Mccall

Squirrelhumper

I think you're being a bit unfair laying the blame - if their is any blame- at the managers feet. Yes he would have argued to keep the squad but the board - and supporters - also backed him. It may have been a gamble that didn't pay off but most will agree that it was the correct decision.As far as I'm aware no great offers were made for player who are now out of contract, the club offered them all new contracts which they've decided not to accept or are still considering, so I don't really see what could have been done differently.

'Laying the blame' would be harsh i think, i'm not really looking to do that. I think he did a great job on balance. My point is that the particular timing, and state we now find ourselves in, has to impact on his lagacy. He has been saying for the last two months that he woulsd stay, a few of our out of contract players would stay, and a few would leave. Looks now like he and they will all leave, and that leaves us in an extremely vulranable. He bears some responsibility for that shift.

Cheers for the negative rep by the way (whoever it was), you want to back that up? Is everyone meant to post the same thing?

Don't you think if it was possible McCall would have had the players on 3 and 4 year contracts?

It's not really his fault that all the contracts have expired in the same year. I assume the board take care of contract negotiations. I'm not sure what more he could have done.

regardless of what he achieved with us managing at fir park was the springboard to a hugely succesful managerial career for mcleish.

even the managers who were unsuccessful at fir park ended up with very good jobs after they left. black at coventry, malpas at swindon, gannon at peterborugh. i'd wager that apart from kampmann every manager we have had going back to mclean has earned more in their next job which has to make us an attractive prospect to potential managers.

I don't think you got my point. I don't disagree with this post and I don't think I disputed that in my post that you quoted.

Don't you think if it was possible McCall would have had the players on 3 and 4 year contracts?

It's not really his fault that all the contracts have expired in the same year. I assume the board take care of contract negotiations. I'm not sure what more he could have done.

Two things he could have done:

1. Punted a few of the players with one year left and reinvested in the squad to avoid the whole team going ooc at one time;

Or

2. Taken the hit last year to keep our team together, then stuck around to rebuild the squad.

Looks like he has gone for 3. Take the hit then bail in the middle of contract negotiations with the ooc players meaning, by their own admission they will be as well to move on (possibly to sheffield). I like mccall and hope he stays by the way, that's kind of my point.

I don't think you got my point. I don't disagree with this post and I don't think I disputed that in my post that you quoted.

the article isn't about what motherwell achieved as a club it's about what the manager's achieved personally and mcleish has been the most succesful.

1. Punted a few of the players with one year left and reinvested in the squad to avoid the whole team going ooc at one time;

Or

2. Taken the hit last year to keep our team together, then stuck around to rebuild the squad.

Looks like he has gone for 3. Take the hit then bail in the middle of contract negotiations with the ooc players meaning, by their own admission they will be as well to move on (possibly to sheffield). I like mccall and hope he stays by the way, that's kind of my point.

You can only punt players that have a buyer. As I said I think the board take care of the contracts and it seems they like to run them down and hope the players re-sign. This happened with Jennings and Sutton previously.

You can argue the toss about what McCall should and should not have done. That is all conjecture.

What is fact is he has taken a Motherwell team on an average budget to a cup final and 2 best of the rest finishes in 2.5 seasons.

In my eyes that is a fantastic achievement and he should be lauded for what he has achieved. Some fans on here cannot bring themselves to admit that just because he could be leaving.

If he goes - good luck to him. If he stays I will be delighted.

• Like 6

You can argue the toss about what McCall should and should not have done. That is all conjecture.

What is fact is he has taken a Motherwell team on an average budget to a cup final and 2 best of the rest finishes in 2.5 seasons.

In my eyes that is a fantastic achievement and he should be lauded for what he has achieved. Some fans on here cannot bring themselves to admit that just because he could be leaving.

If he goes - good luck to him. If he stays I will be delighted.

This 100%. Well said Welldaft

If that's aimed at me, you'll note I recognised his acheivements in my posts.

Why does it have to be good guy / wank? Gannon was a nutter BUT he brought a lot of good players to the club. McLeish got second BUT he dismatled a good team and left us weaker than he found us. Are these not are recognised legacies of these managers? If we are left near teamless by a manager who says himself he inherited an excellent team, is that not a relevant factor to balance agaisnt his league acheivements? Genuine questions...

• Like 1

Calm down to a panic itb.

You have made valid points, but I stick by my viewpoint that if McCall leaves and probably even if he stays, we are unlikely to achieve anywhere near the success he has brought to the club.

Plenty of Managers have inherited good squads and still made a mess of things. It is telling that all players from our 1st team squad respect and trust McCall and that allows us to get to get the best out of them.

As I said I hope he stays and re-builds the squad for next season.

• Like 1

We are all Motherwell through and through and we are ALL worried about what may happen if McCall goes and none of the out of contract players sign on for next season.

That would mean we are looking for 1 Manager and up to 10 1st team players. If that happens and we are still a success next season then we will be truly blessed......

Still it would make for an exciting summer :-)

While I'm sure he has a say in these matters, it's really the board that makes decisions like this.