Mccall

Squirrelhumper

Pretty sure I saw Coyle somewhere recently saying he had already knocked back several offers of work , think he is holding out for a route back in at Championship level down south . Would be a great appointment for us but out our price range by a good distance too I would think .

Agree with some others that Hartley may be a decent prospect , will have a good knowledge of any emerging youngsters in our lower tiers and he may be able to tap into info on the English scene through folk like Coyle and Malky McKay , could do worse imo .

If/when McCall goes i wouldn't mind Hartley he has done well with Alloa and should have a few contacts in the game to bring in players as per our recent appointments.I can't see Adams coming here he was subject to fair bit of abuse from our support (surprise surprise) during his time here also he previously knocked back Aberdeen who are seen to be a bigger club than us.

Nah, I wouldn't be convinced. I think there's always a danger that you automatically assume that a 'leader' on the pitch, like Craigan, would translate into a good manager. For what it's worth, I think he'd be a good man-manager and would certainly be able to get a team going (similar to Butcher, I suppose), but does he have any coaching experience?

I wouldn't be averse to Hartley if it came to it, but I'd be concerned that he's a little untested at a decent level. Going down the English lower league route has served us well in the past, both in terms of getting a manager who has something to prove, but also in giving us a pool of relatively unknown talent that can be tapped into.

I still think McCall will stay - with Pulis now leaving Stoke I would imagine he'd also be slightly higher up the pecking order for Sheffield Utd.

The thing with being an out of work manager is you go out of vogue pretty quickly. I think you have a decent chance of getting a manager normally out of your bracket if they have been out of work for a wee while.

The question is, do you want to make what is probably going to be a short term appointment or do you think longer term?

Think about Mark McGhee, he had one eye out the door after one good season and I think Coyle, or anyone else of that ilk would be the same.

Methinks a journalist coming on here and seeing his name mentioned and running with it. Or to be more cynical, a guy who played for Hibs and Hearts having friendly journalists on an Edinburgh paper willing to boost his profile...

Ever since he got promotion the other day the media have been saying that it's only a matter of time before Hartley was a manager of an SPL team. They have been speaking about him being destined for greatness. It was a certainty that the first SPL job to become available Hartley was going to be linked with it.

Anyway I have already mentioned McAllister but what about John Collins?

The thing with being an out of work manager is you go out of vogue pretty quickly. I think you have a decent chance of getting a manager normally out of your bracket if they have been out of work for a wee while.

The question is, do you want to make what is probably going to be a short term appointment or do you think longer term?

Think about Mark McGhee, he had one eye out the door after one good season and I think Coyle, or anyone else of that ilk would be the same.

The question is would you rather finish high up the league and lose your manager every 2 to 3 seasons or be mediocre like a St Mirren/Kilmarnock and have your manager longer term. In my opinion if we keep losing our managers we are doing something right.

Pettigrew On McCall Leaving.

From Evening Times

MOTHERWELL cult hero Willie Pettigrew admits Sheffield United's approach to speak to manager Stuart McCall is the news he has been dreading.

The Blades have axed gaffer Danny Wilson after they failed to make it back to the Championship, with McCall at the top of their wishlist to replace him alongside MK Dons boss Karl Robinson.

The Fir Park manager did sign a new two-year deal just a couple of months back, but it is understood the contract has a compensation clause which would allow a club to snap up the 48-year-old from it if a figure could be agreed.

McCall has already enjoyed a spell at Bramall Lane as assistant gaffer to Neil Warnock back in 2006 when the duo took the Yorkshire club back to the Barclays Premier Leauge, while he also starred in the United midfield for three years as a player.

The former Scotland international has guided the Steelmen into Europe for the last two seasons and claimed a new SPL club record of 63 points this term, en route to a second-placed finish while also having taken Well to the Scottish Cup final two years ago.

And Pettigrew fears that the emotional pull of his former team, plus a feeling that he has done everything he can at the Lanarkshire club, may prove decisive.

The Motherwell icon said: "We knew there would be a fair amount of change at the club this season with players coming and going, but the only person I was concerned about exiting was Stuart.

"You have to say that the manager has done a fantastic job over his time at Fir Park and it is a concern that he may well feel he has achieved all he can at Motherwell.

"Stuart has progressed the club in very impressive fashion but he is probably asking himself 'how can I take Motherwell any further?'.

"I think that is a question that any manager asks himself when he has achieved as much as Stuart has with a team, and he knows that once again he will face his budget being cut.

"Added to that, Darren Randolph and Nicky Law have already gone and I would imagine that Michael Higdon and maybe another two or three others who are out of contract will be off.

"So Stuart has a huge job on his hands at Motherwell this summer, if he stays, just to keep the club where they are next season."

McCall is currently in Benidorm with most of his first-team squad on a post-season break and is not due to return until tomorrow.

But by that time the Well board could have granted permission for United to make their approach.

Pettigrew added: "Sheffield United are a very big club and despite the fact they are in League One, they regularly attract crowds of over 20,000.

"Stuart knows all about the club and its history. Jamie Murphy went down there in January as well.

"While my heart hopes that Stuart will stay at Motherwell, my head is telling me he would be silly to turn Sheffield United down if he is eventually offered the job."

Ever since he got promotion the other day the media have been saying that it's only a matter of time before Hartley was a manager of an SPL team. They have been speaking about him being destined for greatness. It was a certainty that the first SPL job to become available Hartley was going to be linked with it.

Anyway I have already mentioned McAllister but what about John Collins?

How many times have we heard that about youth players at Parkhead and Ibrox? Most of the Scottish media know fuck all about football with a prime example being Craig Levein getting a comfy ride in the national job despite him making a pigs ear of it.

a new manager will have to sign at least 6 players immediately and people want someone who has never managed or coached a full time professional team or been involved with signing professional players?

shotts bon accord won the scottish junior cup last season, we might as well go for their manager.

a new manager will have to sign at least 6 players immediately and people want someone who has never managed or coached a full time professional team or been involved with signing professional players?

shotts bon accord won the scottish junior cup last season, we might as well go for their manager.

This plus add in the fact he has little knowledge of English lower leagues which have proved a fruitful hunting ground for us, I doubt we'd go for Hartley should McCall leave.

I'm really hoping that McCall will stay, however if he gets offered the job he'll grab the opportunity with both hands I'm sure. Huge club, that will pay a lot more money than we do and will have much more resources. I can also imagine McCall being in a strong position in any interview by simply stating that he'll be able to take the likes of Law, Higdon, Humphrey, Hately and even possibly Faddy with him to sheffield - the players seem to love him and with an increased wage and a reasonable stage, with the real opportunity to move up to teh Championship I reckon they would all follow him.

As for who I would want to replace him? I'm actually very relaxed about this, over the past few years we have a great record of managerial appointments, of which fans of other (bigger) clubs are rightly jealous of. I'm thoroughly relaxed at the thought of our board seeking high and low for a new gaffer and not jumping in with two feet at some of the names being suggested here or in the media.

For what its worth, who on here would have come up with the name Mark McGhee to replace Malpish? Gannon to replace McGhee? Brown to replace Gannon? McCall to replace Brown?? Not me thats for sure...

Again, though I'd steer clear of Hartley, for all the great job he has done with Alloa, we dont need an unproven guy with limited contacts down South. Joe Jordan would have no interest in it, and from what I've heard he's a bit of a fanny anyway. Craigan, see Paul Hartley except he is 100times less experienced. Gary Mac would be an interesting one, but he's previously knocked it back before, does he have the heart for it? Nijholt, Van der Gaag, doubt they'd be interested. John Collins, seems to last 5mins in a job before getting bored or the sack. Mark McGhee, the season book money will be staying in my pocket if he gets anywhere near the job.

In summary, I really hope the Blades dont offer him the job, but if they do he'll be away, and I wouldnt grudge him the move for a second and if he does I trust the board to continue their successful recruitment process.

2 other names to throw into the mix. One good, one that fills me with fear. Good option would be Alan Johnston, not sure how much he would cost tho. One other obvious one would be John Hughes, just sacked from Hartlepool. That would be a terrible move, but a cheap option.

Again, I can't say I'm particularly enthused by any lower league manager, but that's not to say they wouldn't do a job. A lot of us weren't exactly thrilled when McCall took over, but its turned out ok!

No point in worrying - if he goes, he goes. Clubs like ours operate on 2-3 year cycles in any case, sometimes longer, this is just the start of another one.

How has Paul Hartley got no knowledge of the English leagues? How would anyone know that?

he has had no reason professionally to study it. alloa are almost exclusively part time scottish players with a few young scottish loans thrown in.

considering the amount of effort that is put into managing a part time club i have my doubts whether he was spending much time identifying players he is never going to sign or line up against.