Mccall

Squirrelhumper

A couple of months ago when Danny Wilson got the sack was at Fir Park and I mentioned that he might be off to Sheff utd,to a contact at the club, they said no way he had just signed the new contract and bought a big house with stables between the Hamilton and Strathaven and he was very settled in Scotland.

Also heard from a "source", who knows family member of Craig Samson, that he was at Fir park to sign and he asked McCall for guarantees that he would be here next season.....and he could not give them and hence he never signed.

Ach well we will find out over the next few days/weeks ..................:blush:

I guess some people think that now his head has been turned once, there might be some question mark over his future commitment so it would have been better to let him go before it had the chance to waver again (and while we'd have made some cash out of him into the bargain).

Always makes me smile when I read "some people" when it should read "I".

Do you not think that as a former assistant manager and the relatively small sector he works in of 100-120 jobs in the UK (half being off limits as they've got long term appointees or poison chalices) it would make sense to burn his bridges and snub a club going about seeking his services in the correct manner? By which I mean they approach the club formally and request it opposed to sneeky shit. Don't you think the way he conducts himself both in post match interviews and any general dealings show his character is incomparable with that of McGhee and the two coffin dodgers?

Of course there is no pleasing some people. I for one am happy to retain his services and if he does move on I wish him all the best as he's a gentleman who has created an atmosphere which make our little club that little bit more attractive for a player. There were cries of impending doom when he was appointed by many, when Jennings waved goodbye, etc. and here we are, a club with 3,000 core support enjoying success that most others in the league outwith Celtic would snap our fingers off for.

If he does end up at Rangers like Law eventually I'll look back at what he did while in claret and amber and be thankful we had them during this period opposed to being labelling them a Judas for moving on for more money and greater opportunity (Granted Law may have to wait a couple of years for that), because few people on this forum would do anything different in their own career progression.

• Like 3

Always makes me smile when I read "some people" when it should read "I".

Me too. Helpfully, though, I pointed out in the next paragraph what my own position is :) Nor have I said in any other post that I'd rather McCall was leaving, because (if I didn't make it clear enough last time) I'd rather he stayed.

Great news. Now lets just get behind the full team and keep the good news coming, Faddy next with Higgy to follow would be my dream. 22 pages of guessing when a wee bit of just waiting to see and stop being taken in by guys in the pub and news rags and we are once again sitting pretty drinks.gif

Mon The Well!!!!!!!

Delighted he's staying.

He'd already been quoted that he was in no rush to leave the club but if someone came in for him he'd talk to them out of courtesy. He's done that, decided it's not for him and he's better off where he is. Bear in mind he also had an affinity with Utd.

If we're doing well, yeah other teams will be in for him, that's the way of the game. However if he's doing well, so are we.

We can now concentrate on building for next season and getting some players signed up.

Hopefully Higgy's "I might stay, if McCall stays" changes to a definite. Faddy would be good as well.

• Like 2

If he is staying then I am absolutely delighted about that. He is the one person out of all the names that have been linked with leaving us this summer that I had the real fears about, if it happened.

Maybe we are just lucky to have a manager with some real integrity and honesty, a very rare thing in most businesses especially football.

Maybe we are just lucky to have a manager with some real integrity and honesty, a very rare thing in most businesses especially football.

'Maybe we are just lucky' that Sheffield United next season is a tougher job than he thought it was before he went for the interview.

Stuart McCall is happy at Motherwell. He is also not short of a bob or two having enjoyed a pretty successful career.

Id wager he wont be jumping ship unless he thinks his next job is the right fit.

Clearly something about the Sheffield Utd job didnt feel quite right otherwise he would be away.

Still be happier when I hear it confirmed from him or Motherwell FC.

I dont think any manager with any integrity would go on record as saying he would be staying with us and do a u-turn two days later.........

Quotes from McCall.

Stuart McCall stays at Motherwell after Sheffield Utd talks

Stuart McCall has decided to stay on as Motherwell manager following talks with Sheffield United.

McCall, who is a former Blades player and coach, held discussions with the League One club about the vacancy.

Danny Wilson left Bramall Lane in April and caretaker Chris Morgan oversaw an unsuccessful promotion play-off campaign.

McCall told BBC Radio Sheffield: "It was a tough decision, but I've decided to turn down the job."

Motherwell finished second in the Scottish Premier League this season, sealing a place in next season's Europa League qualifying rounds.

McCall recently signed a two-year contract extension, tying him to the Fir Park club until 2015.

Is that enough to convince folk?

I can't understand the criticism and negativity that has been directed at OUR manager over this. The plain and simple facts are, a man applies for a job which would bring a sizable wage increase something we have all done or would do. It may be the case that you are successful and are offered the position but after hearing what the contract details and budget constraints are you decide to decline the offer.

I think that in his short time at our club he has built up a good relationship with the players,fans and officials and feels a real belonging to the club. I also believe that him singing a 2 year contract is his way of ensuring the club do not lose out financially if he did leave, he could have refused a new deal and that would have made it easier for other clubs to come in for him without having to pay compensation.

I think he deserves a huge amount of credit and respect no matter what happens.

What he has done here is incredible and we need to appreciate what we have while we have it. You always tend to feel hard done by when things are going well and players and managers move on, at the end of the day this is the way things are with our club it always has been and always will be.

At the end of the day we feel passionately about our club and i for one looking at other clubs and their beliefs and situations think we are lucky with what we have and and proud to support the club,i would not have it any other way.

• Like 6

Maybe he realised it's not such a big job to partially rebuild this successful squad as rebuilding from scratch down there, or maybe big Higgy tellt him he wisnae going as low as League 1 :rolleyes:

Who knows, wisnae bothered if he left, happy that he's staying, season tickets already purchased so no dramas here, still be standing in my usual spot come August come what may :thumbup:

• Like 1

I can't understand the criticism and negativity that has been directed at OUR manager over this. The plain and simple facts are, a man applies for a job which would bring a sizable wage increase something we have all done or would do. It may be the case that you are successful and are offered the position but after hearing what the contract details and budget constraints are you decide to decline the offer.

I think that in his short time at our club he has built up a good relationship with the players,fans and officials and feels a real belonging to the club. I also believe that him singing a 2 year contract is his way of ensuring the club do not lose out financially if he did leave, he could have refused a new deal and that would have made it easier for other clubs to come in for him without having to pay compensation.

I think he deserves a huge amount of credit and respect no matter what happens.

What he has done here is incredible and we need to appreciate what we have while we have it. You always tend to feel hard done by when things are going well and players and managers move on, at the end of the day this is the way things are with our club it always has been and always will be.

At the end of the day we feel passionately about our club and i for one looking at other clubs and their beliefs and situations think we are lucky with what we have and and proud to support the club,i would not have it any other way.

+1

Soapy, I agree with your comments but at the start you state that he applied for the Utd job, my understanding is that they approached Motherwell who then allowed him to talk with Utd. As far as I know the only thing SMcC has done is go have a chat, which given that the club were willing to let him go, is no great deal.

This is like a thread on getting tickets for a European game.Instead of worring and greeting about what might happen and who might be to blame ,we should all remember that things always work themselves out in the end . Enjoy the sunshine folks cheers.gif

Telt yeez thumbup.gif