Mccall

Squirrelhumper

We are ALL Stuart McCall......

.......which technically means we can all bask in the glory of this award!

Except those that wanted him gone earlier in the season of course. You know who you are!

• Like 1

I've had my reservations about McCall in the past but I highlighted various aspects of his managerial reign that I felt had to be improved upon (either last season or at the beginning of this season I can't remember) and most of them have been addressed since then.

Old Firm Record - won the last two so that's been sorted out

Home record - gone from having a poor home record to an excellent home record, only Dundee Utd have beaten us at Fir Park stretching back to October.

More entertaining football - despite the high league finish last season I felt we were often a bit stodgy to watch, this season we have played a much better style of football.

His cup record isn't so good and was the major black spot of the season, especially the Rangers match, we need to see some improvement there especially since it's unlikely (but not impossible) we'll finish in the top two or three next season.

The other thing I've mentioned in the past was that I felt that McCall was fortunate to inherit a good team that was already established as one of the better teams in the league and his managerial abilities would be really tested with a major squad rebuild.

That will happen next season, we'll see how he does with that. Hopefully well.

If he goes it will be a shame, but he is going to leave at some point anyway. He might as well do it at the end of the season immediatley after signing a new contract. That way, we get the compo and the new man has a summer to rebuild.

Still hope he stays right enough.

I have a feeling if he does go it might be for Doncaster rather than Sheffield Utd. If he goes to Sheffield he's walking into more or less the same situation he had at Bradford, Utd are hitting their 3rd season in League 1 and their budget must be taking a massive hit all the while they are still probably the team everyone expects of win promotion.

The Doncaster chairman has already said he's considering Butcher for the job, McCall must be on his list too.

Would be a disaster if McCall left at this stage of the season as it would almost certainly mean none of the out of contract players would re-resign.

Great. Just fucking great.

Need to wait and see what happens though.

Would be a disaster if McCall left at this stage of the season as it would almost certainly mean none of the out of contract players would re-resign.

Great. Just fucking great.

Need to wait and see what happens though.

Don't think that is quite the case. Doesn't help much either though. Better now than in a few weeks though, or a few weeks back before he signed a new contract.

Given, signing his son on his first pro contract at the club and the Scottish coaching position (remarked by Strachan and McGhoo his being based in Scotland as a positive) I'd thought he would continue in his current role. Perhaps he sees it differently and wishes to bow out on a high?

can he do more than what he has already done??

i got the feeling thats why Houston left Utd - he done well with what he had and got the recognition for it, but when he seen what was on the table for the following season - he thought my CV looks good just now, if i stay its a downwards spiral - his stock was at an all time high and he wanted to bow out at that point so his CV didnt take a bashing or he wasnt shown the door by Utd

maybe McCall thinks the same?

although everything he has said in public has been fairly positive IMO

maybe he thinks the rebuilding job will be a difficult task and doesnt want to take the chance that it damages his CV? we need to remember, he didnt come here with a great record and its only now he's managed to raise his stock again.

It would be disappointing to lose him - but like some of the players, if they move on, they will be hard to replace but they will be replaced. If he goes - good luck to him

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if he doesn't fancy a rebuilding job seeing as that was exactly the requirements before he signed his new contract.

I'm not saying I'd be surprised if he moved on, but if that is the reason, then it seems strange that he signed a new contract under those conditions.

when McCall signed a new contract - the "stalling" was all down to the compensation part of it AFAIK

he signed a new contract because he enjoys it here and he has been successful, BUT, like everyone else, at one point he will want to move on up the chain - i have no problem with that

Motherwell wanted to cover themselves if he went, but at the same time McCall wanted to make sure the amount due, wouldnt put off potentional suitors

Maybe he was always going to go - and by signing a new contract it meant he was making sure sure MFC got some £££ - a kind of thanks for taking a punt on me when no one else would

if he stays - then great.

if he goes - then good luck to him

I'd be surprised if he doesn't fancy a rebuilding job seeing as that was exactly the requirements before he signed his new contract.

I'm not saying I'd be surprised if he moved on, but if that is the reason, then it seems strange that he signed a new contract under those conditions.

Don't disagree with any of that, but I suppose for the sake of argument, possible scenarios could include a) no other tempting offers on the table at the time, so better to have some job than no job; b) actual finances or other resources available for next season turning out to be even less than anticipated when re-signing; c) genuine attempt to help out a club he's developed some affinity for, by ensuring they'll get compensation when he moves on.