his stock is high. But it casts a shadow over his time here that we are left in such a mess. If we now lose our manager and every out of contract player through 'sinking ship' syndrome, and whoever takes over fails to throw together a competitive squad, I guarantee we will not be looking back so fondly on this lopsided season, during which lost all our big games without scoring but showed enough league form to get everyone a nice move elsewhere.

• Like 2

I think you're being a bit unfair laying the blame - if their is any blame- at the managers feet. Yes he would have argued to keep the squad but the board - and supporters - also backed him. It may have been a gamble that didn't pay off but most will agree that it was the correct decision.As far as I'm aware no great offers were made for player who are now out of contract, the club offered them all new contracts which they've decided not to accept or are still considering, so I don't really see what could have been done differently.

• Like 1

The article was let down by this peach of a claim.

regardless of what he achieved with us managing at fir park was the springboard to a hugely succesful managerial career for mcleish.

even the managers who were unsuccessful at fir park ended up with very good jobs after they left. black at coventry, malpas at swindon, gannon at peterborugh. i'd wager that apart from kampmann every manager we have had going back to mclean has earned more in their next job which has to make us an attractive prospect to potential managers.