Club Badge

underboyleheating

The club badge has been around since 1983 and over the years various sections are looking the worst for wear. The two main problem parts for me are the Steelworks and the fir tree silhouettes. The Steelworks look more like a silhouette of a paddle steamer and the three fir trees have been reduced to vague tree shaped blobs. The original would have been drawn by hand and would have bore little resemblance to the current version. Since the advent of computer graphics the badge will have gone through some auto trace software which will have attempted to copy the original. This is the equivalent to photocopying a photocopy of the badge several times and hoping that it will be as good as the original. This along with some poor computer draughtsmanship will not have helped the cause. paint.gif

With various clubs giving their badges a makeover in recent years, I suggest that we make some subtle alterations to our current design. The overall look and feel would remain the same, however the Steelworks and trees would hopefully be more recognisable. I am not suggesting a complete redesign, just some subtle changes to a 30 year old badge. I have quickly sketched how I envisage a new badge would look, in doing this I have opted to use a classic view of the Steelworks and added some much needed detail back into the fir trees.

Redesigning anything to do with a clubs heritage can be very emotive (Everton’s newly redesigned badge is a case in point), however l believe certain aspects should be upgraded every now and then.

I have my tin hat at the ready. paladin.gifph34r.gif

231z7p.jpg

• Like 11

Like!

Good job man

(Ps. See everton have reversed their decision and opted NOT to change at the moment, because of the furore?)

I think the trick is to be subtle, you tend to forget that these badges were drawn so long ago and a lot of them can start to look a bit tired.

I think the trick is to be subtle, you tend to forget that these badges were drawn so long ago and a lot of them do begin to look a bit tired.

I'd like to see just a wee bit more of an adjustment, like getting shot of the surrounding ribbon altogether. Increasing the size of the shield and incorporating the club name and year either within the shield or in plain writing top and bottom.

1369765613[/url]' post='384563']

I think the trick is to be subtle, you tend to forget that these badges were drawn so long ago and a lot of them do begin to look a bit tired.

Subtle you say? What's subtle about a white coloured 18 panel ball getting lumped in the middle of the design?

• Like 6

Subtle you say? What's subtle about a white coloured 18 panel ball getting lumped in the middle of the design?

Going by some recent redesigns this is subtle. We occasionally bring the ball out in white rather than amber. Personally I prefer a little bit of white in the design, however the ball could revert back to the original design.

I like your steelworks modification (the original never did fit that space very well), and a more modern-looking font isn't a bad idea either, though pick the wrong one and it'll date quicker than you'd like.

But to be honest, the rest of it still looks fine the way it is to me… the extra detail on your fir trees just makes them look a bit fuzzy, and I always did like the black and white hexagonal/pentagonal panel footballs best :)

Am more positive than negative.

The Fir Trees tidy-up is excellent. However, why use the Ravenscraig silhouette ? In 1886 the Craig didn't exist, but I do see why its there.

I like the white ball. I have a Motherwell FC lapel badge somewhere with a similar white ball in the middle.

I would like to see what the claret diagonals across the centre turned into one solid claret band would look like.

Alternatively ..................... why not totally simplify: an amber round with a claret band across the centre and Motherwell FC Est. 1886 within the band in amber text.

Your design is hideous when next to the current badge however, looking at it on its own it isn't bad. I think the ribbon around the edge needs to keep its shape though. Don't think we should have an almost completely round badge. Apart from that, I'd have to call that design immaculate for what it does to the current badge.

EDIT: Apologies, hideous is a bit too strong but you see my point?

• Like 1

That is fantastic. The steelworks has always looked like a ship to me so getting the close up to fill the while bottom of the shield is great work! I like the trees too. Also the ribbon 'fold' is a subtle but modern touch too. Not fussed on the ball, perhaps if it was claret? The touch of white around the shield is nice and perhaps enough white.

Really hope the club take a look at this and consider it.

On the whole I think it looks pretty good.

I like the Fir Trees and the 'Craig design is much better. Our nickname is the Steelmen so would like to keep that.

Not sure about the ball. Not sure if its the white or the older style ball.

Think the font looks fine, but would love to see what it looks like with the font off of the 125th anniversary shirt.

Dont know how long these things take UBH, could you rattle off some alternatives with folks suggestions?

Could have a poll to find a winner!